Wikiposts

Good Bye Canada

Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Good Bye Canada

After 2 years in Canada split between Calgary and Vancouver our resolve... is getting stronger by the day... to go back.

Nothing to do with mediocrity, architectural and otherwise.
Or with run-of-the-mill-restaurants full of brash and loud waitresses. 4 Way Stop signs instead of roundabouts, and drivers lethargic with the use of indicators when taking a left from the outside lane. Minimum effort school programmes, and similar organization in the work place. Awful tasting beer! ..in the country with the best water in the world. Customer Service that will bring the most disfunctional marriage together!
Airport Improvement Tax. Dodgy tea and cigarettes and many many, others. Ultimately even this is not enough to sway us. But the family ties really do tip the scales.

We are heading back to... ( Do not let them fool you ) the best country in the world!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Bye Canada

Originally posted by Gezza
After 2 years in Canada split between Calgary and Vancouver our resolve... is getting stronger by the day... to go back.

Or with run-of-the-mill-restaurants full of brash and loud waitresses. 4 Way Stop signs instead of roundabouts, and drivers lethargic with the use of indicators when taking a left from the outside lane. Minimum effort school programmes, and similar organization in the work place. Awful tasting beer! ..in the country with the best water in the world. Customer Service that will bring the most disfunctional marriage together!
Airport Improvement Tax. Dodgy tea and cigarettes and many many, others. Ultimately even this is not enough to sway us. But the family ties really do tip the scales.

We are heading back to... ( Do not let them fool you ) the best country in the world!
Know exactly what you mean. My wife and I hope to be back before christmas, all being well, and we can't wait. Best of luck, and hope it all goes smoothly.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Someone sounds bitter !!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:06 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

well said! Best of luck mate
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

This has been a very interesting post.

In fact there have been several similar posts about Canada and how a lot of Brits there just think the UK is better in many ways.

I live in the Far East, although I did go back to the UK for nearly a year very recently.......frankly I hated the place and couldn't get out quick enough!

Canada is one of my long term options, and it seems the immigration points pass mark has just been lowered to 67 from 75. Which means I could probably get in basically if I wanted to.

I have been to Canada twice & I thought it was great, and I felt it looked far better than the UK.

Could you perhaps pass on a few more tips, advice or general views on why you feel Canada did not live up to your expectations? I would love to hear a bit more from someone who has actually lived there for a while.

Any views deeply appreciated.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

we made the journey back about a year ago, and although we liked living in BC we haven't regreted coming back at all. Frankly there's just so much more to do back here. Sure there are some downsides, as there are about any country, but we're thouroughly enjyoing being back. Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paddythepilot
..... Could you perhaps pass on a few more tips, advice or general views on why you feel Canada did not live up to your expectations? I would love to hear a bit more from someone who has actually lived there for a while. ....
The "features" Gezza listed sound the same as so many posts by disenchanted British expats from across Canada, the US, and Oz. Certainly where I am sounds much the same, and I LOVE it here, in North Carolina!

I think that expats can be devided into those that like and enjoy the differences of the country that they moved to, and those that don't. You will never persuade those in one camp to join the other, and despite much whining about things overseas, it always looks to me like what takes most expats back to the UK is homesickness - "it just isn't the same here", rather than any profound problem with their new home.

My advice is, Paddy, if you have been happy living in Hong Kong (and away from the UK), then you'll have little difficulty adjusting to living in Canada (or the US, or Oz, etc.)
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski

I think that expats can be devided into those that like and enjoy the differences of the country that they moved to, and those that don't. You will never persuade those in one camp to join the other, and despite much whining about things overseas, it always looks to me like what takes most expats back to the UK is homesickness - "it just isn't the same here", rather than any profound problem with their new home.

I think your point holds for some people Pulaski. For others, such as my wife and I, they may well enjoy living overseas, but ultimately decide that what the UK has to offer them is what they want. It may not be for you or Paddy the Pilot, but we feel we made the right choice, and after all we made our decision for ourselves and nobody else
Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

My advice is, Paddy, if you have been happy living in Hong Kong (and away from the UK), then you'll have little difficulty adjusting to living in Canada (or the US, or Oz, etc.) [/QUOTE]

Nice bit of advice, thanks much appreciated.

Yep! Maybe you are correct, I have been quite happy living in Kenya, Hong Kong, Australia and then back to Hong Kong for the past 14 years.

Having gone back to the UK for a short while........I am certain I don't want to live there again! (Hence back to Hong Kong).

I guess my dilema is that I quite fancy a life in a western country with lots of space, but that I would be giving up a very good and well paid career in Asia!

The difference would be being able to retire at 50 or 55 as compared to maybe 65 (if lucky) if I moved to, say Canada.

Canada looks good to me as a place to live, just a bit concerned about the career opportunities?

Views very welcome.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:26 pm
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paddythepilot
I have been to Canada twice & I thought it was great, and I felt it looked far better than the UK.

Could you perhaps pass on a few more tips, advice or general views on why you feel Canada did not live up to your expectations? I would love to hear a bit more from someone who has actually lived there for a while.

Any views deeply appreciated.
Hey PaddythePilot,

I'm an expat the moved back to the UK after living in Canada. For me personally this was a mistake. I had great expectations.... I was moving home.

It was not the same as I remember it. Now coming back as a mom, I was not prepared for the lower standards that the schools are. I feel that I have really let down my kids. The lower standards have been proven in international testing (uk didn't even hit the top 10, which Canada did). The food laws are so lax. I have personally had food posioning more times that I can count.
Head Lice is a major concern in UK schools. In Canada there can be these problems as well, but the difference is that the children are forced to stay off school till it is cleared up. In Yorkshire schools the infected children are still allowed to come to school.
I guess it all comes down to your personal tolerences and what you can live with.
It cost us alot to move back to the UK, so we will have to make the best of it until we can afford to move back to Canada.

I prefer Canada after living in both places.

Before anybody gets there knickers in a knot, these are MY views and experiences. I am not attacking anyone.

Fried
Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by fried_emu
Hey PaddythePilot,

I'm an expat the moved back to the UK after living in Canada. For me personally this was a mistake. I had great expectations.... I was moving home.

It was not the same as I remember it. Now coming back as a mom, I was not prepared for the lower standards that the schools are. I feel that I have really let down my kids. The lower standards have been proven in international testing (uk didn't even hit the top 10, which Canada did). The food laws are so lax. I have personally had food posioning more times that I can count.
Head Lice is a major concern in UK schools. In Canada there can be these problems as well, but the difference is that the children are forced to stay off school till it is cleared up. In Yorkshire schools the infected children are still allowed to come to school.
I guess it all comes down to your personal tolerences and what you can live with.
It cost us alot to move back to the UK, so we will have to make the best of it until we can afford to move back to Canada.

I prefer Canada after living in both places.

Before anybody gets there knickers in a knot, these are MY views and experiences. I am not attacking anyone.

Fried
Fried,

Thanks for your post.

Yep! I couldn't agree more with you!

There is no way I will be moving back to the UK again, I did try that in August 2001 and I lasted just 10 months.......it just wasn't the country I remembered and maybe I had changed too much along with my expectations for the place.

Still, certain things were very nice, like the country lanes and the vilklage pubs etc.......but not enough to stop me moving on.

Anyway, Canada looks like a better option I am just concerned about the employment opportunities.

Cheers
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Fried & Paddy, I am glad you have revealed the other side.!
And then again it is quite disturbing that a number of people get stuck in this "moving back" warp. I suppose commuting is out of the question!

The other point. Finding work in Canada is definitely harder.
My own take is, and I could be wrong!: The higher spec job you aim for the less likely that you will get there without some "requalification" hurdles thrown at you. My own take is, and I could be wrong! that in BC Brits have a reputation for being very good at their job and... not everyone likes that sort of thing round their office. My tip for anyone looking for a job is be innovative. Cold calling Managers is more acceptable here than in the U.K. Go for temping/contract jobs to get your foot in the door 1st. BC industry is very incestuous and word gets round fast. Use it to your advantage. Avoid getting a reputation for looking down on the way things are done here, go out with your workmates and make yourself approachable and friendly. You will get your dream job in the end.

Gezza
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Fried & Paddy, I am glad you have revealed the other side.!
And then again it is quite disturbing that a number of people get stuck in this "moving back" warp. I suppose commuting is out of the question!

The other point. Finding work in Canada is definitely harder.
My own take is, and I could be wrong!: The higher spec job you aim for the less likely that you will get there without some "requalification" hurdles thrown at you. My own take is, and I could be wrong! that in BC Brits have a reputation for being very good at their job and... not everyone likes that sort of thing round their office. My tip for anyone looking for a job is be innovative. Cold calling Managers is more acceptable here than in the U.K. Go for temping/contract jobs to get your foot in the door 1st. BC industry is very incestuous and word gets round fast. Use it to your advantage. Avoid getting a reputation for looking down on the way things are done here, go out with your workmates and make yourself approachable and friendly. You will get your dream job in the end.

Gezza,

Thanks for the reply.

All we can conclude really is that everyone is different, just cos Fried and myself didn't like the UK doesn't mean you or others won't just love it! Hopefully you will........and discover all the good things about the UK you missed whilst in Canada.

We all have different expectations of course and very best of luck with your re-location back home.

Thanks for the tips about finding work in Canada, I have heard what you have said from others about the Canadian employment situation.

This is what seriously concerns me, because moving across the World is difficult enough, but having to spend months on end looking for a new job, (along with having to jump through all the hoops to get there), is it really worth all the effort?

I still haven't come to a conclusion yet, which is why reading views from people like yourselves is so valuable!

Keep up the posts and best of luck with your move back to the UK.

Cheers.

Gezza
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by BigBill
we made the journey back about a year ago, and although we liked living in BC we haven't regreted coming back at all. Frankly there's just so much more to do back here. Sure there are some downsides, as there are about any country, but we're thouroughly enjyoing being back. Good luck with the move.

Hi Bigbill,
Just wondering how you have settled as we are thinking,of returning home from OZ.
Where abouts have you settled, did you have, trouble buying a home?
Everyone mentions how expensive, the homes are in England, have you managed to buy one yet?
My cousin lives in Reading, she has sent out a property guide,and to me the houses, compared to OZ, are very small and expensive.

I guess the houses in Canada,would be very much like Aust.
I do hope that you have settled in and are happy,it is such a big move.
We will be going back this Nov, for 5 weeks,hoping to look in Winchester, Reading, Oxford.[ might win the lottery and all my troubles will be over.
Has the traffic bothered you much?
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by fried_emu
The lower standards have been proven in international testing (uk didn't even hit the top 10, which Canada did).

Fried

Actually in the recently published longitudinal studies of 16 year olds from all the industrialised countries, the UK came out in the top FOUR for maths and science and the top seven for language skills- significantly higher in all areas than the US- not higher than Canada though, Canadian children performed well too.