Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The good old british pub!!!!

The good old british pub!!!!

Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good old british pub!!!!

Originally Posted by CBANDY
As an ex publican i used to love my pub. Proper regulars pub and although it was town centre i never had any trouble.

Do these types of pub still exist????
They certainly DO! Speaking of Edinburgh City Centre, where I know best, it is full of pubs and bars of all kinds....for me my faves are all along Rose Street - loads and loads of them - the street (now pedestrianised) which runs to the north of and parallel with Princes Street.

Usually packed to the gunnels at night.

http://www.edinburgh.pubs.freeuk.com/rosent.html
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
They certainly DO! Speaking of Edinburgh City Centre, where I know best, it is full of pubs and bars of all kinds....for me my faves are all along Rose Street - loads and loads of them - the street (now pedestrianised) which runs to the north of and parallel with Princes Street.

Usually packed to the gunnels at night.

http://www.edinburgh.pubs.freeuk.com/rosent.html
Remember them well...Rose Street a particular favourite...circa 1965...when allowed out from Rosyth RN Dockyard........to invade the 'burg'...not forgetting the 'Imperial'?

Last edited by macadian; Feb 28th 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:24 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Where I hail from there is no such abundance of a pub.

Brighton is one of the best areas in england to find yourself a local.

Admittidly it's not hard to get such diversity within a city which supposedly has over 400 pubs and clubs.

Some of my previous locals...Font and Furkin (renovated into a leather seated bar lost it's cool detailing churchy feel), King and Queen (still nice place wouldn't want to use the toilets and starting to get trouble makers), The sussex, The railway bell, The Branch, The bat and ball, The fiddlers elbow, Prince Albert, The druids head, The hob goblin and the market place...This is only to name a few there are plenty more. You now get a lot of 'trendy bars' or clubs which offer nothing but 'social status' but for the most part it is very easy to find a nice pub to settle yourself down into any night of the week.

Generally these aren't the cheapest places to drink but most of them will cost around 3GBP per pint 5GPB for a large mixer and wine i wouldn't know...

I guess Sussex also has many country pubs if you take and afternoon drive as you have the downs nearby plus small towns/villages such as Lewes, Lancing and Henfield which covers north, east and west of the city.