Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good areas to live in England.

Good areas to live in England.

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good areas to live in England.

Gosh, good areas in England - spoiled for choice I would think! I indulge myself by playing that game every now and again and bottom line is that I would be happy anywhere rural. From a price point of view, Lincolnshire looks to be good value but I cant think of anywhere execept the big cities (and I exclude London because I actually LIKE London) that I would avoid. If I had pots of money I would go for somewhere like Iona off the coast of Scotland - I just love that place - or maybe Mull. Or down in Devon/Cornwall somewhere or Somerset. Or even South Wales - nah, I really cannot make up my mind. Sitting here in Cambridgeshire I would be more than happy to be here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Do you live in the Adelaide Hills? I agree I have not found an awful lot of people friendly in Adelaide,perhaps we have just been unlucky.

I had a B.B.Q. for Australia Day this year invited about 30 people>>>still waiting for all the invites to their homes that I was promised on that day.
I don't think that I had better hold my breath
yes I do live in the adelaide hills.

Ill bet they all drank your beer and then took all theirs home too eh??
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellie10990
yes I do live in the adelaide hills.

Ill bet they all drank your beer and then took all theirs home too eh??
YES THEY DID HONEST what do they say ( live and learn )
I am also in the Adelaide hills>>>and boy it's cold today.I still prefere it to the awful heat of summer.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:44 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Surbiton. If you wanna work in London its perfect. Cycled a long the Thames yesterday to Hampton Court. Went into Bushy Park and back to Kingston. Really lovely round here. Expensive though.

(says he, moving away again in 2 weeks!)
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Norfolk is a very beautiful area, and i agree with regards to Gt Yarmouth, my kids craze to go there, but i tend to put my foot down, much prefer Lowestoft, or the North Norfolk coast, Wells/Cromer/Holkham - my fave, all beautiful and within a short distance of Norwich. Prices are high, but no higher than many areas in the country. There are many new developments going on around the area, and plenty that have been built a few years ago. biggest thing I had to adjust to was the amount of peeps around especially weekends at the beaches etc., But Norwich itself has two shopping malls, Castle Mall and Chapelfield, and plenty of small out of town areas full of the same shops, DFS, Homebase etc., Norfolk is lovely and the weather is pretty ok, although you do get the wind coming in from the North Sea sometimes which can be chilly, but when its hot its lovely. The A11 goes direct to London and the train -when it runs to time - goes every half hour and takes about 2 hours. A47 takes you across to the midlands area. Check out Rightmove.co.uk for property places. And http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/ is the local norfolk rag. Hope that helps in someway. And yes I do live in Norwich.....

Last edited by truditjh; Jul 22nd 2008 at 12:03 pm. Reason: numpty who cant spell
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'd look in the south-west / south coast - if only for the weather ! think the south-east is the warmest, generally speaking, but the most expensive. I'd agree with an above poster that what you bring with you may dictate your starting point ... I'm guessing you do not have friends or family that are pulling you to a particular county ?
I do have friend and family and most of them are in and around the Manchester area. However, I am quite happy not to necessarily live 5 minutes away from them, as long as I'm in the country I figure I can get to them at least once a month or something, as well as be there for them if they need me and attend special occasions. I'd be perfectly happy to be at the opposite side of the country from them, that would be wonderful having been at the opposite side of the world for so long!

As for capital, well if the Australian tax office doesn't get too much more of it off me, and if I can sell my property here, I should be coming over with about $85000 ish, so not enough to buy a house outright anywhere, but surely a decent deposit. I am single so would only need a 2 bedroom apartment or small house.

Thanks for the tips so far, please keep 'em coming!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990
I now live in Adelaide but came from stockport just outside manchester.
To be frank the area I came from in stockport (Bramhall)was much more picturesque than anywhere here although stirling comes close.
There was no crimes that I know of in my surrounding areas.Nice shopping areas,coffee places etc etc and much nicer,friendlier people and nighbours than I have found here.
In short much,much nicer than Adelaide
Are you planning to get out too then? Where abouts in Adelaide are you?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

jules h is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt rule out the Manchester area. The city has really moved on since the bomb and the centre is certainly has a great vibrant feel to it. It feels very safe and is now very european in feel.
Some parts of Chesire are lovely depending on your budget and the standard of living tends to higher as living costs are less than parts of the South.
Try looking around the villages of Prestbury and Alderley Edge fantastic english heritage and beautiful countryside. An easy commute to Manchester and easy train access to London etc. Also more Champagne consumption than any other part of the UK.
Having lived in various parts of the UK I would keep you options open and have a good look.
Good luck
Jules
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

tonyandlynz is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not consider the Peak District ie Buxton Bakewell areas slightly higher house prices but natural beauty. I could recommend a great place to live in an old cotton mill of course right by the river.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:12 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

I would highly recommend Cheshire area.

I would stay South country...weather is always few degrees milder than North. Exeter is my favourite for retiring
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Great advice everyone. Thanks so much and please keep it coming.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

MsGiraffe will become famous soon enough

Hi,

If your budget can stretch to that, I would recommend South Oxfordshire. There are some lovely rural areas and the weather is a bit more gentle than Up North, generally speaking. North Yorkshire would also be my second choice. But do lots of research because places move on and change, and they are never the way you remember them. It is probably a good idea to start looking from what your budget will get you, and then research those areas in terms of whatever your priorities are. Rightmove, Upmystreet and local forum websites/local newspapers are very helpful imo in giving you a view of what the area is like, what are the concerns of the community, etc. Rent somewhere for a while before you buy is also a golden rule.
Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

We live in Plymouth...it must be great because that's where we live. Very close to one of the consistently best schools for the south west...handy for the beaches (not as big as Ozzie ones).

Countryside nearby. I don't come from this area myself however my other half is a local girl - so they're real friendly!!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed all your postings they were so interesting. As I have been out of the Uk for nearly 30years its difficult to know were to put down my roots. My parents are not both dead they lived in Chester my brother also lived just outside Chester and he is dead, so the area does not have that pull for me anymore. I do have lots of friends in the area but the traffic is really bad trying to get into Chester would rather have somewhere less busy. Having lived in rural areas in the US I think I would find it hard to settle down in a busy area.
I like the idea of Yorkshire, always thought it was beautiful.
We are heading for Dorset at the end of August and then up North to my family who live in Lancashire.
When our house eventually sells we are going to rent for a while till we decide were we want to live.
When we fly into Heathrow I am going to visit my sister who lives in Watford anyone got any ideas on what the area is like and what the traffic we be like.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:01 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I am going to visit my sister who lives in Watford anyone got any ideas on what the area is like and what the traffic we be like.

Sorry TT but Watford - you have to be insane to want to put down roots there.

The traffic is dire especially round the one way system around the shops and there are loads of speed cameras in the area now.

My best friend has just moved from Watford to a nicer area outside of Watford.

If you want me to pm you with how bad Watford really is let me know. I love the UK for sure but happily admit that some areas are just YUK - Watford being one of them.

Dorset or Watford - hmm - no brainer IMHO of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.