Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back to Uk with a dog

Going back to Uk with a dog

Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

mischief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back to Uk with a dog

Does anyone know of the costs involved in taking back our dog? Also some good shippers to use for our personal stuff.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:43 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Uk with a dog

Originally posted by mischief
Does anyone know of the costs involved in taking back our dog? Also some good shippers to use for our personal stuff.

We are taking our border collie back from Oz to the Uk and she is costing us $2800..not sure about anyone in NZ or shippers in NZ.

Linda Max is from NZ she may have some info....

where are you going back to in UK?

Welcome to the happy forum...

Pants
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome.

we cant go back till January. Thats when the dogs pet passport becomes valid. If we go before that he has to go into quarantine.

That price isnt too bad that you were quoted. Our dog is cross collie/retriever and it cost us £1700 to bring him out.

When are you off home?

We dont have a house or anything to sell just a car and a few bits and pieces. Going home to a rental then try and get back on property ladder. The only bonus is hubby is a gas eng and the company that he left are keeping his job open. So thats a bonus.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:13 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome.

we cant go back till January. Thats when the dogs pet passport becomes valid. If we go before that he has to go into quarantine.

That price isnt too bad that you were quoted. Our dog is cross collie/retriever and it cost us £1700 to bring him out.

When are you off home?

We dont have a house or anything to sell just a car and a few bits and pieces. Going home to a rental then try and get back on property ladder. The only bonus is hubby is a gas eng and the company that he left are keeping his job open. So thats a bonus.

Ok..yes thats what we did with our Molly the PET Scheme...we got her here and won't leave her as many people have suggested. What are people like !!!She will be ready to fly back August 22nd.

My daughter (21/2yrs old )and me are flying home on 18th August and hopefully hubby won't be far behind. Have a gorgeous house to sell, 2 cars and loans to pay off. We are looking at changing agents at mo as not happy with the present one. All stressful..!!!ekkkkkk

We are going home to a rental also with a view to buying later. I'm glad your hubby has a job open for him.

How long have you been in NZ? Can I ask why you are going home?

P
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pants
Ok..yes thats what we did with our Molly the PET Scheme...we got her here and won't leave her as many people have suggested. What are people like !!!She will be ready to fly back August 22nd.

My daughter (21/2yrs old )and me are flying home on 18th August and hopefully hubby won't be far behind. Have a gorgeous house to sell, 2 cars and loans to pay off. We are looking at changing agents at mo as not happy with the present one. All stressful..!!!ekkkkkk

We are going home to a rental also with a view to buying later. I'm glad your hubby has a job open for him.

How long have you been in NZ? Can I ask why you are going home?

P

We have only been here 4 months, but something inside of me knew right away that it didnt feel right. We came out with the view of this is for life bla bla bla, but NZ just dosent do it for us. The scenery is amazing but we find the country a financial nightmare. The cost of living is shocking and also the lack of choice. Sorry I am a consumer junkie and the good life dosent suit me LOL. The main regret I have is selling our home back in Scotland. Big mistake!!!

When you earn the kiwi doller your money dosent go very far. There are other factors but mainly it dosent do it for us.

Some folk would say give it longer, but nah, I think you no when it aint right.

Good luck to you and your family.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 4:32 am
Live the moment

Well I think you have to go with what you feel. At least you have tried it better than not knowing.

Shame about the house back in Scotland, we never had a place to sell but now we do and boy it's a pain. I am looking forward to getting home now. Both hubby and I feel very much in limbo..don't want to spend money as need to take back as much as possible but on the other hand we feel like we are just existing at present.

Good luck to you also....hope Linda or someone from NZ will be about sometime to advise on shippers etc.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:48 am
Linda Max

Default Re: Going back to Uk with a dog

Hi there, we have a golden retriever who is almost 7 years. Price so far,
vet bills for micro chip, rabies jab, flea, tick etc. etc. etc. about $900
if dog stays in kennels here $370 per month for 6 months, or dog sitter if you can get one.
Cost of air travel $1800.
The whole process takes a minimum of 7 months.
The pet passport scheme has taken the place of quarantine to some extent.
ie.
rabies jab,
1 month later blood test to make sure rabies jab has taken (20% don't)
6 months later another blood test, then certificate issued. Blood test around $400.

only then dog can travel
www.maf.govt. nz is a good web site.

We are seriously thinking of finding her a good home here.
I had Pickfords in on Monday and Crown on Tuesday no quotes yet, but will let you know.
We are going back to Scotland, Argyll area.
Hope this is a help
Linda

Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks Linda, that is a big help. Who was it that quoted you the $1800 to get her home. Mischief has had all of his jabs and microchip, next week he has his blood taken.

Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Thanks Linda, that is a big help. Who was it that quoted you the $1800 to get her home. Mischief has had all of his jabs and microchip, next week he has his blood taken.

Cheers
HiyaMischief!
sounds like your all getting preped up now! Did you get any advice on shipping goods? I haven't seen any replies here yet. If you do please can you mail them to me thanks.

We are waiting on a quote from a company in CHCH, but Colins dealing with it not me, so don't know who they are. If they give good qoute will pass it on to you.

Take care,

Moi!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:20 am
Linda Max

Cheers
sorry sorry sorry if I got your hopes up, have just checked my quote and it is $2800, this is from a local kennel which is very experienced. Ask any vet in your area and they will put you on to someone.
Did you bring Mischief over with you?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

yes, we brought Mischief over here with us. Cost us £1670 plus about £300 in lab work - still not a bad price of $2800.