Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good news about depression

Good news about depression

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news about depression

I just read through this thread (I've been away this week and haven't been on here much lately anyway) and think this topic is really important to people on this Forum. Emigrating is so, so stressful and it's easy to go nuts as part of the process. A few observations from my own experience of these things:

My mum comitted suicide when I was in secondary school and I just want to back up what was said earlier - kids are much better with their mum than with no mum. Most kids' lives revolve around their mum, even if she is feeling ill.

Mental health, and its treatment, is such an individual thing that you just have to figure out what works for you. Problem is, if a treatment doesn't work (or has the completely wrong effect), you can actually be a lot worse for a while.

Doctors and researchers really have very little idea why certain medications work, or why response to medication is so different between individuals. Until we identfy the genes that are associated with responding to various meds, we're (doctors are) stuck with a somewhat "hit and hope" approach to treatment.

Exercise can be beneficial for anyone who is under stress or depressed. However, very intense exercise (because it is associated with an increase in adrenalin levels) can make you feel bad rather than good. Moderate intensity activity (walking, hiking, biking, swimming) is best for most people.

My own experience is that at two points in my life when I was extremely stressed out (during my PhD studies, and last year when I first came back), the doctors' knee-jerk response was to prescribe meds. In both cases I almost immediately felt dreadful, but continued for several weeks because the doctor said I should expect to feel worse before I got better. Although I understand this is true for many people, in my case I just got worse and worse until I eventually just couldn't take it any more and stopped taking the meds cold turkey after about a month. On both occasions, stopping the meds resulted in the crappy symptoms going away.

The great thing about this site is that whatever you are going through, there's bound to be people on here who've been through the same and are willing to offer help. I've received some very supportive PM's over the years from some great people.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I just read through this thread (I've been away this week and haven't been on here much lately anyway) and think this topic is really important to people on this Forum. Emigrating is so, so stressful and it's easy to go nuts as part of the process. A few observations from my own experience of these things:

My mum comitted suicide when I was in secondary school and I just want to back up what was said earlier - kids are much better with their mum than with no mum. Most kids' lives revolve around their mum, even if she is feeling ill.

Mental health, and its treatment, is such an individual thing that you just have to figure out what works for you. Problem is, if a treatment doesn't work (or has the completely wrong effect), you can actually be a lot worse for a while.

Doctors and researchers really have very little idea why certain medications work, or why response to medication is so different between individuals. Until we identfy the genes that are associated with responding to various meds, we're (doctors are) stuck with a somewhat "hit and hope" approach to treatment.

Exercise can be beneficial for anyone who is under stress or depressed. However, very intense exercise (because it is associated with an increase in adrenalin levels) can make you feel bad rather than good. Moderate intensity activity (walking, hiking, biking, swimming) is best for most people.

My own experience is that at two points in my life when I was extremely stressed out (during my PhD studies, and last year when I first came back), the doctors' knee-jerk response was to prescribe meds. In both cases I almost immediately felt dreadful, but continued for several weeks because the doctor said I should expect to feel worse before I got better. Although I understand this is true for many people, in my case I just got worse and worse until I eventually just couldn't take it any more and stopped taking the meds cold turkey after about a month. On both occasions, stopping the meds resulted in the crappy symptoms going away.

The great thing about this site is that whatever you are going through, there's bound to be people on here who've been through the same and are willing to offer help. I've received some very supportive PM's over the years from some great people.
As usuall a great post.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well done...IMHO you have taken a big step in the right direction. Try to take each day at a time...baby steps...eventually you'll get there.
Thank you Jersey Girl. I will keep on batteling
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving

Hi dunroving

My doctor has told me it's normal to feel worse before getting better. I feel so detached and unbothered. I'm definitely calmer. However, now i can't be bothered to talk. Opening my mouth is hard work. Did you feel anything like this.
Your post maks me hope that this phase will pass. I hope.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillergirl
Hi dunroving

My doctor has told me it's normal to feel worse before getting better. I feel so detached and unbothered. I'm definitely calmer. However, now i can't be bothered to talk. Opening my mouth is hard work. Did you feel anything like this.
Oh yes I went through the not talking stage, took three different brands of pill's before there was one kind that was right for me, stayed on them for Two year's then I felt the time was right to come off them slowly, been alright these past six year's, but I always have the fear it might come back.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dunroving

I've felt the same as you...every thing was too much effort. It was a struggle to get out of bed and get dressed. I would burst into tears over every little obstacle ie if I called a number and got an auto message...I just couldn't handle it...it would reduce me to tears and I would hang up.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

I'm going home on the 10th 0f September 2007. I will have alot more support there. I just worry that if it doesn't help, like i think it will. What will i do then.

Blimey i'm just so bloody lost.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm going home on the 10th 0f September 2007. I will have alot more support there. I just worry that if it doesn't help, like i think it will. What will i do then.

Blimey i'm just so bloody lost.
I think when you immigrate you throw your life up in the air. For some the pieces land in the correct place...for others they land all over the place. It just takes time to gather the pieces and put them in the correct place. For some that place is in their new country for others it's back in the UK.

During the first 2 years I lived here...I couldn't even think about the following day. I felt so lost, empty, useless, desperate...I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere except go 'home'. I couldn't see anyway out of the position I was in. You will get through it...it may take time but you will eventually gather up all the pieces of your life and put them back into their correct place.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I think when you immigrate you throw your life up in the air. For some the pieces land in the correct place...for others they land all over the place. It just takes time to gather the pieces and put them in the correct place. For some that place is in their new country for others it's back in the UK.

During the first 2 years I lived here...I couldn't even think about the following day. I felt so lost, empty, useless, desperate...I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere except go 'home'. I couldn't see anyway out of the position I was in. You will get through it...it may take time but you will eventually gather up all the pieces of your life and put them back into their correct place.
Hi everyone, loved your post above Jerseygirl and I feel just like that at the moment as if all my the pieces are all over the place and can't quite grab them to put right.

Tillergirl, your not the only one who feels lost, I feel like that every day but especially lately and we can all empathise with how you feel.

The pscyhiatrist I am under has me on two dif tablets, one to compliment the other and at first it seemed ok and then sweats, cold, giddiness almost like seasickness hence I haven't been on here very much either. Two weeks ago I felt even worse so rung him and he lowered one of the tablets, now this week I feel like I have a viral infection, temp, hot cold,giddiness even worse and aches like you wouldn't believe. I was supposed to see him on Saturday but I felt so bad I had to cancel so this morning made an appointment with my own Doctor who is at the (same surgery as the Psyc) for tomorrow.

I am so sick and tired of feeling ill, I have had to cancel workshops because I am just not able to handle talking to people let alone trying to sell stuff! I try so hard to fight through it but its just not working. I thought I was on the right track going with this psyc but so far I feel worse not better.

Sorry rambled on a bit, had to add my bit to this thread after being away for a while.

Di
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the positivity Jersey girl. I'm hoping that my trip home will help me put the pieces back together, so that i can make the right decision as to where we all want to be.

Thanks for the empathy Plants. The seats are awful aren't they? I've been having eye pain. It's similar to sever eye strain. I think i will give my doc a call and ask if there is anything to combat it.
I just worry that i will end up on more and more tablets. But what can you do?
I know what you mean about being sick and tired of being ill. It gets to a point where your sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Things have got to get better....................for all of us.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

smokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I've been told that i am suffering from severe depressive phase and panic attacks.

I'm on Paroxetine (antidepressant), Clonazepam (calming tablets), omega 3 and zopiclon (sleeping tablets.

Life has been so unbearable that i consider ending it quite often. These tablets have helped, but not as much as I'd hoped they would.

My psychologist is helping me to learn new coping skills. These seem to be really helping but still i get overwhelmed by the smallest of things.

Has anyone else been on any of these meds? If so, were they good for you.

I will be on them for at least 6-12 months. Is this normal?

I've been looking at the exercise suggestions. When i have a good day i will give them a go, motivation is very low.

Sorry to ramble, just feeling very desperate and alone.
just take one day at a time,i did, when i went to the doc's with head ache,joints sore for no reason,mood swings,didnt want to get out of bed,i had all the blood tests going could not find anything wrong,the doc said i could be depressed,ha i laughed,what about i said, single male,own house,money in the bank etc,he insisted i tried his 'happy pills' ok nothing to lose,WOW what a diffence those made,was taking them for 4years, have been off them for a while now but still get the odd 'down day' but i also learned what caused it,so that helped as well to deal with it.you can also get info from the web, www.beyondblue.com.au just think when you get up in the morning 'nothing is going to upset me today' it takes time but you get there in the end. think positive thoughts, dont dwell on the past.keep happy, dennis.