Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back home and can't wait

Going back home and can't wait

Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back home and can't wait

Originally Posted by travelbug
oh, and the OH's sister threw a little strop one evening when we said we were "undecided" on where to live - and went into an almighty rant about how she would "never" bring her kids up somewhere like the UK!
seeing as i'm not an aussie yet i found that quite insulting - seeing as our two kids have a very good life here at the moment - it's just when they're older that we worry! But i would never actually criticise to someone's face where they choose to live - each to their own as far as i'm concerned...
I wouldnt worry about your kids when they get older if you are still in UK. One of mine went back for his gap year post uni 5+ years ago and hasnt come back yet. He found himself a nice job in UK and (thanks to dual citizenship) is now following a much more exciting career path there than he would have done had he stayed paddling in this tiny little pond!

Good luck to all of you going home! I wish I were in your shoes - Oh to be able to walk on GREEN grass and feel the earth give beneath your feet. At least you can rug up against the cold but living in this bloody heat is draining! My DH refuses to get aircon too (he's a mad greenie) - I am adding it to the list of grievances for the divorce proceedings (just joking)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:55 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I wouldnt worry about your kids when they get older if you are still in UK. One of mine went back for his gap year post uni 5+ years ago and hasnt come back yet. He found himself a nice job in UK and (thanks to dual citizenship) is now following a much more exciting career path there than he would have done had he stayed paddling in this tiny little pond!

Good luck to all of you going home! I wish I were in your shoes - Oh to be able to walk on GREEN grass and feel the earth give beneath your feet. At least you can rug up against the cold but living in this bloody heat is draining! My DH refuses to get aircon too (he's a mad greenie) - I am adding it to the list of grievances for the divorce proceedings (just joking)

Hve you tried using a fan and tying a stocking full of ice in front of it and putting it on full blast
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:29 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
No, we were going to go for Xmas, but took Alannah back to UK instead, so no cash left.
Def going soon though, because once we are back in UK we won't be heading this way again.

Oh yeah...forgot. Mmmmmm....the Gold Coast....bit like Benidorm IMO. You'll have a laugh though I'm sure.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Hve you tried using a fan and tying a stocking full of ice in front of it and putting it on full blast
We compromised with a mobile evaporative cooler and though it sort of does the job it doesnt compare to real aircon!!!! Did the wet towel and fan trick for many years!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Now this I just don't get. What else is there to do back home in the 'suburbs' on an afternoon/evening with young children? Maybe your relatives didn't take you out and about much. I am not one of the 'I love' Perthites, but I fail to see what else you would do if you lived anywhere.
WE use to trip out and see North Wales or go to Southport...ust hadplenty of options and you know really besides...Mandurah, Rockingham...Buss etc...we do you trip out?...these places never change infact Bunbury's main street looked even more derelict last year than the year before!!!! we have even gone to York a few times...but that again is a one street wonder...once you have been to the places a few times it does get boring.....no other way around it....it's not so bad if like some of our friends they go to these places only a couple of times a year and are just content to sit back in their gardens or homes but it you like to travel "around and about" Perth is very limited.......
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:02 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
WE use to trip out and see North Wales or go to Southport...ust hadplenty of options and you know really besides...Mandurah, Rockingham...Buss etc...we do you trip out?...these places never change infact Bunbury's main street looked even more derelict last year than the year before!!!! we have even gone to York a few times...but that again is a one street wonder...once you have been to the places a few times it does get boring.....no other way around it....it's not so bad if like some of our friends they go to these places only a couple of times a year and are just content to sit back in their gardens or homes but it you like to travel "around and about" Perth is very limited.......
That wasn't my point though. Travelbug said, [QUOTE]We did spend quite a few evenings/afternoons wandering round Hillary's - but again like you - it was because we couldnt find anything else to do in the area![QUOTE]
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We were told to visit York. So off we went. took 2 hours to get there. Parked up and went for a drink and some food. "oh, we're not serving food today' they said...
Wondered down the only street, most shops shut...got to IGA, bought some nuts and crisps.
Got back in the car and came home.

Great day out .........................NOT!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;5836003]That wasn't my point though. Travelbug said, [QUOTE]We did spend quite a few evenings/afternoons wandering round Hillary's - but again like you - it was because we couldnt find anything else to do in the area!
many apolgies....it's the heat...god it's hot South of the River!!!!!! off for another shower.....bloddy hell should of put the a pool in me and my big mouth....!!! thats another story.....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

We were told to visit York. So off we went. took 2 hours to get there. Parked up and went for a drink and some food. "oh, we're not serving food today' they said...
Wondered down the only street, most shops shut...got to IGA, bought some nuts and crisps.

Great day out .........................NOT!!!
yes and for our sins we went for another visit...a year later....no difference....one street and not much else...Resturaunt was closed (we were in between meal times!!!) trotted off to the little shop on the end of the block...is it an IGA was to hot and bothered to find out...bought drinks...(they cost a small fortune) and some sweets....not healthy...but the price they charged I felt I was shopping at Selfridges!!!!
Not quite the same as York in Yorkshire.......
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:36 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=brits1;5836664][QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;5836003]That wasn't my point though. Travelbug said,
We did spend quite a few evenings/afternoons wandering round Hillary's - but again like you - it was because we couldnt find anything else to do in the area!
many apolgies....it's the heat...god it's hot South of the River!!!!!! off for another shower.....bloddy hell should of put the a pool in me and my big mouth....!!! thats another story.....
It's hot up here too, about 37ºC's I think. We have a pool but never use it now. The first and last time it was used this summer was on Xmas day when we had friends round. I wouldn't go in it in this heat anyway, I always used to wait until the evenings. I'm getting sick of this heat now as it seems you are. What a life eh?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;5836688][QUOTE=brits1;5836664]
That wasn't my point though. Travelbug said, It's hot up here too, about 37ºC's I think. We have a pool but never use it now. The first and last time it was used this summer was on Xmas day when we had friends round. I wouldn't go in it in this heat anyway, I always used to wait until the evenings. I'm getting sick of this heat now as it seems you are. What a life eh?
Thats the same reasons we did not put one in (pool) in this home..our boys were using less and less and only when we use to get in with them....great if your children are younger but then you have to stay outside and watch them.....
oh and pools are great for visitors.....but ours are all older now (visitors) so again it's the same thing!!!!
The sea breeze has not blown inland yet....I could fry an egg on the table in the alfrescoe area and that is always in the shade!!!! help!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:05 pm
'In limboland'

Thats the same reasons we did not put one in (pool) in this home..our boys were using less and less and only when we use to get in with them....great if your children are younger but then you have to stay outside and watch them.....
oh and pools are great for visitors.....but ours are all older now (visitors) so again it's the same thing!!!!
The sea breeze has not blown inland yet....I could fry an egg on the table in the alfrescoe area and that is always in the shade!!!! help!!!
Have you read the way you quoted me? Heat has defo got to you.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

.got to IGA, bought some nuts and crisps.
Shouldn't .. but lol anyway ....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you read the way you quoted me? Heat has defo got to you.
Heat....your right...well its not the drink..I hate drinking on my own...hurry up home husband........