Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good areas to live in England.

Good areas to live in England.

Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good areas to live in England.

Ok I currently live in Adelaide and have done for most of the last 18 years.

I will happily admit that I like most things about Adelaide MORE than I like what I know of Britain (which is mainly areas around Manchester where I grew up).

I still want to move back, mainly to be nearer family, and partly to be able to take sentimental trips down memory lane occasionally without it costing $1000s and taking all my annual leave!

However I don't necessarily want to live in Manchester again, and frankly a lot of the news I have heard lately puts me right off it (higher than UK average crime, violence drugs etc, more 'deprived areas' and so forth).

My question is, where in UK would suit me best. Here's what I want and I would like to satisfy all or most of the following criteria.

- Cost of living as low as possible (I realise it's generally not low anywhere in UK, but as low as possible, keeping the other criteria in mind).

- Weather as warm and sunny as possible, for as much of the year as possible.

- Nice friendly people.

- Nice housing (which I generally define as newer style homes).

- Good quality, clean public spaces.

- Crime rates as low as possible.

- Good access to shopping, leisure and entertainment facilities. By 'good shopping' I mean at least one really good modern indoor Westfield or similar mall not more than 40 minutes drive away.

- Good access to jobs. I can work in either the retail / leisure industries as a manager, as a security manager or similar quasi-law enforcement type position (management level) or in employment services / recruiting so anywhere those sort of jobs are likely to be available.

I know I'm asking quite a lot, and I'm probably unlikely to find anywhere in UK with the absolutely perfect combination of all those things, but can anyone please tell me of places in UK that would come pretty close?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:51 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good areas to live in England.

Originally Posted by backagen

I will happily admit that I like most things about Adelaide MORE than I like what I know of Britain (which is mainly areas around Manchester where I grew up).

I still want to move back, mainly to be nearer family, and partly to be able to take sentimental trips down memory lane occasionally without it costing $1000s and taking all my annual leave!

However I don't necessarily want to live in Manchester again, and frankly a lot of the news I have heard lately puts me right off it (higher than UK average crime, violence drugs etc, more 'deprived areas' and so forth).

My question is, where in UK would suit me best. Here's what I want and I would like to satisfy all or most of the following criteria.

- Cost of living as low as possible (I realise it's generally not low anywhere in UK, but as low as possible, keeping the other criteria in mind).

- Nice friendly people.

- Good access to shopping, leisure and entertainment facilities. By 'good shopping' I mean at least one really good modern indoor Westfield or similar mall not more than 40 minutes drive away.

- Good access to jobs. I can work in either the retail / leisure industries as a manager, as a security manager or similar quasi-law enforcement type position (management level) or in employment services / recruiting so anywhere those sort of jobs are likely to be available.

I know I'm asking quite a lot, and I'm probably unlikely to find anywhere in UK with the absolutely perfect combination of all those things, but can anyone please tell me of places in UK that would come pretty close?
I'm from Manchester and can relate to what you are saying. I love Manchester but would never live there again. We moved to a village between Southampton and Portsmouth, on the river Hamble. Nice village, good weather relative to the UK as a whole, and 30 mins to Southampton or Portsmouth (which I am not keen on, but there is lots of retail) and 45 mins to Winchester (which is great, but expensive to live). We liked our village but if you have no family or friends there, do not underestimate the potential isolation, and travel is not easy as it is so expensive and traffic can be bad obviously. Also going from a city to a small village sounds appealing but can be very boring - no Mardi Gras, Adelaide Festival, WYD, tea and coffee festival...coffee... - you get the picture. Nice walks though and some nice woods and fairly near to the New Forest. General crime was low in the villages though there was really nothing to do for teenage kids to do so there were large constellations drinking in some areas, especially around takeaways, offies, and on part of housing estates until the council took the benches away! It is hard moving from an Australian city if you have got used to Australian city life, but there are really no large UK cities that we could tolerate (and find work in), having lived in a few of them. UK village life is worth considering if you can adapt to it, especially if you have connections nearby. Try before you buy though.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

- Nice friendly people.

I know what you mean, I find it really requires some research. I have been out of the UK for 30 years and am hoping to move back this year. Many areas that were considered "dumps" when I left, have now been cleaned up and are quite desirable places to live. I am from Leeds, when I lived there, many parts of the city that were considered no-go, are now housing professional people in apartments that I could never afford. I think after living in South Africa and Canada for a number of years, commuting would not concern me. When I lived in the UK, to travel 10 miles to work was out of the question. Maybe parts of Scotland are worth looking at, many of my friends have quite happily settled there. Coming from Australia, you should be quite familiar with their national hero (Mel Gibson).

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 20th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

It entirely depends upon your housing budget and what compromises you are prepared to make to live in the UK over what's got to be the least populated landmass with any real economy in the world.

Retail management money is not going to vary as widely as a lot of other industries so it's your capital that will dictate your destination not your earnings potential.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

- Nice friendly people.

We live in North Yorkshire. Would highly recommend it to anyone. Wonderful countryside, lots to do and would say had low crime stats. Really is a lovely place and hope we can find somewhere in Aus as good!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

- Nice friendly people.

I'd look in the south-west / south coast - if only for the weather ! think the south-east is the warmest, generally speaking, but the most expensive. I'd agree with an above poster that what you bring with you may dictate your starting point ... I'm guessing you do not have friends or family that are pulling you to a particular county ?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

have you looked into East Anglia, we have decided on Norfolk though I personally have never been, so will have to check it out before buying property etc. Not far from London, my mum in Essex, Dad and brother in North London, loads of history, away from it but still accessible, I think after iving in semi-rural NZ, South UK would be too crowded and expensive. Also like the look of Norwich.

But am not sure exactly where, my main concerns are obviously crime and safety especially for my kids, but good high schools and things for teens to do,would a village or market town be too quiet ???

I'm finding it all more stressful than actually emmigrating!

Last edited by LizaJane; Jul 20th 2008 at 11:03 pm. Reason: additional comment and spell check
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:53 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I think Torquay and some places in Cornwall are the warmest, aren't they? The "English Riviera."

Pricey, but I think house prices are going to come down quite a bit there because people from the SE are having to give up their second homes, and people are also looking to not drive so far because of petrol costs. And the generally awful selling prospects in the UK now as well.

Bev
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:39 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
have you looked into East Anglia, we have decided on Norfolk though I personally have never been, so will have to check it out before buying property etc. Not far from London, my mum in Essex, Dad and brother in North London, loads of history, away from it but still accessible, I think after iving in semi-rural NZ, South UK would be too crowded and expensive. Also like the look of Norwich.

But am not sure exactly where, my main concerns are obviously crime and safety especially for my kids, but good high schools and things for teens to do,would a village or market town be too quiet ???

I'm finding it all more stressful than actually emmigrating!
Australia Bound is on to something. I think anywhere around the East Middle of England, East Midlands, East Riding, East Anglia are good bets.

I lived in Lincoln for several years, MIL lives in East Riding. Visited Norwich quite a few times and it is nice. Stay away from Great Yarmouth though, it is the armpit of the area.

Generally, low crime, affordable housing, so-so employment based usually on health/social care, retail, trades and agriculture. Not majorly great for high end professionals but there will be some management, academic etc type roles available.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busterboy
Australia Bound is on to something. I think anywhere around the East Middle of England, East Midlands, East Riding, East Anglia are good bets.

I lived in Lincoln for several years, MIL lives in East Riding. Visited Norwich quite a few times and it is nice. Stay away from Great Yarmouth though, it is the armpit of the area.

Generally, low crime, affordable housing, so-so employment based usually on health/social care, retail, trades and agriculture. Not majorly great for high end professionals but there will be some management, academic etc type roles available.
thanks busterboy!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I know what you mean, I find it really requires some research. I have been out of the UK for 30 years and am hoping to move back this year. Many areas that were considered "dumps" when I left, have now been cleaned up and are quite desirable places to live. I am from Leeds, when I lived there, many parts of the city that were considered no-go, are now housing professional people in apartments that I could never afford. I think after living in South Africa and Canada for a number of years, commuting would not concern me. When I lived in the UK, to travel 10 miles to work was out of the question. Maybe parts of Scotland are worth looking at, many of my friends have quite happily settled there. Coming from Australia, you should be quite familiar with their national hero (Mel Gibson).
In that respect, County Durham deserves a look. It has very inexpensive houses, beautiful coast/countryside, great cities - shopping/entertainment/culture - in Newcastle, Durham City, Gateshead etc.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

DebbieH is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the West Country and and the south coast. You can get areas that are not so expensive. Such lovely countryside and coastal areas.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

- Nice friendly people.

I now live in Adelaide but came from stockport just outside manchester.
To be frank the area I came from in stockport (Bramhall)was much more picturesque than anywhere here although stirling comes close.
There was no crimes that I know of in my surrounding areas.Nice shopping areas,coffee places etc etc and much nicer,friendlier people and nighbours than I have found here.
In short much,much nicer than Adelaide
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busterboy

Have to agree busterboy>>> we visited Great Yarmouth while on holidays last year,and words fail me trying to discribe the place,just awful
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellie10990
I now live in Adelaide but came from stockport just outside manchester.
To be frank the area I came from in stockport (Bramhall)was much more picturesque than anywhere here although stirling comes close.
There was no crimes that I know of in my surrounding areas.Nice shopping areas,coffee places etc etc and much nicer,friendlier people and nighbours than I have found here.
In short much,much nicer than Adelaide
Do you live in the Adelaide Hills? I agree I have not found an awful lot of people friendly in Adelaide,perhaps we have just been unlucky.

I had a B.B.Q. for Australia Day this year invited about 30 people>>>still waiting for all the invites to their homes that I was promised on that day.
I don't think that I had better hold my breath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.