Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back to UK after retirement age

Going back to UK after retirement age

Old Dec 11th 2019, 8:41 am
Just Joined

JacquiRob is on a distinguished road
Default Going back to UK after retirement age

Has anyone gone back to The UK from NZ post retirement? Would like to know how easy it is to then claim UK pension and benefits. I am already of retirement age but hubby has three years to go so doubt he would be able to get employment. We are a little scared that we would not have enough money to live on. Gathering information from UK is proving difficult as we no longer hold a current UK passport. We both worked full time in the UK before leaving in November 2006. We are mortgage free and have a little savings from a private pension transferred to NZ.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 8:43 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to UK after retirement age

Originally Posted by JacquiRob View Post
Has anyone gone back to The UK from NZ post retirement? Would like to know how easy it is to then claim UK pension and benefits. I am already of retirement age but hubby has three years to go so doubt he would be able to get employment. We are a little scared that we would not have enough money to live on. Gathering information from UK is proving difficult as we no longer hold a current UK passport. We both worked full time in the UK before leaving in November 2006. We are mortgage free and have a little savings from a private pension transferred to NZ.
How many years full time work in the UK?

Old Dec 11th 2019, 8:48 am
Just Joined

16 prior to leaving, had part time jobs when my children were small and worked full time from leaving school in 1969 until my first child was born in 1975. My husband has worked full time in the UK since he left school in 1973 and apart from a big problem here in NZ where he was unemployed for a short period of time has worked full time here both employed and self employed.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you realise retirement age in the UK has increased depending on what year you were born?

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age
Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As per your other thread, you won't have problems claiming UK State pension if you have paid into the State system - and you say you have The only question is how much you will be eligible for. The full State pension is paid out after, I think, around 33 years, so if you have worked for less than this in the UK, then you will receive less pension.

You have already been given a link to find out how much your pension might be. Not having a current passport does not stop you finding this out.

With regards to benefits, again, no problems, but you will have to apply and be assessed.

Here is a website about State Pensions:

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get

Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I am unable to use the link as without a current passport it asks for a uk address for credit check which I obviously don’t have. There is no other way to use that service. I have tried several times butif someone knows of another way then please let me know.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:57 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am unable to use the link as without a current passport it asks for a uk address for credit check which I obviously don’t have. There is no other way to use that service. I have tried several times butif someone knows of another way then please let me know.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sion-statement

This link is available without any registration etc. It allows you to fill in a form and post it to them

I would also suggest renewing your passports, its very quick these days.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

If she claimed child benefit during the period she didn't work 1975 -1990, her pension will have been protected. On the information she has given, it looks like she would be able to get a full pension unless she was paying the married woman's stamp which I think you could still do in 1969.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, JacquiRob, that if you're interested in reading more about the issues, especially the emotional/psychological ones, of moving back to the UK later in life, have a look at the thread listed on the Moving Back to the UK page, Over 40s Moving Back and Catching Up...

Obviously you won't be reading all of its zillions of pages! but if you dip in, you'll find many interesting discussions about the particular anxieties of older returners. Questions like, "is it too late?" "Will I still fit in?" "Can I feel at home there after so many years away?" etc.

This thread was such a supportive and helpful place for me when I was trying to plan a return, and has been for many others too. Maybe it can be again!
Old Dec 16th 2019, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Dallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really niceDallwright is just really nice

You may want to call the pension office to see if they will send you a pension forecast. I did this prior to having a UK passport. All they require is your NI Number. The number I show for them is 0800 731 7898. It can take a couple of weeks to get your pension statement. You may also consider paying some prior years voluntary contributions to build up your pension. The nice thing about this is that you generally pay the contributions at the prior year contribution rate. Again please check but I believe you may be eligible to pay for the prior 6 years with voluntary contributions.