Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:12 am

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And assuming there are no immigration controls applying to you; you are disabled enough to qualify for AA, with no other income or significant capital, where is the wrongdoing? There isn't one. You'd be entitled.:
Well of course all within the legal framework, why would anyone returning to or already in the UK consider cheating 'Her Majesty or Her Government' ?

Anyone with a 'certifcate of entitlement', UK Right of Abode (ROA) or ILR that has partial or fully paid up NI, could get topped up with Pension credit + DLA, added council tax relief, free housing benefit subsidy + free travel pass ... its just over 200 quid a week (single claimant 60 -65) more if over 65 (with AA & CA)

total capital less than 6000 quid, no other income

means test to see if they/you or I qualify ... right?

all can be found on the Age concern, DWP & DirectGov websites

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/how_we_help.asp

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ning/index.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...el/DG_10036264

She?....She???? Not the last time I looked.
more deception

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 2:09 am.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nutgrove
Well of course all within the legal framework
I'm confused now. I understood the subject was about deception. Your post about returning to the UK and claiming Pension Credit, AA etc, didn't appear to be claiming anything not due by hiding anything. ie, no deception involved.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

She worked for the benefits agency when living in UK Thats where all the info comes from.
Hiya Flea... just a FYI, our BristolUK is very much a Fella
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:21 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Hiya Flea... just a FYI, our BristolUK is very much a Fella
A MAN????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean i have been been having PM dalliances with....with...a man?

What WILL my husband say? sacre bleu!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:05 am

I'm confused now. I understood the subject was about deception. Your post about returning to the UK and claiming Pension Credit, AA etc, didn't appear to be claiming anything not due by hiding anything. ie, no deception involved.
Unless of course one was planning to be a benefits cheat

No confusion here

I shall be asking you lots cos you sound like you are an expert on the UK HRT (not hormone replacement therapy)

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 9:33 am.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:26 am

linked & related to this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527924

seems our retired civil servant is somewhat of an expert

by Bristol posted May 31st 2008, 8:31 pm

"It was part of my job in the benefits system, for several years, to decide such cases.

I have to say that the vast majority of those failing the test were actually Brits returning to the UK. That clearly was NOT the intention of the HRT, so that actually influenced my decisions.

On this basis I found it quite easy to fail someone from a European country who had only just arrived, didn't have a home, no bank account, no job etc and one of the first things they did was to apply for benefits, while I passed Brits who had been away for years, but had maintained some link such as keeping membership of various organisations, had family in the UK, had got themselves on the housing register, maintained or opened a UK bank account and transferred funds, sold the house they had in whichever country they'd left, or their reason for living abroad was a marriage that had ended so there was no longer a reason to be living wherever it was, or their job abroad was their main reason for living/staying in that country but now they had lost the job, so they had no reason to stay anymore......the list of (to my mind) reasonable situations where someone has good reason to return or no reason to stay there is endless. Did they keep a bank account open because they planned to return one day and now that day has arrived.

Intention to live/stay in the UK could also be shown by the actions before leaving the other country. Had their house been on the market for a period, suggesting a planned return? Had they given notice to their employer a significant time before finishing work?"

I am going to ask tons more questions of him to get his full benefits expertise for free, providing of course Bristol is up to date

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 9:37 am.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... providing of course Bristol is up to date
I do try to keep up to date. Where I'm not sure, I say so.

Most of the changes since I left are procedural rather than legal.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:38 pm

I do try to keep up to date. Where I'm not sure, I say so.

Most of the changes since I left are procedural rather than legal.
thanks for that .. I shall be posting questions to you

BTW, when did you retire from the public service & come to Canada?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BTW, when did you retire from the public service & come to Canada?