Going Back

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going Back

Thats why i want to go home now its so hard already to get on the property ladder in uk.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:31 am
Just Joined

kempyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to everyone,

Ive been reading many threads on here in hope of something that will make up my mind on what to do. im hearing such horror stories about moving to OZ with finding work etc and how difficult it is as a british (Pom) to interact with the Aussies.

My husband and I have to 2 year old twin girls and are at this very moment just signed the application forms to move to OZ. For a few weeks now ive started to look at my life here and weighed up the pro's and con's of staying. Here, we are very financially secure with good jobs and a nice house in a good location and after reading some of the treads its like am I mad in throwing all that away for a dream I have as it seems not to be all rosy. I think I took the rose tinted glasses off a while ago, unfortunately having paid £3,000 for an agent, but this is nothing to what I could lose. Its something I want to do but am I just jriskingeverything considering my husband would not be able to get as well paid job over there and my skills are on the "most Wanted" list but "Is IT", I mean I think we may struggle when we get there like most for jobs etc and its even harder when you have children to consider. I would really like to move away from my family, id miss my friends but only them so family isn't an issue for me.

My question is, should I post this envelope that is sat on my desk now? Sorry any advise would be great
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:49 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
What amazes me is that there is a massive shortage of teachers all over OZ, so when i hear that a professional teacher from the UK is struggling to get a job, it is just bloody ridiculous!!!!!

What on earth are the government trying to do, wanting trained and skilled workers, then when they get here it's like "f**k off"..

I too am going home for the same reasons. No work, no money, no fun!
I was a teacher. No longer one because I couldn't get a job. There is no teacher shortage. I was knocked back by every recruitment office of the Dept of Education in Queensland. I mean every one. Even the offices that recruit for remote areas knocked me back. Palm Island or Thargomindah even didn't want me! I was told they had thousands of graduates to place first. I eventually managed to find a job in an independent boarding school in North Queensland but we couldn't stay because OH was only getting 2 hours a day work in the only job he could find there. There are no jobs in Brisbane for teachers so into low level Admin I had to go because the cost of living is too expensive to wait around for the perfect career change position.

Anyway my teacher training and first teaching position were in Queensland before I went to the UK with my future OH. So if a Queensland trained teacher cannot get work in Queensland then I really feel for those who came over here on the promise that Australia needed teachers.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding jobs, the skills shorage ... most of the skills shortage jobs in OZ are not in the bits immigrants want to move to. They want the beach, the city the lovely little holiday towns where theres probably already 100 people for each job> The jobs oz cant fill are not in these places but in the dusty, hot, isolated rural areas where aussies wont move to. As for low unemployment, 2 hours is considered employed.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:55 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Regarding jobs, the skills shorage ... most of the skills shortage jobs in OZ are not in the bits immigrants want to move to. They want the beach, the city the lovely little holiday towns where theres probably already 100 people for each job> The jobs oz cant fill are not in these places but in the dusty, hot, isolated rural areas where aussies wont move to. As for low unemployment, 2 hours is considered employed.
Yes that is why unemployment is apparently only 2% or some ridiculously low number!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kempyz
Hi to everyone,

Ive been reading many threads on here in hope of something that will make up my mind on what to do. im hearing such horror stories about moving to OZ with finding work etc and how difficult it is as a british (Pom) to interact with the Aussies.

My husband and I have to 2 year old twin girls and are at this very moment just signed the application forms to move to OZ. For a few weeks now ive started to look at my life here and weighed up the pro's and con's of staying. Here, we are very financially secure with good jobs and a nice house in a good location and after reading some of the treads its like am I mad in throwing all that away for a dream I have as it seems not to be all rosy. I think I took the rose tinted glasses off a while ago, unfortunately having paid £3,000 for an agent, but this is nothing to what I could lose. Its something I want to do but am I just jriskingeverything considering my husband would not be able to get as well paid job over there and my skills are on the "most Wanted" list but "Is IT", I mean I think we may struggle when we get there like most for jobs etc and its even harder when you have children to consider. I would really like to move away from my family, id miss my friends but only them so family isn't an issue for me.

My question is, should I post this envelope that is sat on my desk now? Sorry any advise would be great
Only you can decide really.

Some will say go for it, if its your dream. I would have said the same thing.
Now, I think if you are happy where you are, why come.
If you do, keep your house and rent it out

all the best
not much help I know
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Only you can decide really.

Some will say go for it, if its your dream. I would have said the same thing.
Now, I think if you are happy where you are, why come.
If you do, keep your house and rent it out

all the best
not much help I know
I agree! If you have the wanderlust you may have to get it out of your system, but boy can it be heart wrenching and expensive. With hindsight, it is not something I would put my family through.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:50 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Hi to everyone,

how difficult it is as a british (Pom) to interact with the Aussies.
Take that with a grain of salt-In perth a full 38% of people are either "poms" are have a parent who is one.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Take that with a grain of salt-In perth a full 38% of people are either "poms" are have a parent who is one.
I love it when I meet poms over here - hooray, the more the better.
But why move to another country to want to be with people from the UK.
Yes you have stuff in common (humour for one) which is brill but if you're migrating, that shouldnt be a concern. If it is, you should not not come
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Don't do it. It isn't a dream ... it's life. The fact that it's life 12,000miles from everything you've ever known is largely irrelevant.

You've said it all there - you are financially secure, live in a nice house, working within a social system you understand with friends whose company you enjoy. What do you have to gain by moving to Australia? The fact that your skills are on the most-wanted list means nothing. It doesn't guarantee you work in any way shape or form. And as Jad 'n' Rich have pointed out - what work there is, is usually well inland and not in the picturesque coastal settlements that all the immigrants want to live in.

If you want some excitement in your life, take up a hobby. Don't want to sound rude, but your story is familiar and the outcome is too ...
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

kempyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your comments

Well its still sat here on my desk so I havent posted it yet. Its not excitement im looking for,I have plenty of that already, its a change in life, a new direction a different upbringing for my children, some may say a better life. The question im looking to find answers for is....... "IS IT REALLY"

People's different experiences, those who have gone and its great and those who have come back and there why's! im not the type of person thats thinks its all beaches and sunshine thats not the reasons for wanting to move, its the quality of life and the processes etc (work, medicare, Schooling and such things) which are bothering me at the moment and making me question the idea.

I was in a shop this afternoon and there was a girl in there I think she was from South Africa and she was telling one assistant about the medical care and if you were out of a job over there. i kind of got closer so I could ear wig more and it kind of got me thinking her words were "sure its colder here but you have to que in the blazing heat for medical attention and if your out of a job ur on the streets, to be here you dont know how lucky you are to be British"......... or do we? so why do so many emigrate??

So is it for Oz or

Last edited by kempyz; May 2nd 2007 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:08 pm
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your comments

Well its still sat here on my desk so I havent posted it yet. Its not excitement im looking for,I have plenty of that already, its a change in life, a new direction a different upbringing for my children, some may say a better life. The question im looking to find answers for is....... "IS IT REALLY"

People's different experiences, those who have gone and its great and those who have come back and there why's! im not the type of person thats thinks its all beaches and sunshine thats not the reasons for wanting to move, its the quality of life and the processes etc (work, medicare, Schooling and such things) which are bothering me at the moment and making me question the idea.

I was in a shop this afternoon and there was a girl in there I think she was from South Africa and she was telling one assistant about the medical care and if you were out of a job over there. i kind of got closer so I could ear wig more and it kind of got me thinking her words were "sure its colder here but you have to que in the blazing heat for medical attention and if your out of a job ur on the streets, to be here you dont know how lucky you are to be British"......... or do we? so why do so many emigrate??

So is it for Oz or

Honestly, I seriously do believe that Australia offers a better lifestyle-objectively- If you can avoid coming to dislike the place over non-tangible things-like "its bland" or trite things like "I miss tesco's."
Althought I do think the NHS is better and more attentive than medicare.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:53 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Honestly, I seriously do believe that Australia offers a better lifestyle-objectively- If you can avoid coming to dislike the place over non-tangible things-like "its bland" or trite things like "I miss tesco's."
Althought I do think the NHS is better and more attentive than medicare.
It all depends on what a better lifestyle is to you though - every persons idea of better lifestyle is different. Everyone's jobs/earnings/needs/likes and dislikes are different and these things all contribute to our quality of life.

For us our lifestyle was far superior in the UK to anything we had in Oz.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:02 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by joe38
we arrived end of Jan 07 we went to the Gold Coast we rented a flat in currumbin which is a really nice place my daughter settled in really well she went to Elenora high School she loved it there my son went to currumbin junior school he has never liked it over here in Oz.
we thought it would be so easy to find work me being a chef manager in uk ,my wife a teacher how wrong was i we applied for at least over 100 jobs the worst thing is you never here from them if you have the job or not which really pissed me off at time the 4 months or so bring has been the most frustrated time of our life!! I did mange to find some causal work which turned out shit to they just out to use you when they want you the would rather have school kids to do the jobs for peanuts,wages here are so low price of food is expensive here to within 4 months of being here we spent over £10k.
its all money money ,and nothing coming in ,now we are getting so bored here to.We love it here to but the work situation is crazy its a common thing here to.
Here its not what you know its who,
What you are experiencing is far from unusual. We were in Brisbane for 6 months and in that time my hubby worked for a total of 12 weeks in three different jobs, taken on as casual and then finished when work was caught up. He is a mechanic and a very versatile one at that, in other words he can fix anything. He travelled over an hour to two of the jobs but did it because he wanted to work. As for our friends who are still there, it took the hubby 18 months to get a job of any kind, he stopped counting how many jobs he applied for and he applied for anything and everything not only in his trade. He now has a job in his trade but they constantly muck him about by changing his hours etc. As for not even getting a reply this seems to be common practice, my hubby even had a job interview at which they indicated that they thought he was exactly what they were looking for, he is still waiting to hear the outcome!!!

We made the decision to return and to be honest it is the best decision we have ever made. We came home £25,000 down from the equity from our house that we sold but we have started again and have never been happier.

Susan
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulrachel
What amazes me is that there is a massive shortage of teachers all over OZ, so when i hear that a professional teacher from the UK is struggling to get a job, it is just bloody ridiculous!!!!!

What on earth are the government trying to do, wanting trained and skilled workers, then when they get here it's like "f**k off"..

I too am going home for the same reasons. No work, no money, no fun!
The emmigrations shows in the uk have a lot to answer for, they should be held accountable for the mis-information they give out. I am also a qualified teacher of adults in the uk, came out to nz in 2006 and finding work has been horrific, (here with hubby and 4 kids)too qualified for most jobs here, but willing to do any. I am a professional, cleaning air filters in a local factory, so much for needing skilled workers!! Going home July 07!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.