Going back to Canada

Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:31 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Canada

Originally Posted by mariabc
Was it always your plan to return here to Canada when you'd had your fill of 'home' ?
No, but we always said we might return. And our sons are Canadians, still living there. Not much family in the UK -- not that we know well, anyway.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:45 am
Just Joined

europlatus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bevm,

I'm a Brit currently living in Fairfield, Victoria, and my Canadian wife has just received her UK spouse visa. So we're doing the opposite move to you. Interesting to hear your experiences and desires. Of course, I think you just have to go with your heart and family is a huge reason for where feels like home. All my family is still in the UK so that's where we're going for the medium to long term.

We're currently a block away from Moss Street market and I'm afraid to say that it's a bit of a foodie mecca, but this neighbourhood is still fantastic. We'll be very sorry to leave it. Spring comes early, summers are long and sunny, and the beach is never far away. Victoria itself is a lovely city as you know and in many ways it really is a wonderful place to live. But after 12 years, it still doesn't feel like home for me. i really miss the history of England and being so close to Europe. We feel very isolated out here and it takes many hours on a plane to go anywhere with any kind of a different culture. But then I'm English still at heart and I don't think it's any surprise that you miss the place you spent most of your life. The interesting test will be in a few years when my Canadian wife really misses here. We certainly don't want to ping pong constantly!

Best of luck with your move back. We will always speak very fondly of Victoria and will miss it a great deal. If you have any questions about it, let me know, but it sounds like you are already very familiar with it.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
You just described Ottawa!!
I wish Bev the very best of luck on her return to Canada, reading her description of life there is sounds just what they need/want at their time of life (sounds nice for me now lol) I have to say though I have never come across the feeling of being classed on your choice of food and we have friends from all walks of life, no matter where we have lived and we are a very sporty family and enjoy football but we also love cycling, swimming and Rugby not to mention cricket, our friends are the same, I would say you follow all your interests and if you let something dominate your life then it will do just that. Once again all the best on your return to Canada and spending time with your Grandchild.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:11 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by europlatus
We're currently a block away from Moss Street market and I'm afraid to say that it's a bit of a foodie mecca, but this neighbourhood is still fantastic. We'll be very sorry to leave it. Spring comes early, summers are long and sunny, and the beach is never far away. Victoria itself is a lovely city as you know and in many ways it really is a wonderful place to live. But after 12 years, it still doesn't feel like home for me. i really miss the history of England and being so close to Europe. We feel very isolated out here and it takes many hours on a plane to go anywhere with any kind of a different culture. But then I'm English still at heart and I don't think it's any surprise that you miss the place you spent most of your life. The interesting test will be in a few years when my Canadian wife really misses here.
Yes, I know that area and the Moss Street Market. When I mentioned foodie I wasn't just meaning locally -- I love being able to get great veg and bread at a market -- but nationally and the media.

But yes, we came back to the UK for history and ease of getting around. We've basically decided we've done most of the history and travel we want, and we're ready to putter quietly by the sea. Having our family in Canada and little family here is a factor. I hope your wife loves it here. Where are you planning to settle?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:43 am
Just Joined

JaneAndKen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! Its funny but over the last 30 years I have had this inner battle, do I go back, do I stay in Canada. Then because I went home for one year to take care of my failing mother I met "the right man" and the decision was made. Life is like that. The 30 years I spent in this beautiful rural town in Quebec has been wonderful and now I am really ready for home and family. The timing is right. Good luck to your return. Can I ask you what you are doing about the Tax implication. There seems so much to read and organize paper-wise. Jane
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bevm
Yes, I know that area and the Moss Street Market. When I mentioned foodie I wasn't just meaning locally -- I love being able to get great veg and bread at a market -- but nationally and the media.

But yes, we came back to the UK for history and ease of getting around. We've basically decided we've done most of the history and travel we want, and we're ready to putter quietly by the sea. Having our family in Canada and little family here is a factor. I hope your wife loves it here. Where are you planning to settle?
Well it sounds like you've reached a time in your life when Victoria will suit you perfectly. There's also still quite a lot of British influence here if you ever crave it. Lots of ex-pats here.

Foodie culture has definitely crept into the media here too, but maybe not to the same extent. Anyway, you can always avoid it! The island is just really laid back in general and trends here are rarely if ever stifling. One thing I found though is that buying local and organic is pretty expensive here. According to my family in England, it's way more affordable over there. And good luck with house prices, they've gone crazy here. But that's what you expect for living in Canada's best climate and being so close to ocean and mountains.

As for our move, we'll be moving to Shropshire, probably Shrewsbury. It's close to family and it's a similar size to Victoria. We're quite familiar with the area and it seems to have kept a lot of that traditional English charm. I certainly want to avoid big cities. I'm too old for that now.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:36 pm
Just hanging around

And good luck with house prices, they've gone crazy here.

We noticed!

As for our move, we'll be moving to Shropshire, probably Shrewsbury. It's close to family and it's a similar size to Victoria. We're quite familiar with the area and it seems to have kept a lot of that traditional English charm. I certainly want to avoid big cities. I'm too old for that now.

Shrewsbury is a nice town. I gather there's a lot of debate these days about how to pronounce it. "Shrowsbury" is considered pretentious, I hear. A good size and close to larger places if wanted. I've always liked Shropshire, but we have no connections there.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I suppose that comes from the anniversaries of WWI (ongoing) and Waterloo and Magna Carta in '15. I don't mind it as I like history. Watching the London Olympics was great, too. I don't know whether Canada has caught up, but being able to switch screens and watch some of the minor sports was lovely. I was recovering from an op at the time, so watched a lot of it. The NHS has been brilliant for us, but then the Canadian system was always good when we needed it.

For us, deciding to move back has been difficult because it's 50/50, but also peaches and potatoes. Complete differences in the plusses and minuses, and one person's plus is another's minus! We'd never return to anywhere in Canada east of the Rockies because of the winters. We did those winters for many years, and never again. We live in Devon for a reason.

We'll miss the history in England, and the variety as well as the European travel, but we've been doing less and less of both. I think we overindulged to begin with. Driving in most of England is no fun at all, but we used to zip up and down the motorways pretty regularly. Now the car stays in the drive. Canada is so different in that respect. We drove across the country twice, and in most places the Trans Canada hwy is empty. In Victoria outside of rush hour it's pretty tranquil.

We didn't have a home town to return to. We see quite a bit of old friends, but they're scattered around. Not many family left, and again, scattered. We still have a lot of close friends in Victoria, all nearby.

I'll miss BBC TV, though the big programmes will make their way over eventually.

As I said, I think we're just getting old and want a quiet life.

Good luck with your return to Canada.I know what you mean about a slower pace of life. When I do get home for holidays I really have to brave myself when I get into all that traffic. Living in sleepy Adelaide is such a contrast.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Good luck with your return to Canada.I know what you mean about a slower pace of life. When I do get home for holidays I really have to brave myself when I get into all that traffic. Living in sleepy Adelaide is such a contrast.
Yes, I think English people just accept it as the way things are, and the crush has crept up on them over decades, so they haven't really noticed. But it is a difference to many places in "the colonies." So people thinking of moving back have to be aware of that.

It varies tremendously by place, of course. Huge parts of Canada are uninhabited and uninhabitable, but parts between Toronto and Montreal are much more tightly packed. But the pop density overall is 4 per sq mile,

The density for England is about 500 per sq mile, and I'd guess that a lot of that is in the south and around major cities. It always surprises and pleases me how much open land has been preserved.

The countryside is also accessible here, with the system of public footpaths. In Canada, a lot of the open spaces are wilderness and even where the weather is pleasant there are few paths outside of the more used parts of national and provincial parks. Agricultural land is usually private. I know people who walk and exercise along roads in rural areas because there's nowhere else they can go.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I think English people just accept it as the way things are, and the crush has crept up on them over decades, so they haven't really noticed. But it is a difference to many places in "the colonies." So people thinking of moving back have to be aware of that.

It varies tremendously by place, of course. Huge parts of Canada are uninhabited and uninhabitable, but parts between Toronto and Montreal are much more tightly packed. But the pop density overall is 4 per sq mile,

The density for England is about 500 per sq mile, and I'd guess that a lot of that is in the south and around major cities. It always surprises and pleases me how much open land has been preserved.

The countryside is also accessible here, with the system of public footpaths. In Canada, a lot of the open spaces are wilderness and even where the weather is pleasant there are few paths outside of the more used parts of national and provincial parks. Agricultural land is usually private. I know people who walk and exercise along roads in rural areas because there's nowhere else they can go.

Have got to say it sounds very much like Australia...an awful lot of the land it private property. Have to say though we have some beautiful beaches to walk along, don't go swimming much, to many sharks in Oz waters for me..as Billy Connelly once said I don't want to become part of the food chain. Lol
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

It always surprises and pleases me how much open land has been preserved.

This is very true. There is so much more space here in Canada, but a lot of it is simply inaccessible. It's much harder to just go for "a walk in the countryside" here and if you do get out into the forests and mountains, you have to be prepared for all the dangers it brings. That said, the scenery is spectacular and there is a lot more unspoilt, virgin land here.

When I go back to England, I too am always pleasantly surprised how easy it is to feel like you are not living on a cramped island. It is of course cramped, but there is still lots of countryside and rural areas where population density doesn't feel like a problem at all. You just have to move away from the urban areas to find these places. I've also learned to appreciate the rolling hills and how easy it is to get panoramic views. The tall redwood forests of BC are well preserved and majestic, but you can walk for days in them and never get a view because it's basically just wilderness. It sounds strange to say, but the deforestation that has happened in the UK over hundreds of years has not all been negative, certainly from the point of view of ramblers at least!
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:18 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The UK population is actually very concentrated in the cities. For the UK as a whole it is 413 per square kilometre, but in the rural area I'm living in, in Devon, it is just 66 and in Southwark, where I used to live it is 14,517.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

This is very true. There is so much more space here in Canada, but a lot of it is simply inaccessible. It's much harder to just go for "a walk in the countryside" here and if you do get out into the forests and mountains, you have to be prepared for all the dangers it brings. That said, the scenery is spectacular and there is a lot more unspoilt, virgin land here.

When I go back to England, I too am always pleasantly surprised how easy it is to feel like you are not living on a cramped island. It is of course cramped, but there is still lots of countryside and rural areas where population density doesn't feel like a problem at all. You just have to move away from the urban areas to find these places. I've also learned to appreciate the rolling hills and how easy it is to get panoramic views. The tall redwood forests of BC are well preserved and majestic, but you can walk for days in them and never get a view because it's basically just wilderness. It sounds strange to say, but the deforestation that has happened in the UK over hundreds of years has not all been negative, certainly from the point of view of ramblers at least!
You hit the nail on the head with this post! So much of Canada is inaccessible and I really miss the freedom to roam and have a view - Scottish right to roam laws are very different from England, giving walkers the right to walk anywhere, as long as they don't cause damage or disruption to wildlife or livestock. Here, if you are lucky enough to find a path, you have to be wary of bears and the mosquitoes drive you crazy within 5 minutes. I have tried to describe to my Canadian husband what mountaineering in Scotland is like, walking for days and perhaps only seeing 1 or 2 other people.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:25 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by TrishP
You hit the nail on the head with this post! So much of Canada is inaccessible and I really miss the freedom to roam and have a view - Scottish right to roam laws are very different from England, giving walkers the right to walk anywhere, as long as they don't cause damage or disruption to wildlife or livestock. Here, if you are lucky enough to find a path, you have to be wary of bears and the mosquitoes drive you crazy within 5 minutes. I have tried to describe to my Canadian husband what mountaineering in Scotland is like, walking for days and perhaps only seeing 1 or 2 other people.
Fortunately, or maybe not, we've never been keen on exploring wild places, especially mountainous ones. We do like beaches, preferably without many people around, and they are more common in Canada. Mostly on the coasts, of course, but one does come across lakes with small beaches and hardly anyone around.

Don't you find the wilder places in Canada pretty deserted -- apart from the mosquitos and black fly? I suppose not in the major parks close to cities.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Fortunately, or maybe not, we've never been keen on exploring wild places, especially mountainous ones. We do like beaches, preferably without many people around, and they are more common in Canada. Mostly on the coasts, of course, but one does come across lakes with small beaches and hardly anyone around.

Don't you find the wilder places in Canada pretty deserted -- apart from the mosquitos and black fly? I suppose not in the major parks close to cities.
There are lots of deserted beaches here in BC, but for me they suffer the same problem as English beaches in that they are too cold! Even on a hot day (just a few weeks a year), the water is way too cold to swim. The beaches in Victoria are very busy on hot days but their proximity is great. The drive along Dallas Road is something I'll never get tired of. The Gulf Islands have very interesting beaches for exploring rock pools and there's a good chance of seeing orcas and seals offshore. Mainly rocky and pebbly beaches though, you don't find golden sandy beaches here.

Britain has some great beaches actually, which many non-Brits are surprised to hear. Many of the really beautiful, deserted ones are in Scotland, Northumberland and Wales, which means they are often too cold for a lot of the year. But there are lot more sandy beaches around Britain if you know where to look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.