Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Greater Manchester~ Question

Greater Manchester~ Question

Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greater Manchester~ Question

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I went to school in Moss Side (Ducie High) and my sister lived just off Great Western Street, but never in a million years would I have lived in John Nash Crescent !!
I lived off Great Western Street on Upper Lloyd Street for a while. The pub on the corner of Wilmslow Rd and Moss Lane near Whitworth Park ("The Whitty" we called it) was my local. It was always full of uni students and student nurses. I also lived on Banff Rd (Rusholme) briefly and also on Hartington St (also off Great Western Street but in Moss Side).
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - that's exactly what I did. Buses and taxis.
Agreed, buses will be perfectly fine for those areas and in some cases a single journey to/from the city centre can cost as litle 50 pence.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
The incompetent part is so shocking to me not sure why, I guess I expected more
That's no different to what people say about HR and recruiters here in the US. Some of it is true, and some of it is because the nature of their work is to reject people and that doesn't always make them popular.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's no different to what people say about HR and recruiters here in the US. Some of it is true, and some of it is because the nature of their work is to reject people and that doesn't always make them popular.
I'm not sure about that but I would say that the recruiters I have dealt with here in Canada have made a refreshing change from their British equivalents. Apart from possibly 2 or 3, pretty much every recruitment consultant or HR administrator whom I have met in the UK have seemed more focued on fashionable clothes and Heat magazine than their level of service.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Agreed, buses will be perfectly fine for those areas and in some cases a single journey to/from the city centre can cost as litle 50 pence.
Fantastic!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Fantastic!
Just have a look out for the Finglands buses, their patrons can be slightly 'boho' from time to time but they will get you to where you need to go safely. I believe Finglands even do a weekly unlimited travel pass for around £4-5.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

karenmillvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

Can someone share their thoughts about greater Manchester. Everything I read online paints a rosy picture of Manchester, but I wanted to get an opinion of what life is like in Manchester in terms of places to live: affordability, safe environment etc.

The following is a synopsis of what I have been reading online about Manchester:

Manchester has the largest UK office market outside London. Greater Manchester represents over £42 billion of the UK GVA, the third largest of any English county and more than Wales or North East England.

It is the fifth-largest financial centre in the United Kingdom outside London, has one of the largest shopping center's in the UK (Trafford center), 4th busiest airport in UK, 3rd most visited city in UK by foreign visitors after London and Edinburgh and most visited in England outside London.

I am aware of how badly the riots were last year in Manchester so I would love to get opinions of whether or not you think Manchester would be a good place to live. Very curious. Thanks
Hi Bridgette

I come from Macclesfield in Cheshire. It is South of Manchester and close to more expensive areas like Alderley Edge, Prestbury, Wilmslow but it has a diverse housing situation...everything from 2 bed cottages up to Mansions...worth a look for a place to live.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice
Smile Re: Greater Manchester~ Question

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You're dead right there. I believe the area around Prestbury/Alderley Edge is second only to Kensington/Chelsea.
Check Bollington also known as 'Happy Valley' only 5 mins from Prestbury foot of peak district and near Cheshire plains..... Fabulous village and not too pricey... great restaurants and pubs too....Macclesfield is 10 mins drive and a train to Manchester City Centre only 20 mins.......two bed stone cottages about £130+ 3 bed from £160+. Lovely stone cottages....well worth considering.....I have been here since april last year from the Isle of Man and LOVE it here.....Schools are really good and have great ofstead reports too.Google Happy Valley for more info.....Two micro breweries too if you like Real Ale........
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenmillvalley
Hi Bridgette

I come from Macclesfield in Cheshire. It is South of Manchester and close to more expensive areas like Alderley Edge, Prestbury, Wilmslow but it has a diverse housing situation...everything from 2 bed cottages up to Mansions...worth a look for a place to live.
I am near you in Bollington... I have just replied to a post regarding the area....
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi

We live near Manchester before we migrated and have moved back to a different area but still an easy commute to Manchester. Manchester has a lot to offer. We have lived South of the City and now live in Derbyshire but still only a 40 min commute to the City. South of the City has the mainly better (ppersonalpreference) areas ie Bramhall,Woodford,Hale,Hale Barns,Bowden, Altrincham,Poynton,Hazel Grove,Wilmslow, it all depends on your budget and your lifestyle, there are areas like Marple,Marple Bridge but have a bit more of a semi rural feel and town feel rather than a ssuburb North of the City I know but not well enough to advice, Manchester is surrounded by easy access to Countryside, the Peak District to the South East (ish) and the Pennine run around the east side of the City with Liverpool to the West and a fairly easy by motorway to drive to. We also head over to Sheffield, we have visited Birmingham but is a 2 hour drive, again fairly easy drive as its straight onto one Motorway from Manchester M56 then M6 but the traffic gets busy on the Motorway. Tameside is an area that has some nice pockets but I would not live there ie (Mottram, Broadbottom Charlesworth)...sorry no offence meant. Basically its the same old.....down to budget, your preference to what a location offers etc. I like Didsbury but not enough green space for me yet my nephew lives there and loves it, I like Altrincham but I prefer the otherside of the M56....good luck, just take your time and if you can rent first to see if you like the area first.

Hi Brit1 What part of Derbyshire have you moved too? did you used to live in Marple? I have been in Bollington Cheshire since last April... I do Love it here so close to Peak District and Cheshire plains.....Just five minute drive from the Swan in Kettleshulme too...
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karenmillvalley
Hi Bridgette

Thank you so much for this information. NOt being familiar with the area this helps so much!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Check Bollington also known as 'Happy Valley' only 5 mins from Prestbury foot of peak district and near Cheshire plains..... Fabulous village and not too pricey... great restaurants and pubs too....Macclesfield is 10 mins drive and a train to Manchester City Centre only 20 mins.......two bed stone cottages about £130+ 3 bed from £160+. Lovely stone cottages....well worth considering.....I have been here since april last year from the Isle of Man and LOVE it here.....Schools are really good and have great ofstead reports too.Google Happy Valley for more info.....Two micro breweries too if you like Real Ale........
Sounds affordable and lovely too. Definitely giving it a look. My sister will be happy with this info as well. Thanks!