Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good news about depression

Good news about depression

Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:30 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good news about depression

Originally Posted by sel
Oh really ....

QUOTE:

We have witnessed no decrease in suicide, but increases in murder/suicide, suicide, unwed pregnancies, domestic violence, manic-depression, MS, hypoglycemia, diabetes, bankruptcies, divorce, mothers (parents) killing children, road rage, school shootings, cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and fibromyalgia since these serotonergic drugs have become so popular and I relate it directly to the effects of these drugs. The death toll has continued to climb drastically since I wrote PROZAC: PANACEA OR PANDORA? Some of the cases you may be familiar with are: Mr. and Mrs. Phil Hartman (Zoloft), Prozac was found in the van of Mark Barton, the Atlanta day trader, who recently killed his family and others in a shooting spree before taking his own life; Neal Furrow, in LA Jewish school shooting was reported to have been court ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications; the Salt Lake Family History Library shooting, school shootings in Littleton, Colorado (Luvox), Atlanta, Georgia, Springfield, Oregon (Prozac), and Caldwell, Idaho; another boy in Pocatello, ID in 1998 who in seizure activity from Zoloft had a stand off at the school; 15 year old Chris Shanahan (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman; the shooting at the lottery in Connecticut last spring by Matthew Beck (Luvox) that left five dead in a murder/suicide; the New York City Subway bombing by Edward Leary (Prozac); little 10 year old Timmy (Prozac) in southern Florida; Nick Mansies (Paxil) in New Jersey who was convicted of killing a little boy who was selling cookies door to door; in Orange County, CA Dana Sue Gray (Paxil) who co-workers described as a very caring nurse killed several elderly people; Officer Stephen Christian (Prozac) one of the finest officers on the Dallas Police force, who ran into a police substation shooting at fellow officers and was killed; 13 year old Chris Fetters (Prozac) in Iowa who killed her favorite aunt; David Rothman (Prozac) killed two co-workers and himself at the Dept. of Agriculture in Ingelwood, CA; Williams Evans (Zoloft) shot one co-worker at the Ohio Bureau of Employment Services before shooting himself in Columbus, OH; Winatchee, WA where 43 people were wrongfully imprisoned in a false accusation of sexual abuse "witch hunt" fury started by a child under the influence of Prozac and Paxil; Christopher Vasquez (Zoloft) killed Michael McMorrow in Central Park; Megan Hogg (Prozac) duct taped the mouths and noses of her three little girls and took a handful of pills; Vera Espinoza (Prozac) in Randolph, VT shot her small son and daughter before shooting herself; an elderly man (Prozac) in Layton, UT axed his wife and daughter to death; Margaret Kastanis (Prozac) used a knife and hammer to kill her three children before stabbing herself to death; an elderly man (Paxil) in Dallas, TX strangled his wife before shooting himself twice in the chest; Larramie Huntzinger (Zoloft) blacked out and ran his car into three young girls killing two in Salt Lake City, UT; Mary Hinkelman (Prozac), a nurse in Baroda, MI shot her two small daughters and her sister before shooting herself; Lisa Fox (Prozac) shot her small son and her dog before shooting herself in Brighton, MI; Debi Louselle (Zoloft) shot daughter and then herself in Salt Lake City, UT; a father in Wyoming shot his wife, daughter and baby grand-daughter then himself after only days on Paxil; a mother (Prozac) in Pleasant Grove, UT killed her 17 year old son with a sledge hammer while he slept before she attempted suicide by drinking draino; Larry Butzz, a superintendent of schools in Ames, IA shot his wife, son and daughter before shooting himself - many cases pending in court are not mentioned. This is only a handful of MANY, MANY more cases - there would not be room for anything else if I continued listing the cases. A few additional famous victims: Princess Di (Prozac) and Dodi Fayed -via their driver Henri Paul (Prozac), Monica Lewinsky (Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Serzone and Phen-Fen), Chris Farley (Prozac), Pres. Clinton's ex-partner Jim Mc Dougal (Prozac), Abby Hoffman (Prozac), Del Shannon (Prozac), Danielle Steele's son (Prozac), INXS singer Michael Hutchence (Prozac), Sarah - Dutchess of York (Phen-Fen)

The latest figures show Prozac has about 44,000 adverse reports filed with the FDA. Out of those reports there are about 2500 deaths with the large majority of them linked to suicide or violence.

http://www.drugawareness.org/home.html

http://www.rense.com/general/pro.htm

how many of these would have happened anyway without anti depressents???

whilst you can quote name after name after name of the people you can argue anti depressents didnt work for, because they went and did.......................... whatever, im sure there are hundreds and thousands of people who they have helped...

im one of them! and in my job i could list many many more........

i dont completely disagree with what your saying, i just dont use my tunnel vision, i can see both sides!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:47 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz

whilst you can quote name after name after name of the people you can argue anti depressents didnt work for, because they went and did.......................... whatever, im sure there are hundreds and thousands of people who they have helped...

im one of them! and in my job i could list many many more........

i dont completely disagree with what your saying, i just dont use my tunnel vision, i can see both sides!

Absolutely you need to view things with an open mind - antidepressants have also prevented many, many people from ending their lives.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:45 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mandtooz;4983521]how many of these would have happened anyway without anti depressents???

I nearly spat my tea over my keyboard when I read that !! although I suppose it is an easy comment to make when you havnt been on the recieving end of such a tragedy. It is very easy to blame the illness.

The whole point people go on the medication in the first place is to stop this sort of thing, it is marketed as a safe, non-addictive, effective treatment. They have at last been made to put black box warnings on about giving this shit to kids doesnt that say something about what I am trying to get across ?? when not so long ago it was being marketed as safe to give to them. Hopefully it wont be long until they put black box warnings on them for adults as well and then everyone will have a FULL informed CHOICE as to wether or not they want to take the risk.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sel;4983972]
Originally Posted by mandtooz

I nearly spat my tea over my keyboard when I read that !! although I suppose it is an easy comment to make when you havnt been on the recieving end of such a tragedy. It is very easy to blame the illness.

The whole point people go on the medication in the first place is to stop this sort of thing, it is marketed as a safe, non-addictive, effective treatment. They have at last been made to put black box warnings on about giving this shit to kids doesnt that say something about what I am trying to get across ?? when not so long ago it was being marketed as safe to give to them. Hopefully it wont be long until they put black box warnings on them for adults as well and then everyone will have a FULL informed CHOICE as to wether or not they want to take the risk.
Good debate.
I do think though that many of the suicides etc you have quoted are often a result of people on medication who do not take their medication properly. If a schizophrenic decides for eg to stop taking thir medication, they are more likey to become violet, suicidal etc. The same, i think with ADs. Sure people on Ads have commited suicide, but Im sure although some who have - had decieded for whatever reason to cease taking them or take the wrong amount etc. But statistically, it will show x person was on ADs and now they are dead. Not always the full picture.
I suppose its like with all types of medication - its great for some and not for others, and hopefully those who have tried it and it doesnt suit have a good GP who will help them explore alternatives.
For me though, I dont know what would of happened to me in the past if I hadnt had them.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:53 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chance to be;4984952]
Originally Posted by sel

Good debate.
I do think though that many of the suicides etc you have quoted are often a result of people on medication who do not take their medication properly. If a schizophrenic decides for eg to stop taking thir medication, they are more likey to become violet, suicidal etc. The same, i think with ADs. Sure people on Ads have commited suicide, but Im sure although some who have - had decieded for whatever reason to cease taking them or take the wrong amount etc. But statistically, it will show x person was on ADs and now they are dead. Not always the full picture.
I suppose its like with all types of medication - its great for some and not for others, and hopefully those who have tried it and it doesnt suit have a good GP who will help them explore alternatives.
For me though, I dont know what would of happened to me in the past if I hadnt had them.
Yes I agree that there are those that will take themselves off their medication suddenly without weaning off them and it can and does have a very nasty effect but once again it is the medication that is the trigger for this. A non addictive drug, which is what they say they are, should not have an impact so severe when coming off them therefore this shows the system has become so dependent it crashes. Same as the known danger times for AD's which can be when you first start taking them or at anytime there has been a dosage change (up or down) or even when bringing another type into the mix.

It is also a known fact that alot of the time doctors do not know what they are doing, in the context of it being such a hit and miss approach. Some of them really havnt got a clue about what they are handing out.

All I can say is that for those of you they have worked for ... I am really pleased for you and you should count your blessings that you were spared the torture AD's can cause. But forewarned is forearmed !!!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:43 pm
sel
~~~

Sorry to keep going on

But forgot to mention ... How many of you ladies out there have considered that you could be perimenopausal ?

quote:
[Some clinicians maintain that perimenopause can last for as long as 5 to 15 years, while others refer to perimenopause as that period which is a 3 to 4 year span just before menopause. Either way, many women experience more symptoms during perimenopause than after menopause. Because this often happens at an age between 35 and 45, many women's symptoms are overlooked or ignored by their healthcare providers]..... therefore treatment could be way off.

http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/symptoms.shtml

Again I will use the forewarned is forearmed expression
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Sorry to keep going on

But forgot to mention ... How many of you ladies out there have considered that you could be perimenopausal ?

quote:
[Some clinicians maintain that perimenopause can last for as long as 5 to 15 years, while others refer to perimenopause as that period which is a 3 to 4 year span just before menopause. Either way, many women experience more symptoms during perimenopause than after menopause. Because this often happens at an age between 35 and 45, many women's symptoms are overlooked or ignored by their healthcare providers]..... therefore treatment could be way off.

http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/symptoms.shtml

Again I will use the forewarned is forearmed expression
I did consider that and it probably had something to do with the way I felt...again I want to avoid HRT unless is it really necessary.

I don't know about Oz but in the US many doctors are extremely keen to prescribe a whole range of meds at the drop of a hat. For almost all prescription meds taken long term there is a payback. We know many people who work in the pharma industry...most will avoid prescription meds like the plague.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:10 pm
sel
~~~

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I did consider that and it probably had something to do with the way I felt...again I want to avoid HRT unless is it really necessary.

I don't know about Oz but in the US many doctors are extremely keen to prescribe a whole range of meds at the drop of a hat. For almost all prescription meds taken long term there is a payback. We know many people who work in the pharma industry...most will avoid prescription meds like the plague.
I went to my doctor with irregular periods and asked if I could have the pill for a few months just to regulate, but because I was over 35 she said she wasnt able to prescribe it. She was trying to push the HRT but I refused and then she tried to give me AD's ... go figure ???

Anyway things went back to normal in their own time.

Thank you for sharing what you said about the people you know in the pharma industry it speaks volumes !! certainly makes me feel less like the ranting nutter that I seem to turn into when this subject comes up
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Me too there is no way I would be able to speak to any doctor, I would just die of embarrassment. Unfortunately, I have been brought up to believe that you just get on with it. I do think I am still suffering from some prolonged form of PND. When my son was born I took some test that the health visitor came round with and my scores were quite bad. She wanted me to see the doctor but I just couldn't deal with that so I just got on with it.

I think it has been a factor with my unhappiness in Canada but I have to try and push it away as I have a family to look after. I can so relate to what you are saying about the feelings coming on and you can't do anything about it. Horrible isn't it?
Hi Fishfinger,
Sorry to hear about how you are feeling.
I hope you could find a solution about
your house which is keeping you here.
Have you considered renting it out for now
and have a good rental company manage the renters?

That will free you up to go home and be with your family.
You could still put your house up on sale while it is
being rented.

Sometimes things don't go accordingly as planned,but your
happiness and well being are important.
Take care,
Yoong
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

karina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud of

You have all made me cry.............

After living in Spain for 5 year I fell pregnat wih my beautiful daughter Rosie .........unfortunately I went into labour at 26 weeks and the spanish hospital were brill------------I was on constant bedrest untill she was big enough to be delivered.

Anyway ---------after she was born I went through hell...........the worst PND you could imagine.

How did my OH react ?????-he had an affair

anyway after a year or so of anti-depressents I fell pregnatnt again with another girl - this time the PND was massive and ahe will be 3 in July - i can't get rid of thid feeling and he doesn't help at all.

I have 4 beautiful children and it was only last night I considered chucking myself under the train.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karina
You have all made me cry.............

After living in Spain for 5 year I fell pregnat wih my beautiful daughter Rosie .........unfortunately I went into labour at 26 weeks and the spanish hospital were brill------------I was on constant bedrest untill she was big enough to be delivered.

Anyway ---------after she was born I went through hell...........the worst PND you could imagine.

How did my OH react ?????-he had an affair

anyway after a year or so of anti-depressents I fell pregnatnt again with another girl - this time the PND was massive and ahe will be 3 in July - i can't get rid of thid feeling and he doesn't help at all.

I have 4 beautiful children and it was only last night I considered chucking myself under the train.
Oh no...you poor thing...please don't do anything like that. Like you said you have 4 beautiful children and they need their mum. You have a lot to live for.

Did the anti depressants the doctor prescribed help you at all? Have you been back to the doctors?

I can see you are new to BE...welcome. You can always come on here...I'm sure there are many who will support you and try to lift your spirits. Have you ever been into the Lounge or TIO? If you read back through some of the old threads they are hilarious. I know we are not the answer to your problems but we can provide a shoulder to cry on.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

karina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud ofkarina has much to be proud of

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

I need a place too off-load, sorry it has to be here.

I love my children to bits but sometimes feel they would be better off without me.

I just don't know what to do or where to go.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I love my children to bits but sometimes feel they would be better off without me.

Please be careful what you write, I'm talking about your OH seeing it thinking of you (((((hug's)))))
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You have nothing to be sorry about. You have come to the right place to vent...we all do it so don't worry.

Why don't you start a new thread...tell us a little about yourself.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:00 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

What you need to do is seek help NOW. Are you from England originally? Its so much harder because you are in a destructive relationship in a foreign country and you can't get any help. Please don't do anything silly as your kids need you and they need you to take charge. You may not think it now but you will become stronger. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.