Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going home for indefinite period

Going home for indefinite period

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home for indefinite period

I thought until I read this thread that I was the only one who has never felt that I belonged. I have been here for more years than I care to tell you and have 4 children and 8 grandchildren and the ninth on the way.

I have been told by many people that I should be glad that I live in such a wonderful country, and yes for many people I am sure it is, but sadly for myself it has never been "home". What home means is the ability to walk down the street and seeing people who not only know you but remember you when you were a kid or knew your mom and dad. To feel the full weight of the history and the heritage of the land that you walk on and to know that somewhere and at sometime members of your family fought and died to give you the freedom that you enjoy.

My husband is Canadian and I am so lucky that he is behind our decision to move back to Scotland in the next few months. My children, grandchildren can't wait to visit us and walk the fields and streets that I have always told them stories about. Don't get me wrong, all of my family is now Canadian by birth and that alone will cause me to have strong ties to this land and I will be moving back knowing that things have changed and that it is not the same as my childhood "hame". But, after everything is said and done it is "hame" has and always will be. Good luck to you Ruby and to everyone else who decides to make the journey back to the land of our birth wherever it may be
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ruby,you courageous womanWishing you happiness
and all the best to your new life back home.Let go of the torments so that there are rooms for happiness,peace and many good things to grow inside
you. Have a great trip home.

Yoong
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hey Ruby,you courageous womanWishing you happiness
and all the best to your new life back home.Let go of the torments so that there are rooms for happiness,peace and many good things to grow inside
you. Have a great trip home.

Yoong
Those are great words Yoong and i totally agree....
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ruby,

I have followed your story for quite sometime, and think you are indeed a strong woman for taking that step to do 'something' to see what happens. You can't figure anything out until you experience what it is you feel you are missing. Good luck with everything, and I just know that in the end, what you need to do will become clearer and clearer to you, in time. I know it isn't easy, but you have already started the process of doing what needs to be done. I wish you only happiness!

Good luck
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi Ruby,

I have followed your story for quite sometime, and think you are indeed a strong woman for taking that step to do 'something' to see what happens. You can't figure anything out until you experience what it is you feel you are missing. Good luck with everything, and I just know that in the end, what you need to do will become clearer and clearer to you, in time. I know it isn't easy, but you have already started the process of doing what needs to be done. I wish you only happiness!

Good luck
I agree
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:34 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't come in this side often, but saw your post on Mrs M thread and had to "well done"

Not everyone has the courage that you have to make that trip back to see if you can make it home or if canada was for you
I really hope you find what you are searching for and keep us updated, like gaynor said on the other post its like everyone is heading back

Looks like a big glass for me and few others in the coulees this summer
There is another expat heading back that date, ill PM you

LB
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:40 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Rubes.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you lots and lots of good luck and Happiness Ruby
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I haven't been on here for absolutely ages 'cos I've been trying to work on my head and heart as to where they think I should be!! Anyway, after suffering 18 months of horrible depression and making everyone's life miserable with my moping, I've decided to go home with my daughter. My OH and son intend to stay on here in Canada and keep the house going and I will move in with my parents until I can sort myself out and perhaps look for a place to rent. It's a very apprehensive time for me right now because I'm going through all the usual doubts and inner conflict if I'm doing the right thing, but I've had so much feedback from lots of friends and family that this is the only way I'm going to get my feelings out of my system. I will see for myself if being back home is the right decision or wrong one. So, I leave Calgary on 21st June....Manchester, here I come!!
Ruby...good luck.....and the very best of wishes...I have p.m'd you........
take care and don't be to hard on yourself......
xxxx
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

Good Luck Ruby, I totally agree that it is always better to do something, you will know yourself as soon as you arrive whether you have done the right thing. I like Merseygirl have been in Australia way longer than I should, but we all have our own journeys, I call it "limbo land" as it is not really living, but it is comfortable and easy most of the time, but empty.
We are all behind you and will follow your story with interest - Hugs
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

sarah64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ruby, let us know how it all goes.
I'm in a similar position, if I leave soon, I leave with my 16 year old daughter but leave behind (for now) my husband and my 18 year old son.
Not an easy decision to make, I haven't made it yet, so I'll be watching for your progress!

Wishing you all the luck in the world.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rubes, just wanted to say good luck and remember what I said yesterday - get yourself sorted out, take a step back and don't worry about what's going on over here whilst your there. I really hope you find what it is you want and what you need to get yourself on some sort of even kilter. I know it's scary - any big step is! Enjoy all the curries Take care my friend - there be an email waiting for when you get to a computer that end!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hey Rubes, just wanted to say good luck and remember what I said yesterday - get yourself sorted out, take a step back and don't worry about what's going on over here whilst your there. I really hope you find what it is you want and what you need to get yourself on some sort of even kilter. I know it's scary - any big step is! Enjoy all the curries Take care my friend - there be an email waiting for when you get to a computer that end!
Aww Piff, I was so sad after you left yesterday....but you gave me much to ponder and I know that should I come back here, I've got a bloody good friend in you! Gonna miss you for a while....Big hugs xxxx
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say a big Thank You to everyone who has offered their best wishes, thoughts and similar experiences....I really appreciate them For those of you who are in a similar situation to myself...I share your pain and conflict...it's not easy is it? I'm only doing this because my flights were mega cheap ($500 one way for me and my 11 year old)....if there was no "Bargain June" flights on offer, I think I'd still be here, spending the summer still churning over my thoughts and wishes of being back home! It's a big step for anyone to consider to walk away from one half of your family in order to do some soul searching...and until I'm back over there, I can't really comment either way on whether it's a good or a bad decision.

So, I've got 2 days to go......still not properly packed because I only have a poxy 20kgs limit and my summer stuff is that alone! Relations at home are neutral, if not more upbeat now as my OH and son are convinced I'll be back by September....apparently, my daughter appears to have changed her mind about wanting to actually LIVE in the UK...she only wants to go back for a long vacation, spend time with family and do all the fun stuff she's wanted to do, but then she wants to come back to all her friends here and the school she has criticized so often Don't get me wrong, I know my daughter inside and out and she is very prone to changing her mind from one minute to the next, so I'm just taking these comments in my stride and waiting to see how she goes when back home.

Anyway, I'm off to get more packing done....will check in on Sunday morning with my "toodle-ooooo"

Rubes x
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I just wanted to say a big Thank You to everyone who has offered their best wishes, thoughts and similar experiences....I really appreciate them For those of you who are in a similar situation to myself...I share your pain and conflict...it's not easy is it? I'm only doing this because my flights were mega cheap ($500 one way for me and my 11 year old)....if there was no "Bargain June" flights on offer, I think I'd still be here, spending the summer still churning over my thoughts and wishes of being back home! It's a big step for anyone to consider to walk away from one half of your family in order to do some soul searching...and until I'm back over there, I can't really comment either way on whether it's a good or a bad decision.

So, I've got 2 days to go......still not properly packed because I only have a poxy 20kgs limit and my summer stuff is that alone! Relations at home are neutral, if not more upbeat now as my OH and son are convinced I'll be back by September....apparently, my daughter appears to have changed her mind about wanting to actually LIVE in the UK...she only wants to go back for a long vacation, spend time with family and do all the fun stuff she's wanted to do, but then she wants to come back to all her friends here and the school she has criticized so often Don't get me wrong, I know my daughter inside and out and she is very prone to changing her mind from one minute to the next, so I'm just taking these comments in my stride and waiting to see how she goes when back home.

Anyway, I'm off to get more packing done....will check in on Sunday morning with my "toodle-ooooo"

Rubes x
Safe travels!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.