Going back to the UK but still working for US Company

Wikiposts

Going back to the UK but still working for US Company

Old May 10th 2015, 3:04 am
Just Joined

markandrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back to the UK but still working for US Company

Hi all looking for some advice!
I am a UK resident with a US greencard currently living in US.
I have been working in the US for 10years.
I hope to sell my house in the US and return to UK and by a house
I hope to remain working for the US company while living in the UK travelling to US for 2 weeks every 3 month's
Will I pay tax in both UK and US while working for US company and living in the UK.
Is there anyone that has a similar situation?
Not sure whether it would be advisable to continue as an employer for the US company or to be self employed and work as a subcontractor.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by markandrose; May 10th 2015 at 3:05 am. Reason: miss-spelt
Old May 10th 2015, 3:32 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to the UK but still working for US Company

Have you become an American citizen? If so, you are liable for US taxes on your worldwide income forever, no matter where you live. Even if you are not a US citizen, you are bound to the US tax system for a while because you've been resident in the US.

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

There is a tax treaty between the US and the UK which will exclude a good portion of your income from US taxation. The amount changes nearly every year and at present is somewhere in the neighborhood of $93,000.00.

https://americansabroad.org/issues/t...ng-abroad-faq/

Switching from an actual US employee to a sub-contractor won't change your tax obligations. But it may have other advantages to you. You'll likely need expert advice to figure that out.

There are loads of expat voices in this community who'll likely come into this thread to tell you more.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandrose
I hope to remain working for the US company while living in the UK travelling to US for 2 weeks every 3 month's
Will I pay tax in both UK and US while working for US company and living in the UK.
Is there anyone that has a similar situation?
Not sure whether it would be advisable to continue as an employer for the US company or to be self employed and work as a subcontractor.

Thanks
Mark
Just a preliminary stab at a couple of your potential issues.

You say you currently have a green card. Have you considered becoming a US citizen before you leave and become a resident of the UK? Because as a US resident alien, you can only retain that status if you are resident in the US.

Tax. Whether your employer is a US company or a British (or other) company doesn't affect your tax obligation. Living and working in the UK, you'll primarilly be a British taxpayer. As rebeccajo points out, you'll also have US tax obligations (lifetime, if you become a US citizen.)
Old May 11th 2015, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just a preliminary stab at a couple of your potential issues.

You say you currently have a green card. Have you considered becoming a US citizen before you leave and become a resident of the UK? .....
Becoming a US citizen would certainly remove most of the awkward questions from the immigration officer when you return to the US for those two week visits (after your permanent residence status has expired) and/ or eliminate the need for a visa.
Old May 13th 2015, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that obtaining US citizenship is going to make your frequent trips back to the US much easier. Not just in terms of getting into the US but also in terms of the type of work you are allowed to do while there (business visitors are restricted to certain activities such as meetings, conferences, etc). Obtaining US citizenship also means you'll be liable to file a US tax return but you shouldn't be double-taxed as you can claim tax paid in the UK as a tax credit on your US tax return.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 13th 2015 at 5:21 am.
Old May 13th 2015, 12:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandrose
I'm dubious about you being a UK resident if you've lived and worked in the US for the past 10 years....do you mean UK citizen? It sounds as if you are a UK citizen, permanently resident in the US

I would sell the house before you leave for the UK to avoid any possibility of UK tax liability and simplify taxation.

If you stay working for the US company while living in and working in the UK you will have lots of problems. Your employment must conform to UK law when it comes to holidays, sick leave, parental leave etc. You will pay NI and not be liable for FICA....can your US company do that? What about retirement accounts. Basically unless the US company can employ you through a UK subsidiary its a non-starter.

No (assuming you are not a US citizen) as a UK resident working in the UK you are only liable for UK income tax, so working directly for a US company becomes problematic as no US income tax or FICA should be withheld.

Thanks
Mark
Self employment is usually simpler, but make sure you meet the criteria to be self-employed for HMRC.....