Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

going xmas shopping to england tomorrow night

going xmas shopping to england tomorrow night

Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default going xmas shopping to england tomorrow night

I have got three days off before I have to work so am going to the UK tomorrow night, coming back on friday, so will have a grand total of 27 hours on uk soil... I hope barring any delays!

As its going to be a quickie, i am trying to put my shopping list together, basically groceries!! I know i am going to forget something, i have so far, tin of roses chocies, tin of buscuits, pickled onions, branston, mince pies, xmas cake, crackers, sage and onion stuffing. jacobs cracker selection. oh and the kids stocking stuff... i know i am going to come home and think oh damn!!! Anything i forgot??
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:46 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going xmas shopping to england tomorrow night

Originally Posted by Deedee13
I have got three days off before I have to work so am going to the UK tomorrow night, coming back on friday, so will have a grand total of 27 hours on uk soil... I hope barring any delays!

As its going to be a quickie, i am trying to put my shopping list together, basically groceries!! I know i am going to forget something, i have so far, tin of roses chocies, tin of buscuits, pickled onions, branston, mince pies, xmas cake, crackers, sage and onion stuffing. jacobs cracker selection. oh and the kids stocking stuff... i know i am going to come home and think oh damn!!! Anything i forgot??
A 3 bed semi?

Really, that is absolutely BRILLIANT!

Can you bring through customs fresh bread, pastries and cream?
M&S jams.
200 bacon sandwiches for the flight back?

Last edited by Xebedee; Dec 18th 2007 at 8:02 pm. Reason: afterthoughts
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Colemans...

The crackers could be a problem ...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean Christmas crackers? If so, you can bring those on a plane. If you remove the snap, then you can...

Teabags? Crisps? Green and Black chocolate? Terry chocolate orange?

I don't know about you but I'm fond of the British culture of charity Christmas cards and I always pick up quite a number of packets of those when I'm in the UK in and around Christmas. Just don't buy any that are not rectangular (you'll pay a surcharge for odd shapes). I think those kind of cards are both good for the charities and gives your non-British recipients something to think about.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: going xmas shopping to england tomorrow night

Just keep in mind when you pack for your flight back to the UK, you can only bring one item of hand luggage on the plane, regardless of what your airline says!!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just keep in mind when you pack for your flight back to the UK, you can only bring one item of hand luggage on the plane, regardless of what your airline says!!!
Deedee13 is a flight attendant ... or whatever the current name is ...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

lemon curd, marmalade, HP sauce, Bounty, Polos, Jaffa cakes................ and chocolate hobnobs...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:47 pm
an mhaith leat cupán tae?

Tea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
Colemans...

The crackers could be a problem ...
I managed to bring back christmas crackers in my smuggling suitcase in November.......it was thoroughly searched and they stole my Bisto powder and Beef Oxo cubes.....but left the crackers

Have a lovely shopping trip!

:Jealous:
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:50 pm
an mhaith leat cupán tae?

Tea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Do you mean Christmas crackers? If so, you can bring those on a plane. If you remove the snap, then you can...

Teabags? Crisps? Green and Black chocolate? Terry chocolate orange?

I don't know about you but I'm fond of the British culture of charity Christmas cards and I always pick up quite a number of packets of those when I'm in the UK in and around Christmas. Just don't buy any that are not rectangular (you'll pay a surcharge for odd shapes). I think those kind of cards are both good for the charities and gives your non-British recipients something to think about.

The charity card idea is a good one....I wish I had thought of that....

I have been trawling the shops here and they don't have any, shame....

I emailed our local Humane Society and asked if they sold any, they told me "No", but thanks for asking!"
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

chocolates to hang on the tree, paxo, M&S shortbread, cheese savouries, a Merry Christmas banner... I have just returned from a 5 week stint in the UK. Asda, Wooolies, Sainsbury's & Tesco are all doing great offers.. 2 tins of roses for £9.00, even M&S shortbread was buy a big pack get one free....Chocolate oranges were 1/2 price and there is a new mint one out as well.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Tea Pot
The charity card idea is a good one....I wish I had thought of that....

I have been trawling the shops here and they don't have any, shame....

I emailed our local Humane Society and asked if they sold any, they told me "No", but thanks for asking!"
You'll love the design of a Christmas card I bought in 2005. It's from the NSPCC and the card is a 2D teapot, with a cut-out handle!

I've bought UNICEF cards from stores locally in the past. Generally speaking, charity Christmas cards are still a bit of novelty in the US.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Why go all the way to England ?
You can get all that stuff at any 'Fresh Farms' store ... there are a few in South Carlolina and other places.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:30 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
lemon curd, marmalade, HP sauce, Bounty, Polos, Jaffa cakes................ and chocolate hobnobs...
How did you know the contents of my husband's Christmas stocking???

I actually bought everything you mentioned this past weekend at our local World Market Store. The only thing they don't have that he absolutely loves is Winegums. Otherwise, all is available right down the road from us.

~SecretGarden
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:36 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden

I actually bought everything you mentioned this past weekend at our local World Market Store. The only thing they don't have that he absolutely loves is Winegums. Otherwise, all is available right down the road from us.

~SecretGarden
Great minds...

And you are right about the winegums. Always have to bring those for # 2 son.

Oh........ and all the football magazines for # 3 son. And Private Eye and a bunch of daily newspapers for everyone.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden

~SecretGarden

The big HEB stores here in Texas sell Winegums. Do you want me to mail you some..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.