Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice
Default Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Just wondering how other folk faired at the mercy of the DWP - 8 weeks on & I'm still 'pending'.......
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:03 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habitual Residency Test - Your experiences/thoughts please!!

Mine took about 6 weeks from memory. It was over a year ago. But i was passed ok and got help.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Just wondering how other folk faired at the mercy of the DWP - 8 weeks on & I'm still 'pending'.......
Is it true I have to wait 52 weeks to get this done? thats what I am being told. I was home in March and felt like a headless chicken no one could give me a clear answear.
Also what is the point of this test. I am a brit living in the US on a green card been here over 10 years now. I am so lost
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherylbe
Is it true I have to wait 52 weeks to get this done?
Absolutely not. Have a look at the other threads on the subject.

People claiming UK benefits have to be Habitually or ordinarily resident in the UK. Nationality is irrelevant, it applies to all people applying for various benefits.

It is supposed to be easier than it was for people returning to take up residency they had previously.

Much depends on where in the UK one claims - in some areas, staff rarely come across the issue and are not up to date on the latest rules. On the other hand some people claim they are resident/returning....get benefits or medical treatment and then go back to the country they claim to have left. They make it harder for those genuinely returning.

If one is genuinely returning there are certain things that will back that up. A one way ticket; something to show property sold/lease ended; bank account closed/new one opened; registration with a new doctor; what else was done to suggest a new life in the UK...job lined up or job search activity? Home search?; Brought your belongings with you?

Sometimes it's as simple as I was only living there for work or marriage and now the work/marriage is over so I'm back.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Bristol UK
Hope you are well. I have a senario question that may help some returning people - maybe you could give your thoughts. If an expat returning to the UK had kept a home (or at least an address) in the UK and still had a bank account and had a GP etc... and didn't ever announce that they were leaving in the first place, surely they could apply for assistance/benefits without even mentioning they had ever left the UK?

OR would you need to explain how you had been living without a job for 'x' amount of time or not paid any taxes or explain why you hadn't voted?

Having not seen the forms, it may be that the form asks a direct question 'have you been resident elsewhere in the last 'x' months?

Hope my jibber-jabbering all makes sense

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Absolutely not. Have a look at the other threads on the subject.

People claiming UK benefits have to be Habitually or ordinarily resident in the UK. Nationality is irrelevant, it applies to all people applying for various benefits.

It is supposed to be easier than it was for people returning to take up residency they had previously.

Much depends on where in the UK one claims - in some areas, staff rarely come across the issue and are not up to date on the latest rules. On the other hand some people claim they are resident/returning....get benefits or medical treatment and then go back to the country they claim to have left. They make it harder for those genuinely returning.

If one is genuinely returning there are certain things that will back that up. A one way ticket; something to show property sold/lease ended; bank account closed/new one opened; registration with a new doctor; what else was done to suggest a new life in the UK...job lined up or job search activity? Home search?; Brought your belongings with you?

Sometimes it's as simple as I was only living there for work or marriage and now the work/marriage is over so I'm back.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Hello Bristol UK
Hope you are well. I have a senario question that may help some returning people - maybe you could give your thoughts. If an expat returning to the UK had kept a home (or at least an address) in the UK and still had a bank account and had a GP etc... and didn't ever announce that they were leaving in the first place, surely they could apply for assistance/benefits without even mentioning they had ever left the UK?

OR would you need to explain how you had been living without a job for 'x' amount of time or not paid any taxes or explain why you hadn't voted?

Having not seen the forms, it may be that the form asks a direct question 'have you been resident elsewhere in the last 'x' months?

Hope my jibber-jabbering all makes sense
When you enter and leave the country your PP is swiped. This shows all your travel information into and out of the UK. Can they/do they check this info...I don't know but failure to disclose the info to the authorities to obtain assistance/benefits is fraud.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When you enter and leave the country your PP is swiped. This shows all your travel information into and out of the UK. Can they/do they check this info...I don't know but failure to disclose the info to the authorities to obtain assistance/benefits is fraud.

But do they ask the question? Surely they must. I was reading another thread similar to this one about the amount of people living in Spain and other EU countries that are funding their life abroad on benefits and I find this... not shocking but annoying that simple checks are not in place, or maybe they are but people are just happy to take the chance.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But do they ask the question? Surely they must. I was reading another thread similar to this one about the amount of people living in Spain and other EU countries that are funding their life abroad on benefits and I find this... not shocking but annoying that simple checks are not in place, or maybe they are but people are just happy to take the chance.
I don't know. There will always be those who are willing to take a chance.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:51 am

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

background and details here for those that need more info

Also a copy of the form from one council

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...8718E3CD39.asp

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/Public/...rom-abroad.pdf
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nutgrove
background and details here for those that need more info

Also a copy of the form from one council

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...8718E3CD39.asp

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/Public/...rom-abroad.pdf
Thanks for that. I thought it was interesting, particularly the part on the age concern link where they are suggesting that you think long and hard about returning to the UK.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Bristol UK
I have a senario question that may help some returning people - maybe you could give your thoughts. If an expat returning to the UK had kept a home (or at least an address) in the UK and still had a bank account and had a GP etc... and didn't ever announce that they were leaving in the first place, surely they could apply for assistance/benefits without even mentioning they had ever left the UK?

There is a direct question about having entered/returned to the UK.

One could come up with an explanation for no job, no income etc immediately prior to a claim. Some people do it quite legitimately. There are any number of scenarios; living on redundancy pay, living with a partner who was working so didn't bother claimimg, travelling...all kinds of things. But all kinds of things might get one found out.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:34 pm
Oscar nominated

I was reading another thread similar to this one about the amount of people living in Spain and other EU countries that are funding their life abroad on benefits
If it's the thread I'm thinking of that scenario described is not true.

If people can falsely claim benefits and live in the UK, they can do it falsely and live abroad. But they need to be able to fund a return trip if necessary, account for discrepancies as they arise, trust people who may not be as dishonest as them. The more elaborate the scam the more chance of getting found out.

Let's face it, people have continued to draw money after people have died. It's all do-able...and all find out-able.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 7th 2009 at 8:38 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:59 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If it's the thread I'm thinking of that scenario described is not true.

If people can falsely claim benefits and live in the UK, they can do it falsely and live abroad. But they need to be able to fund a return trip if necessary, account for discrepancies as they arise, trust people who may not be as dishonest as them. The more elaborate the scam the more chance of getting found out.

Let's face it, people have continued to draw money after people have died. It's all do-able...and all find out-able.
tut tut, you wouldn't be telling stories out of school would you?

On the basis of everything is above board, then the system should work

However that said there is as you described ways around everything

Brits as well as outsiders can be masters of deception (bloody good at ripping off the system) as seen in every UK daily rag (benefits cheats).

All one needs to do is read between the lines, stretch the imagination and anything is possible - just work the system

Take me for example, I am not a Brit national & have not lived in the UK since 1972. I do have an NI number & knowingly could return today and be on full pension credit, attendance allowance as well as housing benefit & council tax exemption all within 30-days of my return

I have posted the links to all that is possible & available on these threads somewhere ... its there for everyone

Then again this is not a post or lesson in benefits deception
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

tut tut, you wouldn't be telling stories out of school would you?

On the basis of everything is above board, then the system should work

However that said there is as you described ways around everything

Brits as well as outsiders can be masters of deception (bloody good at ripping off the system) as seen in every UK daily rag (benefits cheats).

All one needs to do is read between the lines, stretch the imagination and anything is possible - just work the system

Take me for example, I am not a Brit national & have not lived in the UK since 1972. I do have an NI number & knowingly could return today and be on full pension credit, attendance allowance as well as housing benefit & council tax exemption all within 30-days of my return

I have posted the links to all that is possible & available on these threads somewhere ... its there for everyone

Then again this is not a post or lesson in benefits deception

Ummmm.. i think you need to be informed of Bristols background. She worked for the benefits agency when living in UK Thats where all the info comes from.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Take me for example, I am not a Brit national & have not lived in the UK since 1972. I do have an NI number & knowingly could return today and be on full pension credit, attendance allowance as well as housing benefit & council tax exemption all within 30-days of my return.
And assuming there are no immigration controls applying to you; you are disabled enough to qualify for AA, with no other income or significant capital, where is the wrongdoing? There isn't one. You'd be entitled.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ummmm.. i think you need to be informed of Bristols background. She worked for the benefits agency when living in UK Thats where all the info comes from.
She?....She???? Not the last time I looked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.