Going back to the UK to rent a house

Going back to the UK to rent a house

Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going back to the UK to rent a house

Originally Posted by uaemanc
Hi everyone,
I am planning to go back to UK in June to find a place to rent... will be submitting spousal visa in July (applying from uae). Just wondered if it will be possible to do, has anyone gone through a successful letting agent?... I dont have a strong credit history... have the funds etc to rent as going via cash savings... has anyone been through this too? as staying with family n friends is not an option. Really hoping I can manage to rent something feeling worried.
We have done this twice. Both times got around the credit rating issue by paying 6 months rent up front
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quokka
We have done this twice. Both times got around the credit rating issue by paying 6 months rent up front
The OP needs to be careful though, because the spouse visa hasn't been approved. If it was refused for any reason, they'd have buckleys of getting that 6 months rent back.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hey so you didnt go back for it u did it all online? is tht even possible
Spacecake's done it so it must be possible, but you'll find the vast majority of agents/landlords won't issue an AST in these circumstances.
Old May 1st 2018, 6:05 am
Just Joined

uaetouk is an unknown quantity at this point

It will note be straight forward but seems possible. One agent is still entertaining me, few ran away though
Old May 1st 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

I had issues with the reference check as I was asked very early on in that process whether I had permission to stay and it had to be a clear 'yes' or 'no' (spouse visa was still being processed at that point). Good luck!
Old May 1st 2018, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by prospect
I had issues with the reference check as I was asked very early on in that process whether I had permission to stay and it had to be a clear 'yes' or 'no' (spouse visa was still being processed at that point). Good luck!
Yes, that will be a sticking point for the OP. Landlords are now required to conduct 'right to rent' checks on prospective tenants and there are hefty penalties for those who don't.

The checks can theoretically be done from overseas, as the checks must be done either in the presence of the prospective tenant, or the required documents sent to the landlord prior and verified by him/her with the tenant on video link. In that way, the member of the couple who has the right to rent in the UK could obtain the tenancy, with a written letter signed by the landlord giving permission for the spouse to be added to the tenancy agreement once they get their visa.

But in reality, most landlords aren't going to go to those lengths, especially given the inherent problems in renting a property sight unseen.
Old May 1st 2018, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey so you didnt go back for it u did it all online? is tht even possible
Yes we did it all online. We contacted the estate agents for houses we liked the look of. We secured from NZ, my husband collected the keys when he arrived home.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

uaemanc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Its much appreciated. This is the last step for us needed before we submit so looking at all possibilites. Hope I can manage something. May I ask which estate agent you went through when you did it online... it may help us out if you dont mind of course. I doubt we will be so lucky but may be worth a try. Last option I guess woukd be to pay months rent upfront which will be risky but dont have a choice.
Old May 6th 2018, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems paying 6 months up front is the usual advise given in lieu of usual references.
Old May 6th 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Its much appreciated. This is the last step for us needed before we submit so looking at all possibilites. Hope I can manage something. May I ask which estate agent you went through when you did it online... it may help us out if you dont mind of course. I doubt we will be so lucky but may be worth a try. Last option I guess woukd be to pay months rent upfront which will be risky but dont have a choice.
When we were moving back in 2016 we used Rightmove.com to search for places to rent but each place had a different estate agent all of whom were local agents but quite large in the area. We had to agree to 6 months in advance but only had to put up a month’s deposit to secure the lease. On arriving in the country we met the agent to get the keys, sign the lease and pay the 6 months rent.