Wikiposts

Guide to returning to UK?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:05 am
Just Joined

lexyandbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guide to returning to UK?

Hi all, Its good to know that you guys are out there, I have searched and searched for any sort of guide for "Returning to the UK", there is nothing i can find on the Net or Amazon. My family and I (Married couple with two girls under 8) have been living in the middle east for the last 9 years and we are now planning to go home to Scotland at the end of this year. When we first came here there were an unbelievable amount of books about moving abroad and leaving the UK.

Now that the time has come to return to the UK, we are putting our administration folder together and cannot find anything that casts any light on what needs to be achieved to tick all the "returning to the UK" boxes.

I appreciate and will certainly use the information provided within the forums but wondered if anyone knew of a book title that would fit the bill.

Thanks for your ongoing support and i will certainly keep you all updated to any issues we encounter or changes that may take place over the next few months.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guide to returning to UK?

At top of this forum are a couple of "wiki" links, including

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Back_to_the_UK

Probably doesn't answer all your questions, but it's a start.

Happy reading
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fairly short list of 'must dos'. A lot will depend on your individual circumstances. Before you move back obviously make sure your British passports are up-to-date.

When you get back:

- Register on the electoral roll
- Register with a GP (and apply for NHS numbers or Scottish equivalent for your children if required)
- Make sure you have you and your wife know your National Insurance numbers
- Enrol your children for school
- Renew/update driving licences

If you still have property or bank accounts left in the UK then that will reduce some of the headaches.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Sapphire99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same boat. Some of the things on my list: -

Apart from those listed by others, another item on my list is: -

Book movers
Register for child benefit (not much but it pays for my supply of nappies!)
http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/...DUQ&formId=435

Do you have your own property or will you be renting back there?

I am sure the move will be a lot easier than the move to the ME. Far less red tape!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

lexyandbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for the guidance, on the back end of it i found the UK Government checklist in their archives. Others may find it useful.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...eUK/DG_4000140