Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Gone back to UK for holiday & changed your mind about returning?

Wikiposts

Gone back to UK for holiday & changed your mind about returning?

Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gone back to UK for holiday & changed your mind about returning?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I would suggest that any of you nice people currently living in warm, sunny climes far away from the shores of the UK, and harbouring thoughts and desires of returning to live back home here again, at least wait until this current ****ing freezing, snowy, icy, winter has come to an end.
How I envy you those clear blue skies and hot sunshine and lovely beaches.
Do you really think that hot, humid, mossie and fly plagued Australian summers are any better?

I would gladly swap for "freezing, snowy, icy, winter" on many days (and nights).

There is far more to life than hot weather
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that any of you nice people currently living in warm, sunny climes far away from the shores of the UK, and harbouring thoughts and desires of returning to live back home here again, at least wait until this current ****ing freezing, snowy, icy, winter has come to an end. It seems to have been dragging on for ages already - snow and icy and bitingly cold north east winds day after day - and it's still only the first of December, and in meterological terms the first of December is officially the first day of the winter season. What a hoot that is.

How I envy you those clear blue skies and hot sunshine and lovely beaches. It's no use me escaping this icy cold, snowy weather here by nipping down to the south of Spain for a long weekend where my sister and bro in law have a shared holiday home close to Malaga, as it's been doing nothing but pi$$ felines and canines day after day down on the Costas at the present time - virtually non stop.
Well hurry up and bleedin' move then. You've been singing this boring song for years
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well hurry up and bleedin' move then. You've been singing this boring song for years
....and the words don't get any better
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara B.
When we first became expats, I didn't want to go back the the UK on holiday for two reasons, firstly because I felt I was sick of it and wanted to see the back of it, but secondly (and probably more revealingly) I didn't want to be torn in any way or reliant on Brit products and come back with suitcases stuffed with supplies.I threw myself into the move 'away'.

Fast forward quite a few years to find me returning to the UK for a couple of fact finding tours and I understand what LisaP said "We went to London for a holiday in the spring and it just confirmed, totally and absolutely to me that England was the place to be for us. "

Meeting the UK, it's people and bustle again, was like falling in love with an old flame who has aged quite well and who may have cleaned up some of the bad habits (though, can't think which of my old flames that analogy would fit with!). Any of the faults or wrinkles doesn't conceal the sheer gorgeousness of the UK.

I have a few misgivings, I can remember my good reasons for wanting out in the first place. But I guess sometimes you can travel the whole world just to want to end up on your old doorstep again?

My fear is getting there and thinking "Oh ####, WHAT have I done???"
Your wise words certainly resonated with me Barbara. We left the UK 30 years ago and have been very happy living in Canada until we retired recently. We've made many trips to the UK over the years, and never had the feeling of wanting to be back there, always felt as if we were coming home when we left. When we were both working, we were too busy to be unhappy. I think when you retire, you have different needs, i.e. more friends with similar interests and mindset to your own, which is much more difficult to find in Canada.

Just went back for a visit in October, and now suddenly my DH and I both have the same feeling, suddenly we both want to go back. I think your comment about an old flame with cleaned up bad habits is so true. We found that many of the things we disliked about the UK when we left were no longer there, there are so many more similarities between Canada and the UK than there were when we left....or maybe when you get older its just a natural feeling to "go back to your roots".

But I agree with you its very frightening to make the move and then think "OH NO...what did I do". We are still thinking about it......
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great post, you've given me some heart there. I now accept ones view of England/UK comes down to absolutely being in the right place. That message has finally sank home.

It's must be far more polarised than most of Aus. I guess coming here at age 25 has made me slightly naive and hesitant to accept what looks to others like an obvious and glaring fact.

Problem with this is I cannot really stay or reside in any area that I am familar or have lived in the past back in the UK.

No wonder my Brothers Village of Simpson, (suprisingly in Milton Keynes) with it's Thatched cottages and 15th century church, canal and pubs and country walks scored so highly with me.

Heres a pic just across the road from my Brothers house.... yes it is in central MK.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/13...51a693d7e2.jpg
Wow that is just gorgeous.

Nooo it is not an obvious fact at all for some of us it is a gradual realisation, I came here when I was 28 full of gung ho and let's do it, 28 year later I find myself a whole different person to who I was then...........
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that any of you nice people currently living in warm, sunny climes far away from the shores of the UK, and harbouring thoughts and desires of returning to live back home here again, at least wait until this current ****ing freezing, snowy, icy, winter has come to an end. It seems to have been dragging on for ages already - snow and icy and bitingly cold north east winds day after day - and it's still only the first of December, and in meterological terms the first of December is officially the first day of the winter season. What a hoot that is.

How I envy you those clear blue skies and hot sunshine and lovely beaches. It's no use me escaping this icy cold, snowy weather here by nipping down to the south of Spain for a long weekend where my sister and bro in law have a shared holiday home close to Malaga, as it's been doing nothing but pi$$ felines and canines day after day down on the Costas at the present time - virtually non stop.
Well Lothianlad, as much as I know you are going through bad weather for now, you may be lucky enough to have a White Chrismas, then soon you will have spring and isn't that a magical time in the UK, lambs skipping about the meadow, crocuses and snowdrops and all those lovely spring flowers, leaves budding on trees.....then the summer OK sometimes it is rubbish but when the skies are blue and fields are green and you have those endless long nights it's heaven, then there is autumn with the weather getting a little cooler and the leaves falling from the trees and those that don't are all different shades of red........then we have winter once again, don't you just love the four distinctive seasons.........not just..........hot...........and............cold.

Have you actually ever lived outside the UK in a place that has just 2 seasons?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and the words don't get any better
Why don't you take the giant leap and JUST DO IT!!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:33 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'll trade your few weeks of snow and icy cold for an entire 5 months of it.

You sound unhappy in the UK Lothianland. Are you not able to leave?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'll trade your few weeks of snow and icy cold for an entire 5 months of it.
You sound unhappy in the UK Lothianland. Are you not able to leave?
Sometimes I love the UK and sometimes I hate it - it all depends on which aspects of life here are bugging me at any given time, or what makes me happy about my present life. I am lucky in being in a job which I really enjoy, and I realise that many people are, unfortunately, not in such a happy situation - they are either in a job they hate or don't have a job at all. I am also in a very happy relationship (I am gay) right now, too, and my partner also has a good job and he has no desire whatsoever to move away from the UK - if we want a change of scene, the experience of a different environment and a different culture, we are even more fortunate in having the rest of Europe so very close at hand and we do take advantage of that as often as we can, and I guess that is something to be grateful for. We can have cheap breaks in southern Spain as my sister and her husband have a second home down there and I do like Spain very much - the more relaxed lifestyle being the main reason....those blue skies, hot sunshine and beaches again.

However I still find myself thinking of a life in a more distant part of the English speaking world and North America has often appealed - at first Canada and then the USA - how long for I don't really know for sure as I know in my heart I would eventually come back to the UK - to Scotland, and definitely to Edinburgh - after a few years, say twenty or thirty years. I shall be 29 in April and that scares me a wee bit - heading towards middle age and all that stuff. But as I say, in spite of the sort of yearning to experience life in another country outside of Europe (English speaking a must for me - sorry to be so "parochial but I make my living through the use of our beautiful homegrown English language) I don't think it will ever happen for reasons I gave earlier on in this post.

I am not really unhappy living in the UK at all - this country really does have so many good things going for it, but there are also quite a few negatives - recent seemingly unrestricted immigration, often from outside of the EU or Europe generally, a decline in social standards in many quarters (you can thank the last Government for that in my opinion) and of course this sodding rotten weather.

Already I am pi$$ed off with all this snow and the persistent cold and the problems getting around and all the transport holdups - I live fairly close to Edinburgh International Airport and recently it has been more non-operational than operational due to the continual snowfalls, which could be a blessing in disguise as the skies are quieter.

That's another thing which annoys me about this country of mine - it simply can't handle snowy, icy weather conditions too well, as most other northern European countries can and do - the same applying to the United States and Canada, too, of course...they manage efficiently in far worse conditions.

The UK always seems to grind to a halt whenever there is a heavy fall of snow, and lessons never seem to be learned. Last winter 2009/10 was very cold and snowy and chaos reigned supreme and now this winter is turning out to be even worse so far, and still many authorities are taken "by surprise" and are "unprepared"! Gatwick Airport in the south of England has been closed today due to 15 inches of snow - I'm glad it's now their turn down there in the South!

Journeys that normally take an hour or two at most now seem to take up[ to eight hours, train services are hit and miss, and today, Thursday 02/12/10, over half of the UK's schools were closed "due to the weather". This country is now governed by "Health and Safety Regulations" which are now turning us all into a load of limp wristed wimps.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Dec 2nd 2010 at 10:30 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:44 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be 29 in April and that scares me a wee bit - heading towards middle age and all that stuff.
Bless you, you're a spring chicken still! Well, maybe a slightly frozen one given the current weather! Loads of time for you yet. 50 is supposedly the new 'middle-age' now........ (she says hopefully!)
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I run a small weather station in my back garden here in the western suburbs of Edinburgh and the current air temperature (as registered in a Stephenson screen) here at 23:30hrs is -14.7C, and nearby Edinburgh Airport is registering -12.6C. Standing outside in the garden right now it hurts your lungs with each deep intake of breath.

Down in Shropshire, England, Shawbury is currently registering -18.1C so a wee bit tough on all their extremities. Wharever happened to global warming?
I reckon the Gulf Stream has been badly weakened by melting arctic ice - as the experts predicted, therefore making the UK and Western Europe a lot colder in winter - who knows.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Bless you, you're a spring chicken still! Well, maybe a slightly frozen one given the current weather! Loads of time for you yet. 50 is supposedly the new 'middle-age' now........ (she says hopefully!)
Im 52..and they say 50 is the new 40..etc etc...lol
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
here is our experience.

I understand where your question comes from. We asked ourselves many times. For us the move to US and move back to UK was brought about by external forces providing the opportunity / occasion rather than a grand personal desire to make the move - the pull for me was always in the direction of UK.

We lived in US for 18 yrs, moving with husbands employer.
Me, the trailing spouse had ebb and flow in my feelings about both countries. In the first 5 yrs in US I did not travel back to UK for fear that if I did I would just stay and not go back to US, I was unable to settle there in US my own mind.
Then after about 10 yrs, and a rainy week holiday in London I was so glad to be going back 'home' to the US.
Recently after 18 yrs, me retired and when DH employment was forcing a move in the US, my / his feeling was if I had to move I wanted it to be UK , although would have stayed in US if that is what DH wanted. However, he responded to my needs and we moved to UK.
I was worried about the future cost of healthcare in US if anything were to happen, that's me wanting to avoid what-if worries that may never happen. Also if DH died (he has not indicated he plans to) then I would certainly wouldn't want to stay / couldn't afford to stay in US alone.

So how do I feel now that I am back, well, relief, home at last , I never felt that US could ever be home. However, I feel the price is a lower quality of life somehow in a way that I cannot define easily, regards culture of peoples attitude and pessimism. But we will live our own lives. do what we enjoy, look over the heads of sour faces. DH has yet to find anything in UK that makes the UK fantastically better than US, but then has equal feeling that US is not exceptional better than UK, he is accepting that this is where we will stay and has no burning desire to return to US. The two countries are just different worlds, no regrets on either.

When you come to a fork in life's road, boldly make a choice based on how you feel at the time and don't look back.

Best wishes in your choices,
JJ - I didn't realize you had already gone back to the UK. Good for you!!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Lothianland.

To this 40-something, you sound as though you have it made - great job, great country, happy relationship and Europe right on your doorstep - but being 29 I totally understand that you sometimes want more ... or rather different.

I was 24 when I went to Canada and 30 when I left there for the US. I was sick of Thatcher and what her government was doing to my beloved north and I was bored in my job and I couldn't wait to leave England. Then I was so excited to arrive in the US - sunshine! Big houses! Money! American Dream! - but have become disillusioned in more ways that I could count. I don't exactly regret the decision - well, not every day anyway and I am very fortunate financially, unlike most people in this godforsaken country. But I've come to understand that friends and family mean more than I ever understood at 26. And that home really is home. (Your own people are nutty but they're nutty in a way you can understand. Americans? I will never ever understand as long as I live). And finally, I have come to appreciate the NHS for the wonderful gift that it is.

As the Faces sang 'I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger.'