Reload this Page >

Government Assistance for UK Pensioner Wanting to Return Home

Government Assistance for UK Pensioner Wanting to Return Home

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

SMDAVY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Government Assistance for UK Pensioner Wanting to Return Home

Hi All,

I am writing on behalf of my Mother In Law, who is currently residing with my wife and I in South Africa.

I would like to find out if anybody knows of a government program which can assist mentally ill (Dementia) pensioners abroad to return home to the UK.

My mother in law has no funds of her own and came to visit us after the passing of her husband, with my wife being pregnant at the time we thought it would be comforting for her to be around her grandson when he was born. However upon arrival she was diagnosed with Dementia (Possibly triggered by the sudden passing of her husband).

My wife and I were able to afford private frail care in a nursing home, however with the economy in South Africa we both lost our employment and subsequently our home, along with the frail care for my mother in law. We have now managed to find a house to stay which is very small and not suitable for my mother in law. Her dementia has reached the later stages and she is unable to care for herself in any way. My wife and I are not medically or financially equipped to look after her.

This is why I am hoping there is a possibility of assistance from the British Government to bring her home as we do not have the funds for a plane ticket.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government Assistance for UK Pensioner Wanting to Return Home

Sorry to learn of your predicament. Unfortunately there is little government assistance in the circumstances you describe. Can you confirm the citizenship status of yourself, your wife and your mother-in-law?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SMDAVY
Hi All,

I am writing on behalf of my Mother In Law, who is currently residing with my wife and I in South Africa.

I would like to find out if anybody knows of a government program which can assist mentally ill (Dementia) pensioners abroad to return home to the UK.

My mother in law has no funds of her own and came to visit us after the passing of her husband, with my wife being pregnant at the time we thought it would be comforting for her to be around her grandson when he was born. However upon arrival she was diagnosed with Dementia (Possibly triggered by the sudden passing of her husband).

My wife and I were able to afford private frail care in a nursing home, however with the economy in South Africa we both lost our employment and subsequently our home, along with the frail care for my mother in law. We have now managed to find a house to stay which is very small and not suitable for my mother in law. Her dementia has reached the later stages and she is unable to care for herself in any way. My wife and I are not medically or financially equipped to look after her.

This is why I am hoping there is a possibility of assistance from the British Government to bring her home as we do not have the funds for a plane ticket.
Sorry to hear about your predicament. I doubt very much the Brit. govt. offers any assistance unless they are sure to get reimbursed. Did you make contact with the Brit. embassy?
May be https://www.ageuk.org.uk/ can offer help in how to deal with the situation your MiL is in.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:34 am
Just Joined

SMDAVY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sorry to learn of your predicament. Unfortunately there is little government assistance in the circumstances you describe. Can you confirm the citizenship status of yourself, your wife and your mother-in-law?
My Mother-In-Law is a British Citizen (Born in UK and lived there), My wife is a British Citizen (Dual citizenship with South Africa - She has a British Passport), I unfortunately am stuck with a South African citizenship & passport.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Does she have a National Insurance record ? Is she entitled to a UK State Retirement Pension ? I spent many years outside the UK but made sure that I continueed to pay National Insurance Contributions.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 4th 2019 at 9:47 am.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Does she have a National Insurance record ? Is she entitled to a UK State Retirement Pension ? I spent many years outside the UK but made sure that I continueed to pay National Insurance Contributions.
Before the lady can claim benefits based on a state pensioner status, she needs to get back to U.K.
As the OP stated, there are no funds for an air ticket or 2. The lady doesn't seem to be able to travel on her own.
Op is looking for govt. assistance to fly her back.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Those who have an adequate National Insurance record can claim State Retirement Pension regardless of place of residence. It is provident to contiinue paying national insurance after leaving the UK.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 4th 2019 at 11:39 am.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Those who have an adequate National Insurance record can claim Stat Retirment Pension regardless of place of residence.
The question was about getting govt. assisted repatriation. It was also mentioned that she has no funds.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Those who have an adequate National Insurance record can claim Stat Retirment Pension regardless of place of residence.
Good point. If the OP was not aware of this and MIL has reached pension age then ~£150/week will soon accumulate enough funds for flights back.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

My Mother-In-Law is a British Citizen (Born in UK and lived there), My wife is a British Citizen (Dual citizenship with South Africa - She has a British Passport), I unfortunately am stuck with a South African citizenship & passport.
Does your mother in law have any support network in the UK? Presuming you can get her back to the UK, how will she be cared for?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say how long your mother-in-law has been in South Africa, but at this point is she there legally?