British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Going home!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/going-home-670043/)

Steveclare May 28th 2010 12:35 am

Going home!!!

Hi
Just thought I would share our decision to move back to the UK after nearly 2years in Townsville. It's been a hard decision but after spending Easter back home I realised how much myself and my daughter are missing out on family and UK life!! I can't believe how much I miss English life, walking in the country and everyone saying hello it was such a contrast from here where I am lucky if I get a grunt from fellow walkers.

I still have my ups and downs of "are we making the right decision" but when I think of spending the rest of my life here I just can't imagine it.
Being around my family and friends is just so much more important, although I wish I could take my house and garden with me.

All the best to those who decide to go home!!!!:thumbsup:

Loch Lomond May 28th 2010 1:13 am

Re: Going home!!!

Good luck to you Steveclare, I understand how you feel. I am taking advantage of the weak pound and house prices in the UK and buying just now, as I think we'll be doing the same as you in the next couple of years.

quoll May 28th 2010 6:22 am

Good luck with your move! I know what you mean about the friendliness in Yorkshire - I experienced it too in Feb/March and would love to live in that part of UK if we were ever to return. This is certainly the time to be going over in that direction with the dollar value against the pound and the inflated Aus house prices. For decades it has been nigh on impossible to go in that direction and the bonuses have all been for Poms wanting to come here - about time things looked up for those of us wanting to go in the opposite direction!

I am sure you will find a super house and garden (at rock bottom price LOL) for your return!

LIBBY May 28th 2010 12:07 pm

Good luck to you...I agree with the walking bit...so much nicer in the UK.

LibbyX

salopian May 28th 2010 12:35 pm

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you. The thought of growing old in Oz is terrifying!

pinkkristen May 28th 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steveclare (Post 8594822)
Hi
Just thought I would share our decision to move back to the UK after nearly 2years in Townsville. It's been a hard decision but after spending Easter back home I realised how much myself and my daughter are missing out on family and UK life!! I can't believe how much I miss English life, walking in the country and everyone saying hello it was such a contrast from here where I am lucky if I get a grunt from fellow walkers.

I still have my ups and downs of "are we making the right decision" but when I think of spending the rest of my life here I just can't imagine it.
Being around my family and friends is just so much more important, although I wish I could take my house and garden with me.

Good luck to you, we are from Yorkshire and so miss the people and the countryside. It is a difficult descion esp as we have family both sides but i can't imagine being here for the rest of our lives either, We too are trying to head back in the next year, back to where our hearts are!:thumbup:

SDDep May 28th 2010 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steveclare (Post 8594822)
Hi

Good for you...I know exactly what you mean...

Mummy in the foothills May 28th 2010 1:53 pm

More Yorkshire people going home! I must put Yorkshire on my must visit list, it seems to have a strong pull on it's locals.

SDDep May 28th 2010 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8595930)
More Yorkshire people going home! I must put Yorkshire on my must visit list, it seems to have a strong pull on it's locals.

It beats Wales thats for sure:)))

Mummy in the foothills May 28th 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8595934)

:thumbdown: Booo!

penury May 28th 2010 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8595930)

its probably because more people emigrated from Yorkshire than Wales:rofl:

I wonder, do Welsh people tend to stay put, & not emigrate as much as others do in the rest of the UK

charleygirl May 29th 2010 11:09 am

Good Luck to you Steveclare, lets us know how it goes, do you have a date booked for you return?

dunroving May 29th 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8595934)

Efallai , namyn Sir Efrog ewigod mo ca Katherine Jenkins

Mummy in the foothills May 29th 2010 3:52 pm

I've been gone so long I don't even know who Katherine Jenkins is :o

Bermudashorts May 29th 2010 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8598164)
I've been gone so long I don't even know who Katherine Jenkins is :o

Don't be hard on yourself. I am still here and don't know who Katherine Jenkins is. :D