Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going home (yes *home*) for 2 weeks

Wikiposts

Going home (yes *home*) for 2 weeks

Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:10 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Going home (yes *home*) for 2 weeks

I fly out on Friday for two weeks in the UK. (Well, OK, four of those days in Madrid.) Will be spending time mostly in London with my older sister, Devon with my mother and brothers, and Wales (a few days get-away-from-it-all, also with my sister). Will see Love's Labor's Lost at the Globe and Ricky Gervais and the Hammersmith Odeon while I'm there.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

Hardest thing about going is finding dog sitters/places to stay for the five dogs, but that's sorted.

I don't know how others do it, but I'm planning to use my US passport on the US-UK/UK-US flights and UK passport within the EU. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home (yes *home*) for 2 weeks

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I fly out on Friday for two weeks in the UK. (Well, OK, four of those days in Madrid.) Will be spending time mostly in London with my older sister, Devon with my mother and brothers, and Wales (a few days get-away-from-it-all, also with my sister). Will see Love's Labor's Lost at the Globe and Ricky Gervais and the Hammersmith Odeon while I'm there.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

Hardest thing about going is finding dog sitters/places to stay for the five dogs, but that's sorted.

I don't know how others do it, but I'm planning to use my US passport on the US-UK/UK-US flights and UK passport within the EU. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you're in for a good time.

Yep that's the way I would use the PP's too. As you probably know you have no other option but to use your US PP to depart and arrive in the US. Failure to do so will result in being detained and a hefty fine.

Hopefully I will be following you soon...I am just waiting for my PP which should take a couple of weeks then hopefully I'll be hot footing it across the pond.

Hope you have a fab time with your family.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:25 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As you probably know you have no other option but to use your US PP to depart and arrive in the US. Failure to do so will result in being detained and a hefty fine.
Ooooh, no, I didn't know about the detention and fine!

Can you use the UK passport to enter/leave the UK without a problem? Just thinking of getting through lines more quickly . . .

Hopefully I will be following you soon...I am just waiting for my PP which should take a couple of weeks then hopefully I'll be hot footing it across the pond.
Hope the PP comes soon!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Ooooh, no, I didn't know about the detention and fine!

Can you use the UK passport to enter/leave the UK without a problem? Just thinking of getting through lines more quickly . . .

Hope the PP comes soon!
You can use either PP for the UK or any other country but you must you your US PP to leave and enter the US.

Using your UK PP to enter the UK will probably get you through immigration quicker.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Using your UK PP to enter the UK will probably get you through immigration quicker.
Boy, I wish this was still the case. Last few times my OH and I have gone through, he's made it through the foreign visitor line so much faster than me. The immigration person explained that there are a lot more EU visitors now, so it's sometimes faster for non-EU to go through. I can't laugh at OH any more!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TaraC
Boy, I wish this was still the case. Last few times my OH and I have gone through, he's made it through the foreign visitor line so much faster than me. The immigration person explained that there are a lot more EU visitors now, so it's sometimes faster for non-EU to go through. I can't laugh at OH any more!
In that case if you're a dually you can use either line.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

In that case if you're a dually you can use either line.
Hopefully soon!