Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

hand luggage and meds on flight

Wikiposts

hand luggage and meds on flight

Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:46 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default hand luggage and meds on flight

Hi all,

I'm flying back to the UK on Saturday with Thomas Cook and I know they are a bit tight on what they allow in terms of hand luggage. I know its 5kg and certain sizes which isn't a problem, but are us ladies allowed to carry a handbag also or is is just my computer case that i'll have to carry my purse etc in?

Also i want to take some pain killers and some melatonin on board with me as I'm still suffering whip lash and can only afford cattle class so i'm going to be in lots of pain for the longgggg flight home. I also wanted to take some melatonin so that my son and I can sleep (its natural stuff not prescribed stuff), so do you think this is allowed?
Thanks again see you in sunny UK soon
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hand luggage and meds on flight

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Hi all,

I'm flying back to the UK on Saturday with Thomas Cook and I know they are a bit tight on what they allow in terms of hand luggage. I know its 5kg and certain sizes which isn't a problem, but are us ladies allowed to carry a handbag also or is is just my computer case that i'll have to carry my purse etc in?

Also i want to take some pain killers and some melatonin on board with me as I'm still suffering whip lash and can only afford cattle class so i'm going to be in lots of pain for the longgggg flight home. I also wanted to take some melatonin so that my son and I can sleep (its natural stuff not prescribed stuff), so do you think this is allowed?
Thanks again see you in sunny UK soon
Standard medications should be fine (but you didn't specify the particular painkiller and whether it is prescription). Ibuprofen, Acetominophen (Paracetomol), etc., are on sale in the UK, for example so I don't see why they would be a problem.

Melatonin is (I believe) no longer allowed to be sold in the UK, so I'm not sure whether there would be an issue with bringing it into the UK.

Of course, if you are talking about a bagful of Vicodin, that would be a completely different issue.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:04 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
Standard medications should be fine (but you didn't specify the particular painkiller and whether it is prescription). Ibuprofen, Acetominophen (Paracetomol), etc., are on sale in the UK, for example so I don't see why they would be a problem.

Melatonin is (I believe) no longer allowed to be sold in the UK, so I'm not sure whether there would be an issue with bringing it into the UK.

Of course, if you are talking about a bagful of Vicodin, that would be a completely different issue.
lol...it would be some Aleve, tylanol and we could hide a couple of melatonin in the tylanol container and put the rest in our case?
Don't understand this issue with Melatonin its great to help you sleep and no groggy side affects!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

When I travelled to and from the US with Thomsonfly I was allowed to take my laptop and my handbag without any problems. I also have to take painkillers - paracetamol because I always get a headache with the stress of flyingand I usually have a herbal remedy (can't remember the name of it) which I take to de-stress me because of my fear of flying and so far nobody has stopped me or mentioned it being a problem. Hope you have a great flight back to the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
lol...it would be some Aleve, tylanol and we could hide a couple of melatonin in the tylanol container and put the rest in our case?
Don't understand this issue with Melatonin its great to help you sleep and no groggy side affects!!
Melatonin used to be available in the UK, I'm not sure when/why it was removed from the approved list of herbal remedies.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:49 am
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by dunroving
Melatonin used to be available in the UK, I'm not sure when/why it was removed from the approved list of herbal remedies.
oh well i'll give it a whirl and see what happens!! thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: hand luggage and meds on flight

FYI:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...uk-762721.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle1011206.ece

Since you are only taking enough for personal consumption, you will be fine taking in Melatonin (and Tylenol!)