Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Half the year in UK, Half in Australia

Half the year in UK, Half in Australia

Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Half the year in UK, Half in Australia

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Does the reciprocal arrangement only work if you are a resident in Australia though. In the same way that you are not entitled to free health in the UK if you are out of the country for 6 months and a day - does a similar arrangement not apply to Australia. After all, you cannot spend 6 months and a day in each in any given year.

Incidentally I went to my local doctor to find that I had been de-registered - but sorted that out straight away and was referred and had to prove my residency status. Very specifically they did not allow financial records as proof. I said that I had been in the UK since Nov and intended to stay more than 6 months and emailed them a copy of my Council Tax bill which they were happy with. My treatment was not delayed at all by this.

They are getting serious about health tourism now.
There are other countries which have a reciprocal health care arrangement with the UK, not just Aus. Someone was commenting last night in a thread on the Barbados forum that it exists with Barbados too. Its just dependent on whether both countries have agreed to provide reciprocal health care to each other residents.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Veekay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veekay

Same with a car, Do we rent or own or a combination of both given issues of tax and insurance.

Health insurance, Taxation issues, other issues??

Has anyone done this, currently doing this, or have advice on any of the above issues? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Any thoughts on the car issue. Is it practical to buy one, pay road tax and insurance, keep it for 5/6 months and then hope to sell and not make a substantial loss?

Or is renting for this period a more practical solution? Given that everything is included and we just hand back the keys when we leave? Providing of course we can find a company who has reasonable rates for a long term rental deal.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Buying and selling may be the best option. A few years ago we spent six weeks in UK managing to buy and sell at the same price so paid only insurance cost. Even a small loss is way ahead of renting as long as you don't mind driving some thing a bit out of date.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:02 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are other countries which have a reciprocal health care arrangement with the UK, not just Aus. Someone was commenting last night in a thread on the Barbados forum that it exists with Barbados too. Its just dependent on whether both countries have agreed to provide reciprocal health care to each other residents.
I know this. But the key issue is - are you resident. Take the scenario of 6 months in each place in a year. If you are in Aus then you have left the UK and so you are not a resident of the UK (because you are away for 6 months) - so you cannot benefit from a reciprocal arrangement. When you come back to the UK you may still be resident in Aus - but I doubt it and so your entitlement to a reciprocal is questionable. On your return to UK for your next 6 month period you are not ordinarily resident for tax purposes nor for the purposes of benefits because it is not your intention to stay (for tax at least it is about 2 years intention) so you don't qualify for NHS or other benefits because you do not meet the habitual residency criteria.

In effect you become what used to be a perpetual traveller which used to be a tax dodge.

I'm sorry but in my view such a scheme is designed to maintain benefit, pension (incountries where it is frozen) and health using a freedom of movement that they are quite entitled to. Sometimes people even make false declarations - 'of course I'm going to stay in the UK for 2 years!'

...No, I'm sure that the last assertion never happens.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

As retirement approaches, my wife and I have been considering the option of living half the year in the UK and the other half in Australia. We have lived in Australia for 30 years (mainly Brisbane), have dual citizenship, and maintain strong ties with the UK through annual visits during that time.

Adopting this lifestyle raises a number of issues including:

Do we own and maintain homes in both locations or rent in the UK for the months we are there? We would look to avoid living with family or friends as we would like to maintain some independence. If we own in one or both locations, do we look to rent out the property when not there?

Are serviced apartments an option? House Swaps?

Same with a car, Do we rent or own or a combination of both given issues of tax and insurance.

Health insurance, Taxation issues, other issues??

Has anyone done this, currently doing this, or have advice on any of the above issues? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Have u thought of living on the canals in the UK?-I have a canal boat in Rugby.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Yes, the canal boat is an interesting option and one we should seriously consider. Particularly as the canal system is opening up more and more as time goes on.

We enjoyed a canal boat holiday in the late 90's cruising along the River Avon from Stratford to Tewkesbury and back again. A great experience.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:06 am
Just Joined

I know this. But the key issue is - are you resident. Take the scenario of 6 months in each place in a year. If you are in Aus then you have left the UK and so you are not a resident of the UK (because you are away for 6 months) - so you cannot benefit from a reciprocal arrangement. When you come back to the UK you may still be resident in Aus - but I doubt it and so your entitlement to a reciprocal is questionable. On your return to UK for your next 6 month period you are not ordinarily resident for tax purposes nor for the purposes of benefits because it is not your intention to stay (for tax at least it is about 2 years intention) so you don't qualify for NHS or other benefits because you do not meet the habitual residency criteria.

In effect you become what used to be a perpetual traveller which used to be a tax dodge.

I'm sorry but in my view such a scheme is designed to maintain benefit, pension (incountries where it is frozen) and health using a freedom of movement that they are quite entitled to. Sometimes people even make false declarations - 'of course I'm going to stay in the UK for 2 years!'

...No, I'm sure that the last assertion never happens.
The medical entitlements issue is obviously very complicated and will need some serious research before we decide how long we are able to spend in each location. I think you are correct in that although we are citizens of both countries (dual nationality), it will come down to the residency or domicile issue.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Have u thought of living on the canals in the UK?-I have a canal boat in Rugby.
Ineresting. Do you live on the boat full time or just use it for recreational purposes? Is it maintenance intensive?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnh009
Ineresting. Do you live on the boat full time or just use it for recreational purposes? Is it maintenance intensive?
Unfortunately I have just received news that my canal boat has sank with my stuff on board-I had people looking after it but not good enough I am afraid-I am running around trying to get it re-floated- If I haven't got enough to do with only one month to go. Which goes to show its so difficult being away -If we hadn't come back to Australia it would have been alright-we are TOO far away-I did live on it for 7 months but the boat I have is TOO OLD-no central heating etc-I am still quite new to it and didn't understand the maintenance issue enough as rain water has penetrated the engine compartment-It could work but MUCH more planning and the understanding that u simply cant just do it! I can provide any info u require so u dont make the same mistakes as I have one-
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Does the reciprocal arrangement only work if you are a resident in Australia though. In the same way that you are not entitled to free health in the UK if you are out of the country for 6 months and a day - does a similar arrangement not apply to Australia. After all, you cannot spend 6 months and a day in each in any given year.

Incidentally I went to my local doctor to find that I had been de-registered - but sorted that out straight away and was referred and had to prove my residency status. Very specifically they did not allow financial records as proof. I said that I had been in the UK since Nov and intended to stay more than 6 months and emailed them a copy of my Council Tax bill which they were happy with. My treatment was not delayed at all by this.

They are getting serious about health tourism now.
It seems that we are able to suspend our private health insurance with MBF and Medibank Private for the months we are away. This currently costs around $300 per month.

We can then take out travel insurance which will cover us for the time we are away (5/6 months0 at a cost of around $1000.

I'll need to look into this in more detail but it does sound like a possible solution.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately I have just received news that my canal boat has sank with my stuff on board-I had people looking after it but not good enough I am afraid-I am running around trying to get it re-floated- If I haven't got enough to do with only one month to go. Which goes to show its so difficult being away -If we hadn't come back to Australia it would have been alright-we are TOO far away-I did live on it for 7 months but the boat I have is TOO OLD-no central heating etc-I am still quite new to it and didn't understand the maintenance issue enough as rain water has penetrated the engine compartment-It could work but MUCH more planning and the understanding that u simply cant just do it! I can provide any info u require so u dont make the same mistakes as I have one-
Sorry to hear about the boat. Hope you are able to salvage something. I thought those canal boats were virtually unsinkable!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear about the boat. Hope you are able to salvage something. I thought those canal boats were virtually unsinkable!
Thats what I thought but maybe there is a leak in the hull? It is being attended to-
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

By the way does anybody know about about the Australian pension? Do u have to stay in the country to receive it? I really dont want to be here now. I thought of the 6 month idea too but its too hot here in summer and its really awful to be here for 6 minutes let alone 6 months-I am worried about the pension though and we will not able to do the 30 years to build up NI contributions (51).
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

By the way does anybody know about about the Australian pension? Do u have to stay in the country to receive it? I really dont want to be here now. I thought of the 6 month idea too but its too hot here in summer and its really awful to be here for 6 minutes let alone 6 months-I am worried about the pension though and we will not able to do the 30 years to build up NI contributions (51).
You have to be in the country for the 2 years prior to the claim, so if you hop back to the UK you wont be eligible to claim unless you move back to OZ for at least 2 years. Subject to asset and income tests of course.

Once you have claimed you can 'usually' then take it with you if you leave, however the thought of staying in OZ till your 67+ would probably kill most people off anyway

Superannuation is a different thing, I am talking the aged means tested centerlink type pension.

BTW some idiot last week claimed what I am saying is rubbish, its not, its from the horses mouth, centerlink, pensions dept, I even got transferred to a international pensions expert.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

My parents did this between UK and NZ for 12 years. They built a granny flat on the back of my sisters place in NZ and lived in a static caravan in the Lake District when in the UK. There are stipulations on how long you can stay in a static caravan in the UK. If you stay there 52 weeks a year, then its a residence and open to council tax. Most sites won't let you do this.

They got round a lot of the bureaucratic stuff by using our uk address as there main residence address! I know, not strictly legal but it works. they kept a small car which they kept insured which I used / stored when they were not in the UK & we were in the UK. Cheaper and less hassle to keep it insured.

In the end, they got fed up of packing up their life everything 6 months and picking up again in the other country. You end up being disjointed and missing out on a lot of activities with friends and I guess as you get older that is important. Its also a very expensive way to live, travel, rebuying stocks and travelling to see friends etc. It becomes more and more of a hassle as you get older as well. Albeit, they got to spend quality time with grandchildren in both countries while the kids were little so i guess it served its purpose.

They are firmly ensconsed in NZ now and very happy to be stable. (God, I wish they still had the caravan in the Lakes!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.