going home back to the UK

Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road
Default going home back to the UK

anyone gone back to the UK lately need info on moving companies etc etc
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going home back to the UK

There are a few. Here's my review of a couple.

Upakweship - you have to pack the stuff yourself and load it yourself. This saves you quite a bit of money but I'm lazy. They are very reputable and good customer service though.

Allied - sent a weird bloke over to take an inventory of our stuff. I basically told him it was 350 cubic ft of boxes plus 2 sofas. However he wanted a list of every TINY thing even though I explained to him we had just moved over a year ago and the amount we were shipping back was EXACTLY the same except for the 2 sofas. STILL wouldn't listen. Then they took TWO WEEKS to get back to me with a quote which ended up being for a 20ft container!!!!! 350 cubic feet and 2 sofas does NOT take up a 20ft container.

Rinkens - the guy who was supposed to come over and give us a quote called me that evening to say he was coming from Long Beach and "was it really necessary"? We estimated it was about 500 cubic ft. They actually came back with the cheapest quote.

Schumacher - EXPENSIVE.

Rainier - we've used this company before. A nice guy came over and looked at our stuff. Realized it was pretty much what they had sent last time (minus the two sofas) and left. Their quote was a bit more than Rinkens but we've used them before and the customer service is really good (lots of email communication etc) So we decided to go with them.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info, I know im asking a lot of you and I know you busy but how was working with rightmove and what costs did you entail when doing your rental
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Also take a look at Wheaton Worldwide. I used them twice and they were reasonably priced and easy to work with.

I also used Rinkens but I had a major problem with the packers they sub-contracted to.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

The letting agency had a ÂŁ300 admin fee which we paid the other day. That covers credit/reference checks etc. then we have to do two months deposit.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Rightmove was just the website that lists the house. Everything is done through whatever lettings agency the house is rented through.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks britwhore did you make a trip back home before deciding on where you would rent/ live
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
anyone gone back to the UK lately need info on moving companies etc etc
Starline were good. Half the price of some other companies we have used before, but the staff and packing were just as good. I would happily use them again.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

We lived in the next town over from Nov 2012 to Jan 2014 so we knew the area well and were there only recently (jan 2014)
Old Feb 1st 2015, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

thanks dunroving just looked on the Wheaton Worldwide and they have an agent in Orlando not far from where we live I will contact them
Old Feb 4th 2015, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

what electrical equipment can I take back to the UK and is there a adapter I can buy, also will my gps work in the UK.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 12:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
what electrical equipment can I take back to the UK and is there a adapter I can buy, also will my gps work in the UK.
Unless it says on the spec plate (usually near where the power cord attaches), that it is dual voltage (120v & 240v, or often: 100v-250v) then you would need a transformer to make it work. Even with a transformer you may have an issue with some appliances that are frequency specific, which at very least means anything with a motor, which if designed for US 60Hz mains may run slow on UK 50Hz mains.

In short, it is usually best to take only things that are dual voltage and not frequency specific, which probably means your computer(s) and not much else. People report different experiences with TVs even if they are dual voltage and not frequency specific, some say they work fine in the UK, others say they don’t.

If you decide to take something that is not dual voltage, be sure to get an adequately sized transformer - which in my opinion means rated for at least twice the power of the most powerful appliance you intend to run on it. I.e. if you have a 1000w appliance, buy a transformer rated for at least 2000w.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

You can take computers, laptops and gaming devices no problem. You will need an adapter. You will need a converter for all other non-motor items.

They say anything with a motor will not last but I had my US kitchen aid and vacuum cleaner when we lived in England and used the converter with no problem - I guess they don't last long being used this way. Never got to find out, I'm still using them here in the US and I will take my kitchen aid with me back to England.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
You can take computers, laptops and gaming devices no problem. You will need an adapter. You will need a converter for all other non-motor items.

They say anything with a motor will not last but I had my US kitchen aid and vacuum cleaner when we lived in England and used the converter with no problem - I guess they don't last long being used this way. Never got to find out, I'm still using them here in the US and I will take my kitchen aid with me back to England.
He would need a transformer not a converter! Googling the two comes up with entirely different products: a converter is a rinky-dink little thing for low power appliances when travelling and are not suitable, or safe, for long term and/or higher power appliances.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Oops that's what I meant. I have 2 transformers I should know better, it's been a while since I used them. Fried brain.