Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going home in style.... lol

Wikiposts

Going home in style.... lol

Old May 30th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Going home in style.... lol

So I booked my flight back to England today for the end of June. Prices were pretty high, EXCEPT for Icelandair. So - I decided to make a little holiday out of the return trip and spend a couple of days in Reykjavik on the way back. The price? $355 JFK to LHR.

Now the flight is booked, everything seems to be falling into place. Went and got a load of boxes and other packing stuff from from UHaul. And stopped at Borders and bought a book on, well, Iceland. lol.

Got a job to go to, so just need a house and a car. Not mention a nice beer and a good curry. Planning a trip to the South of France before I start my new job. So things are looking pretty peachy right now.

Now just got to get things in order. Bills, money in one place etc etc.

Would be interested to hear of everyone else's move back to England after a few years away.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home in style.... lol

Sounds like fun. I bet they are practically giving away the Iceland Hotel stay too.
Enjoy yourself
Old May 30th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathy22w
So I booked my flight back to England today for the end of June. Prices were pretty high, EXCEPT for Icelandair. So - I decided to make a little holiday out of the return trip and spend a couple of days in Reykjavik on the way back. The price? $355 JFK to LHR.

Now the flight is booked, everything seems to be falling into place. Went and got a load of boxes and other packing stuff from from UHaul. And stopped at Borders and bought a book on, well, Iceland. lol.

Got a job to go to, so just need a house and a car. Not mention a nice beer and a good curry. Planning a trip to the South of France before I start my new job. So things are looking pretty peachy right now.

Now just got to get things in order. Bills, money in one place etc etc.

Would be interested to hear of everyone else's move back to England after a few years away.
We are planning on which "route" to take back home lots of places have "come up" but not Iceland...we are in Aus so it might be a problem...but always a place we have "fancied".....when we return home we will have been away for 12 years....(been back to visit a couple of times though)we do know of people who have been away longer than us and 9 times out of 10 they are happy and glad to have "made the move home".....we know we might have to make a few adjustments...smaller home, weather etc but that is something we are more than willing to do just to be "back home"...
good luck....hopefully things might be a lot cheaper now in Iceland...
Old May 30th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

*sigh* And all I'm getting is a stop in Shannon and then having to wait for 6 hours in Dublin for my flight to BHX - (TOL to O'Hare to DUB via Shannon and then onto BHX). But it was under $500
Old May 31st 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

We are heading back on the Queen mary after a couple of days in NewYork.

It works out to be more or less the same cost as one way flights from Winnipeg!!!
Old May 31st 2009, 7:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller

It works out to be more or less the same cost as one way flights from Winnipeg!!!
Now that is traveling in style
Old May 31st 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Now that is traveling in style
On the Queen Mary? How long is that going to take?
Old May 31st 2009, 8:52 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller

ohhh you'll love it, you'll be spoiled rotten and not want to get off at the other end..

and the best part is the NO restrictions on luggage..
Old May 31st 2009, 8:53 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

On the Queen Mary? How long is that going to take?
I know the question wasn't aimed at me but it takes 5 days to cross the atlantic..
Old May 31st 2009, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I know the question wasn't aimed at me but it takes 5 days to cross the atlantic..
Really cool.
Old May 31st 2009, 10:20 am
Last orders please...

Really cool.
the bit I liked was no jet-lag, everyday your on the ship you put your watch forward one hour so when you reach Southampton your in the correct time zone..
Old May 31st 2009, 10:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
ohhh you'll love it, you'll be spoiled rotten and not want to get off at the other end..

and the best part is the NO restrictions on luggage..
Does it all go in your cabin, or can you store it somewhere? Seems a no luggage limit rule wouldn't be much fun if it means you are sleeping surrounded by suitcases and backpacks.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:09 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by dunroving
Does it all go in your cabin, or can you store it somewhere? Seems a no luggage limit rule wouldn't be much fun if it means you are sleeping surrounded by suitcases and backpacks.
luckily no , you can actually easily store 4 large suitcases under the bed but I guess if you had more than this you just talk to your Steward/ess and they will store them elsewhere..