Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Greater Manchester~ Question

Greater Manchester~ Question

Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greater Manchester~ Question

Originally Posted by Brigette
What is the difference between Manchester City Center and Greater Manchester?
the city, is the main downtown area.

greater manchester is the urban sprawl comprising of the 10 boroughs.

personally, I'd go for most parts of Stockport, Trafford and as someone said above, the areas of east oldham, delph and Saddleworth, uppermill etc are very nice.

Sale, Alttincham, Hale, Bowdon, Marple, Romily, Gatley, Cheadle, Wilmslow, Handforth, Poynton... all pretty top places.
I'm from Sale so I am biased, I don't know too many area's in north manchester to be honest, Used to work in Ashton Under Lyne and have friends in Stalybridge and Dukinfield which are ok places too.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
the city, is the main downtown area.

greater manchester is the urban sprawl comprising of the 10 boroughs.

personally, I'd go for most parts of Stockport, Trafford and as someone said above, the areas of east oldham, delph and Saddleworth, uppermill etc are very nice.

Sale, Alttincham, Hale, Bowdon, Marple, Romily, Gatley, Cheadle, Wilmslow, Handforth, Poynton... all pretty top places.
I'm from Sale so I am biased, I don't know too many area's in north manchester to be honest, Used to work in Ashton Under Lyne and have friends in Stalybridge and Dukinfield which are ok places too.
Thanks so much for the areas. Helps a lot.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Awww sorry you feel homesick... didn't mean to do that

I did a search for places in Didsbury (for me it would be renting) and I did a wide spectrum of prices as low as 600 to as high as 1,500 and all that came up was this
http://tiny.cc/31umo

not too impressive of a selection. Seems as if its only residential homes

However when I do a search on Manchester City Center...this is what comes up: http://tiny.cc/8kyks and this http://tiny.cc/3434t
Pages and pages of flats. Of course I have no clue where these areas are
The Green Quarter is around Piccadilly train station if I remember correctly, a very up and coming area though as the downtown area of Manchester grows, mostly new apartment buildings with very modern interiors. There is also a huge ALDI supermarket there now which sells food and household items very cheaply but may not be ideal for a vegan as the food is largely imported cheaply from other less cosmopolitan areas of the EU.

The other places are all around the theatre and gay district of Manchester which is where I used to live. Not the quietest place to live at the weekends but there is no other place like it on Earth and my girlfriend and I loved living there.

And please don't worry about making me homesick, it happens all the time it's just that yesterday I started to remember some places that I had previously forgotten and it brought back some memories.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
The Green Quarter is around Piccadilly train station if I remember correctly, a very up and coming area though as the downtown area of Manchester grows, mostly new apartment buildings with very modern interiors. There is also a huge ALDI supermarket there now which sells food and household items very cheaply but may not be ideal for a vegan as the food is largely imported cheaply from other less cosmopolitan areas of the EU.

The other places are all around the theatre and gay district of Manchester which is where I used to live. Not the quietest place to live at the weekends but there is no other place like it on Earth and my girlfriend and I loved living there.

And please don't worry about making me homesick, it happens all the time it's just that yesterday I started to remember some places that I had previously forgotten and it brought back some memories.
It's been a while since I was in Manchester so had to look up the 'Green Quarter'. Having seen where it is on the map that name is obviously somebodies idea of a joke... green was the last colour that sprang to mind around that bit of town.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

alicet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - i live in (greater) Manchester.
Basics as follows - the Greater Manchester conglomeration includes two cities (Manchester and Salford) that back on to each other, around the outside are the following towns that are separate entities with separate councils/schools/healthcare etc, but which see themselves as part of the manchester thing (and - with the exception of Wigan- are easily commutable to city centre) they are, from North west going clockwise, Wigan, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside, Stockport, Trafford.... all the towns basically join onto manchester/salford though some feel more rural than others... house prices vary wildly across the piece, generally the further north you go the cheaper with the south West (bordering Cheshire) being the most expensive... areas also have very different feels...
if you like suburban, I would look at Heaton Moor/Heaton Mersey (stockport side) or North Bury. I agree with others that Chorlton and Didsbury are nice but pricey, ashton, stockport side also pretty nice and not (necessarily) so pricey. Closer to the centre Levenshulme is popular choice for people with kids who used to live in chorlton but now need more space for the money. Hope this helps - any specific questions fire away.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

PS vegan /organic shop bar none is Unicorn in Chorlton
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

pps sorry for any repetions I'm a newbie here and missed half the posts, doh!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Green quarter is actually behid MEN arena/victoria station ... bottom of cheetham hill ...its not been there very long nad is not very green as far as I can see!, Northern Quarter is behind picadilly station and trendy etc as you say....brief warning about city centre living (re your sister/nephew), there aren't any schools in the centre ...great planning, huh!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alicet
Hi there - i live in (greater) Manchester.
Basics as follows - the Greater Manchester conglomeration includes two cities (Manchester and Salford) that back on to each other, around the outside are the following towns that are separate entities with separate councils/schools/healthcare etc, but which see themselves as part of the manchester thing (and - with the exception of Wigan- are easily commutable to city centre) they are, from North west going clockwise, Wigan, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside, Stockport, Trafford.... all the towns basically join onto manchester/salford though some feel more rural than others... house prices vary wildly across the piece, generally the further north you go the cheaper with the south West (bordering Cheshire) being the most expensive... areas also have very different feels...
if you like suburban, I would look at Heaton Moor/Heaton Mersey (stockport side) or North Bury. I agree with others that Chorlton and Didsbury are nice but pricey, ashton, stockport side also pretty nice and not (necessarily) so pricey. Closer to the centre Levenshulme is popular choice for people with kids who used to live in chorlton but now need more space for the money. Hope this helps - any specific questions fire away.
Hi Alicet,

Thanks so much for the post. Where to begin ok regarding my sister and my nephew they definitely will be living in the suburbs. That's their lifestyle now and they actually love it. She wouldn't mind a small town village thing also but if she couldn't do that then the suburbs is fine.

For me I love the urban area as well as the suburbs. I won't have a car when I move over so I need to be near transportation or walking distance. It would seem as if the center or somewhere close to the center would be appropriate for me. Do you agree? I like being able to sleep at night without a lot of noise/people so I'm not sure if being in the center would cause a problem. Your thoughts? I do however love the idea of being close to the theater, museums, the arts etc .

Is Manchester like the rest of England in terms of jobs, the economy etc?

Thanks for the tip on the vegan restaurant

ETA: one more question, best place to stay when visiting Manchester. I will be visiting later this year

Last edited by Brigette; Jan 5th 2012 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK! Will do
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alicet,

Thanks so much for the post. Where to begin ok regarding my sister and my nephew they definitely will be living in the suburbs. That's their lifestyle now and they actually love it. She wouldn't mind a small town village thing also but if she couldn't do that then the suburbs is fine.

For me I love the urban area as well as the suburbs. I won't have a car when I move over so I need to be near transportation or walking distance. It would seem as if the center or somewhere close to the center would be appropriate for me. Do you agree? I like being able to sleep at night without a lot of noise/people so I'm not sure if being in the center would cause a problem. Your thoughts? I do however love the idea of being close to the theater, museums, the arts etc .

Is Manchester like the rest of England in terms of jobs, the economy etc?

Thanks for the tip on the vegan restaurant

ETA: one more question, best place to stay when visiting Manchester. I will be visiting later this year
No shortage of hotels in the City Center so it's all about your budget.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven..._style/hotels/
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

This is my top tip for somewhere to stay - it is a student hall (theology) very nice for the price, quiet and pretty central, very nice folk live there (lots of mature students so you can make a few contacts and get more advice - also cheaper and more personal than a hotel.
www.booking.com/Luther-King-House

City centre ... it has advantages, I would go for either castlefield or Northern quarter if you want the full on metropolitan thing, but I'd say definitely check out Chorlton which is hip, young and has a proper villagy feel. For your sister choice will no doubt be dictated on some level by house prices and decent schools.

www.upmystreet.com this is a great website for investigating areas in the UK you will nned postcodes though, can find this here.
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/map...codes-map.html
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alicet
This is my top tip for somewhere to stay - it is a student hall (theology) very nice for the price, quiet and pretty central, very nice folk live there (lots of mature students so you can make a few contacts and get more advice - also cheaper and more personal than a hotel.
www.booking.com/Luther-King-House

City centre ... it has advantages, I would go for either castlefield or Northern quarter if you want the full on metropolitan thing, but I'd say definitely check out Chorlton which is hip, young and has a proper villagy feel. For your sister choice will no doubt be dictated on some level by house prices and decent schools.

www.upmystreet.com this is a great website for investigating areas in the UK you will nned postcodes though, can find this here.
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/map...codes-map.html
Strange when searching on rightmove... says there is no area such as Chorlton. MY choices were Chorlton Fold Manchester Greater
Chorlton Cum Hardy Manchester Greater
and Chorltonville Manchester Greater..
What am I doing wrong.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No shortage of hotels in the City Center so it's all about your budget.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven..._style/hotels/
Thanks taking a look now
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Strange when searching on rightmove... says there is no area such as Chorlton. MY choices were Chorlton Fold Manchester Greater
Chorlton Cum Hardy Manchester Greater
and Chorltonville Manchester Greater..
What am I doing wrong.
Its chorlton-cum-hardy you want

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.