Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

going back..shannon imm experiences

going back..shannon imm experiences

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going back..shannon imm experiences

Originally Posted by andy1
So , do you think ill get back in Rene ? how do they know when i left ? i know all about flight manifests etc..but from previous experiences thts the ONLY possible record they have..isnt it ?
They know.

Even worse mess to lie about it.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

I wont lie , just see what happens i guess , what a nightmare..i blame the government !!!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:37 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

You blame the government? Why? Getting the reentry permit was your obligation if you felt you would want to return to the US.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I wonder if the entitlement to a hearing applies to PFI stations?

Interesting issue.

Consult with an attorney. BTW, sad to say, most immigration attorneys are not up on the law of abandonment.

In consultation, you want to find out if the attorney has ever tried at least one abandonment case. [Not an iron clad test -- but a good indication]. Also ask about familiarity with "Kane" and "Huang."

BTW, don't blame the government -- you are the one who has stayed out of the US. You may have had damn good reasons, but your attitude may very well get you in trouble. [I want to make clear that this is not meant as criticism -- but you really don't want to irritate government officials. One particularly aggressive immigration attorney I know, who would give Nancy Grace a run for her money, often lectures on the need to "grovel."]

Good luck.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 22nd 2011 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

I understand your comments..but what is one supposed to do ? let there kids starve ? sit on there arse and do **** all about it ? at least i had an option , which i took.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your comments..but what is one supposed to do ? let there kids starve ? sit on there arse and do **** all about it ? at least i had an option , which i took.
Andy -- please remove the chip from your shoulder. Or, at least hide it away. You have got a big potential problem. It might work out just fine or it could blow up in your face big time.

You came here asking a question. That is good -- but don't alienate the people trying to help you.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't have taken very long to apply for the re-entry permit and get the biometrics done for that. Maybe a month or two at most. The re-entry permit would have helped you stay outside the USA for up to 2 years without as many problems or questions involved as you'll probably have now.

They might say something, they might say nothing, you won't know until you get to the POE. You will be let in because you have a green card, but as JEff says, you might end up with an appointment before an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination whether you've abandoned your PR status or not.

I agree with all the others, have a consultation with an attorney experienced in PR abandonment.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:03 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you took a good option to support your family. As for "what is one supposed to do" - one is supposed to apply for a re-entry permit prior to leaving the US if one thinks one will be out of the country for more than 6 months and is likely to want to return there to live.

I forget how long the reentry permit is good for - either one year or two. (ETA - I see from Rene's post that it's two.) So it's not a hugely long-term solution to an absence, but it can help in some situations such as yours.

Also ETA, please try not to let your temper flare up like this at the point of entry or with the immigration judge.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What one is supposed to do is get a re-entry permit.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It wouldn't have taken very long to apply for the re-entry permit and get the biometrics done for that. Maybe a month or two at most. The re-entry permit would have helped you stay outside the USA for up to 2 years without as many problems or questions involved as you'll probably have now.

They might say something, they might say nothing, you won't know until you get to the POE. You will be let in because you have a green card, but as JEff says, you might end up with an appointment before an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination whether you've abandoned your PR status or not.

Rene
Rene: Shannon has "PFI" -- and PFI is a strange beastie, to say the least. I'm not all that sure it is a "POE."
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MrF's comment about pre-clearance stations has me wondering ...

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You will be let in because you have a green card, but as JEff says, you might end up with an appointment before an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination whether you've abandoned your PR status or not.
[EDIT: Love the rapidity with which the last half dozen or so posts have come!]
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

And what if one is skint? has no money ? and has to beg steal and borrow ? as for the re-entry permit..it can take up to 6 mths..because the powers that be are basically swamped with applications , are totally inept at there job , and basically couldnt give a dam..this is from someone who was denied 3 times for AOS , and had to be told by an ENGLISHMAN at the U.S. Embassy in London that ..should never have been denied ! GO IMM
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

fOLINSKY ..WHATS pfi ?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:15 pm

fOLINSKY ..WHATS pfi ?
Pre-Flight Inspection.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Commentator

fOLINSKY ..WHATS pfi ?
Pre-Flight Inspection.

To Andy: Again, even if valid, don't make excuses. What is, is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.