Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back home and can't wait

Going back home and can't wait

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going back home and can't wait

Originally Posted by ree76
stop rubbing it in, you know we've got another 8 weeks on our own when you've gone. never mind might have to go to hillarys again every weekend...... oh sorry we do that already cause there's nothing else to do
Just have to comment on this....it made me laugh - because you've just said what i said to my partner if we lived in Perth! We visited in November as we are undecided where to move to - and i also found Perth to be very boring! (i know the ones that love the place would disagree). We stayed with the OH's relatives (sister etc) whilst there and she's very pro-Perth - having lived there for 17years.... We did spend quite a few evenings/afternoons wandering round Hillary's - but again like you - it was because we couldnt find anything else to do in the area! We also went to Tasmania - and whilst deemed "quiet and boring" by many - we actually found it more interesting and with more to do! So we're going to give there a try! I did say to my OH though that if i lived in Perth i would be home within 6months so i know where you lot are coming from!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by travelbug
Just have to comment on this....it made me laugh - because you've just said what i said to my partner if we lived in Perth! We visited in November as we are undecided where to move to - and i also found Perth to be very boring! (i know the ones that love the place would disagree). We stayed with the OH's relatives (sister etc) whilst there and she's very pro-Perth - having lived there for 17years.... We did spend quite a few evenings/afternoons wandering round Hillary's - but again like you - it was because we couldnt find anything else to do in the area! We also went to Tasmania - and whilst deemed "quiet and boring" by many - we actually found it more interesting and with more to do! So we're going to give there a try! I did say to my OH though that if i lived in Perth i would be home within 6months so i know where you lot are coming from!
oh, and the OH's sister threw a little strop one evening when we said we were "undecided" on where to live - and went into an almighty rant about how she would "never" bring her kids up somewhere like the UK!
seeing as i'm not an aussie yet i found that quite insulting - seeing as our two kids have a very good life here at the moment - it's just when they're older that we worry! But i would never actually criticise to someone's face where they choose to live - each to their own as far as i'm concerned...

Last edited by travelbug; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:51 pm. Reason: spelling mistake!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in Tasmania.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Now this I just don't get. What else is there to do back home in the 'suburbs' on an afternoon/evening with young children? Maybe your relatives didn't take you out and about much. I am not one of the 'I love' Perthites, but I fail to see what else you would do if you lived anywhere.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 23rd 2008 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Now this I just don't get. What else is there to do back home in the 'suburbs' on an afternoon/evening with young children? Maybe your relatives take you out and about much. I am not one of the 'I love' Perthites, but I fail to see what else you would do if you lived anywhere.
I often wonder this too G. Most people I knew in England worked and the weekends were spent doing the same crap we all do. Laundry, housework etc. I think people think they are coming on holiday even when they come and live here and don't expect to do the 'real' things.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I often wonder this too G. Most people I knew in England worked and the weekends were spent doing the same crap we all do. Laundry, housework etc. I think people think they are coming on holiday even when they come and live here and don't expect to do the 'real' things.
Yeah but there's always the option of going for a nice walk somewhere locally (when the weather's o.k) unlike here 'cos it's too hot, flies are horrible, living in a mass housing estate makes walking round it rather boring.. yadda yadda....
Back in the UK last year we went out walking up the cliffs at Exmouth every night with the dog. Gorgeous.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Yeah but there's always the option of going for a nice walk somewhere locally (when the weather's o.k) unlike here 'cos it's too hot, flies are horrible, living in a mass housing estate makes walking round it rather boring.. yadda yadda....
Back in the UK last year we went out walking up the cliffs at Exmouth every night with the dog. Gorgeous.
When are you going back to UK Tracey?

I'm booking a weeks hol in Gold Coast. Just got a quote for under 5 grand for 4 of us. What do you think? inc hotel, park passes and car.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Not everyone lives so close to lovely countryside they can do that without a long drive, I know I couldn't when I was in the UK. I see your point about the heat though.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
Not everyone lives so close to lovely countryside they can do that without a long drive, I know I couldn't when I was in the UK. I see your point about the heat though.
I felt really guilty this morning, sent my youngest to the shop for a loaf of bread. One hour later he came back, red as a tomato, gasping...didn't realise how hot it was outside. Abit bad really when your kids can't manage to go to shop because of the heat.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I felt really guilty this morning, sent my youngest to the shop for a loaf of bread. One hour later he came back, red as a tomato, gasping...didn't realise how hot it was outside. Abit bad really when your kids can't manage to go to shop because of the heat.
Mine don't go out either in this heat.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:36 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

But the really hot weather only lasts about 3/4 months, with intermittent cooler days. I understand walking around a suburb isn't enjoyable, but the majority back home don't have the luxury of fields and country walks straight at their door. We did, because where we lived was down a lane and we were surrounded by Trust land, we were lucky. This was my home, where I left my heart and soul to be honest.....first house as you come down the lane on the right.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

emmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the rough

wierd isnt it, the whole emotional rollercoaster ride.

we have been here 5 months and it's very hard to stay positive and put things into perspective. The first 6 weeks i cried daily from the culture shock and now i think of home daily but hope i am not seeing my memories through rose tinted glasses. ( if that makes sense??) I have been feeling homesick one day then on top of the world the next. Today got a phonecall to say my nans in hospital , and the first thing i thought was "good - i can go home now" Isnt that awful?

My biggest fear now would be to go home then regret it and want to come back. It's a story you often hear. My new moto is "the grass isnt greenier but the skies are bluer."

ps: i wish i had the time to compare food prices............
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
When are you going back to UK Tracey?

I'm booking a weeks hol in Gold Coast. Just got a quote for under 5 grand for 4 of us. What do you think? inc hotel, park passes and car.

I'm flying back on the 9th Feb...can't wait!

$5k seems pretty good but I thought you went there last year????
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emmajjpaul
wierd isnt it, the whole emotional rollercoaster ride.

we have been here 5 months and it's very hard to stay positive and put things into perspective. The first 6 weeks i cried daily from the culture shock and now i think of home daily but hope i am not seeing my memories through rose tinted glasses. ( if that makes sense??) I have been feeling homesick one day then on top of the world the next. Today got a phonecall to say my nans in hospital , and the first thing i thought was "good - i can go home now" Isnt that awful?

My biggest fear now would be to go home then regret it and want to come back. It's a story you often hear. My new moto is "the grass isnt greenier but the skies are bluer."

ps: i wish i had the time to compare food prices............
My attitude is I have came and tried and it just wasn't for me so I am going back home but at least I tried better that than always wondering what if?

Sorry to hear about your nan hope she gets better.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

I'm flying back on the 9th Feb...can't wait!

$5k seems pretty good but I thought you went there last year????
No, we were going to go for Xmas, but took Alannah back to UK instead, so no cash left.
Def going soon though, because once we are back in UK we won't be heading this way again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.