Good news for Brits?

Old Apr 9th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Pasty ...
A meal surrounded by pastry. They were convenient and safe for the Cornish tin and copper miners to take into the mine with them. One end would contain beef, potato, swede (rudabega ?) onion and salt and pepper. The other end would have sweet apple or treacle in. The miners held them by the turned crust which was thrown away when the rest was eaten, this stopped them ingesting any tin or copper on their hands. Cornish miners bought them to the USA along with their mining skills, in the UP of Michigan there are Pasty shops everywhere. Theres even a website www.pasty.com !!

Oh and by the way ... the best Pasty's i've ever tasted were made in The Lizard Pasty Shop (formerly Annes Pasty shop), near the Lizard Point, Cornwall ..yummm

Ok hungry now

Jan
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

UK Isabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good news for Brits?

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Uh I got that .......was being sarcastic in not knowing as I find the poster's remarks to be racist and rather insensitive to a forum that isn't just for "whites" instead is multicultural.
Oops, sorry Lisa!

I agree with you - racism has no place here or anywhere else.

Isabelle
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:10 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Uh I got that .......was being sarcastic in not knowing as I find the poster's remarks to be racist and rather insensitive to a forum that isn't just for "whites" instead is multicultural.
That's what I thought too. Using pasty and curry-lovers in one sentence...
Anyway, the poster has since taken his post down thanks to Rete... Personally, I think such remarks are a reflection on the poster himself, displaying a high degree of ignorance and bad taste ....
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:27 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Pastie is neither a racist a insensitive remark - pastie just means very white. The english are pastie because the sun never shines in the UK so when they go on vacation (compared to other nationalities) they are pastie white and others are just white. It is never used in degrading manner like "honkie" or "snowflake" and is a way of describing the shade of white someone.

I am English, I am pastie and I am proud (I don't like curry though). I love people who are offended by words they don't understand.

Patrick
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Pastie is neither a racist a insensitive remark - pastie just means very white. The english are pastie because the sun never shines in the UK so when they go on vacation (compared to other nationalities) they are pastie white and others are just white. It is never used in degrading manner like "honkie" or "snowflake" and is a way of describing the shade of white someone.

I am English, I am pastie and I am proud (I don't like curry though). I love people who are offended by words they don't understand.

Patrick
His full sentence wasn't one I'd find non racist. Even my husband who is quite the comic and finds humour where the normal American doesn't, found his comment rude, nothing remotely like he was just making a passing statement.

Geez you must annoy the heck out of just about everyone you get near with your always think you are right answers.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:46 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

His full sentence wasn't one I'd find non racist. Even my husband who is quite the comic and finds humour where the normal American doesn't, found his comment rude, nothing remotely like he was just making a passing statement.

Geez you must annoy the heck out of just about everyone you get near with your always think you are right answers.
There is a difference between rude and racist - the most popular food in the UK is Curry - it has taken over roast beef dinner as the english dish. Pastie is neither a racist or degrading word in any sentence. Yes the poster was rude, yes the poster should of been a bit more wary or peoples feelings but he had every right to put it as Rita had every right to ask him to remove it.

All I was doing was putting the word pastie into perspective. God your husband has to have a good sense of humour to live with a humourless witch like you you. I was wrong once and I didn't like it.

Patrick
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:48 pm
Banned

Just Patrick being Patrick, Lisa.....
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:59 pm
Banned

All I was doing was putting the word pastie into perspective. God your husband has to have a good sense of humour to live with a humourless witch like you you. I was wrong once and I didn't like it.

Patrick
That's way out of line, Patrick. I think you owe Lisa an apology here....
Having said that I believe the British love of curry came from during the time Britain colonized India... Curry is actually an English word to describe the spice powders that Indians used to flavour their food (someone correct me if I am wrong). To be quite truthful, I wasn't concerned about the earlier posters remarks being so much racist as wondering if they ate curry in Afghanistan. Actually I don't believe they do?? Was he referring to the Al-queda and calling them curry lovers???
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:03 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Ranjini
Just Patrick being Patrick, Lisa.....
Its just Patrick explaining an english word to people who don't know how it is being used in this context - you and Lisa have accused someone of being a racist for using the word pastie because someone said it means white!

My job is a software test engineer, where you have to be very pedantic to make sure things work. So yes I am a pedantic person but I am also a fair person and won't have people slandered by the name racism when the word used in context was not used in a racist way (nor in a funny way).

now once you two have climbed down off your high horses you may see that. Either that or do what you normally do and gang up against because I have taken a stance that opposes yours whether it is correct or not.

Patrick
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Its just Patrick explaining an english word to people who don't know how it is being used in this context - you and Lisa have accused someone of being a racist for using the word pastie because someone said it means white!

My job is a software test engineer, where you have to be very pedantic to make sure things work. So yes I am a pedantic person but I am also a fair person and won't have people slandered by the name racism when the word used in context was not used in a racist way (nor in a funny way).

now once you two have climbed down off your high horses you may see that. Either that or do what you normally do and gang up against because I have taken a stance that opposes yours whether it is correct or not.

Patrick
Why the hell am I defending myself

Pastie means white
Its not Racist

end of discussion
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:09 pm
Banned

Why the hell am I defending myself

Pastie means white
Its not Racist

end of discussion
I hope you mean that. I was hoping you'd apologise to Lisa for the rude things you said to her...
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:23 pm
Banned

Patrick
Take a good hard look at yourself, Patrick. Some of your posts border almost on the insane...
I don't think it's just us that's noticed the irrational nature of your posts.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
Just to jump into the fray here. While I didn't take offense at the term pastie as I assumed, correctly I see, that it meant humans of non-color nationalities, one must remember that at least here in the US there is a strong political correctness movement and any term other than the so-called politically correct term allocated to describe a race is considered a slur or racist. While it might be acceptable in England to use pastie to describe a white person, it could be viewed in the same manner as an Afro-American views the N word or an Asian the S/E term.

Rete
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Rete
Just to jump into the fray here. While I didn't take offense at the term pastie as I assumed, correctly I see, that it meant humans of non-color nationalities, one must remember that at least here in the US there is a strong political correctness movement and any term other than the so-called politically correct term allocated to describe a race is considered a slur or racist. While it might be acceptable in England to use pastie to describe a white person, it could be viewed in the same manner as an Afro-American views the N word or an Asian the S/E term.

Rete
No, thats my point it doesn't mean white people - its a term used to describe whiteness of people. For example when people first put on there shorts at the begining of summer they may say "Look at my pastie legs" - or "look how pastie I am". British people are pastie by design as the sun never shines.

It is not a racist term, it is not a term used to define someone in a category of race. It is a term to that describes white people being white. There is no way - even the race driven culture of America, you could (when it is used in context) consider it to be a racist term.

Patrick
Old Apr 9th 2003, 5:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Ranjini
Take a good hard look at yourself, Patrick. Some of your posts border almost on the insane...
I don't think it's just us that's noticed the irrational nature of your posts.

I don't consider my posts irrational - nothing is ever achieved without passion and I am very passionate. Irrational would be to say I take a stance that has no rational behaviour behind it. My stances/arguments are normally very rational and based on my moral values - I am opposed to telling people to break the law so always take the stance that people should not advice people to knowingly enter the US on a VW and get married - you and Lisa beleive in Freedom of speech and that you should be allowed to tell people that it is OK to marry on a VW.

I am opposed to people calling others racist because of their own ignorance.

I agree with Lisa that there should be no racist comments on here - there should be no racism in the world, but there is. I was shocked when I got to America how racist everyone is and what a big deal race is. On every form it asks what race I am - I always put Human Race as I am a member of the global village and see know difference between black, white or any other colour, creed, religion or sexual preference. We all bleed red there for we are all the same. I tried to go into a bar and a white guy stopped me and said "thats where the blacks drink" I ignored him because it doesn't bother me who drinks where!

You find me a post where I have taken an irrational stance. I don't take opposing stances to people to be difficult I try and do the right thing, I don't want to argue with people for arguments sake but if you are wrong (eg you misunderstand what a word means and accuse the user of racism based on it) then I will tell you. Free speech is a privaledge not a right, you cannot use it without understanding the consequences of using it without responsibility.

Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.