Reload this Page >

Going Back Home for a Visit but nervous

Wikiposts

Going Back Home for a Visit but nervous

Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going Back Home for a Visit but nervous

Re the comment about 'taxed out of existance,' I don't agree, in fact I've worked out that both myself & DH will be about £14 a month better off in our April salaries. Of course, we aren't high earners so those who are may end up worse off than they would in the US.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Re the comment about 'taxed out of existance,' I don't agree, in fact I've worked out that both myself & DH will be about £14 a month better off in our April salaries. Of course, we aren't high earners so those who are may end up worse off than they would in the US.
I didn't just mean the salary taxes. There's VAT on almost everything, tax on petrol/gas, fees for this, that and the other. I know there are taxes and fees on things here as well but it doesen't seem to be as many or as much, but there is the dreaded healthcare insurance here which takes quite a chunk of change.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joto
I didn't just mean the salary taxes. There's VAT on almost everything, tax on petrol/gas, fees for this, that and the other. I know there are taxes and fees on things here as well but it doesen't seem to be as many or as much, but there is the dreaded healthcare insurance here which takes quite a chunk of change.
I'm told by my in-laws that property taxes are enormous in some parts of the US (they live near Boston). Some places it is in the tens of thousands rather than single thousands like the UK.

I guess though at the end of the day it is just impossible to do a direct comparison because there are so many variables.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Some places have high property taxes and no sales tax, others lump it mostly onto income tax. I think those are the biggies.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Council Tax in the UK is a local tax charged to all domestic residents living in each defined Local Authority area and is supported by Central Government grants - it is used to provide all the usual services such as refuse and waste collection, Police and Emergency Services among others.

For the first time ever since this new system replaced the highly controversal, much reviled Community Charge (levied on individuals separately resident in each property rather than the properties solely and widely and scathingly referred to as the Poll Tax) the new tax year which commenced on 01/04/11 and terminating on 31/03/12 has seen the Council Tax frozen - no change from the previous year in the amount to be charged by ten monthly instalments per household.

The amount charged on each property depends on which Property Band it falls into - ie the larger and more expensive the home the higher value rating is the Property Band - from A (lowest) to H (highest), with corresponding increase in the total amount of Tax levied.

The freezing of the Council Tax for this year is in clear contrast to the relentless rise in prices across the board here in the UK - everything from the cost of a wholemeal loaf to dog grooming and just about everything else.

At the same time National Insurance Contributions we salary and wage earners have deducted from our pay has been increased from 04 April and many social welfare benefits have been reduced, and employers can no longer force people to retire at 65 which is now illegal.

A new age of "Austerity" is now unavoidable if th UK is to avoid the fate of Portugal (the UK looks lilkely to be forced by EU rulings to contribute £15billions of UK taxpayers' money to bale out that country from the deep $hit it has landed itself in) - and to avoid the similar mess Ireland, Spain and Greece have been floundering in.

But we are British after all and history shows that we always manage to come up trumps in the end by muddling through aided by good luck and a favourable wind more than by anything else!

Seriously - we do get it right sooner or later....

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...atiscounciltax
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
We tacked on a side trip to Barcelona and Madrid.
Those are always handy.... We tacked on a trip to France last time and as we are passing through the UK this summer, we're on to Greece.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:16 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

have been back several times (on business) in the three years that we've been here in the US and apart from seeing the family and a live football match I couldn't wait to get back on the plane!

Even the US immigration officers now say 'welcome home'
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:08 am
Banned

millicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
You have to bear in mind that basically the UK is a sh1thole. We now have the kids of thatchers single mum brigade having their own scum. The general decent populous are expected to let these scrotes run wild lest we offend their human rights. I hate the place and doubt that you will find yourself wishing you were here permanantly.
We moved back to the UK from Canada and hand on heart have done the right thing for all our family. I could not ever think of leaving them all again, it was like a bereavement.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:10 am
Banned

millicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nice

Originally Posted by joto
It's swings and roundabouts, what you pay too much for on one thing you save on others. There's a balance in life. I have to say that the NHS is way better than any other country's system.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm really looking forward to seeing family and friends, but this will be our vacation this year so we are determined it won't be spent sat on peoples sofas drinking tea. We've told people we want to go out, so to plan for day trips out, but now its come to it other than 2-3 places, I can't think of anywhere I want to go
Another option is to pick a night and a pub or restaurant and tell people you are having a get together there. Do it all at once and make a night of it.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:50 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Another option is to pick a night and a pub or restaurant and tell people you are having a get together there. Do it all at once and make a night of it.
Friends and nights are ok. It's family that's awkward. Having not seen hubby's Mum since we left 4 years ago, we can't really only see her once in that 2 weeks, but they never do anything. My Dad is recovering from his hip op and MRSA scare, so he can't go far either. So that's at least 4 days of sitting around doing nothing just seeing them.