Wikiposts

Going Against The Grain

Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:26 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Against The Grain

[QUOTE=kporte;7961295]
Originally Posted by willamos

You know it worries me that we may find independence. All we have been through as a nation together. Scotland will struggle on it's own and the rest of the country will be lessened without it.
Scots law is actually quite sensible in places....
i honestly dont think independance these days makes a differnce ,we are all in the EU . im not an advocate of independance as britains strength in the world has been because of the union of the crowns and long may it continue ,after all we wouldnt want the border reiver raiding partys starting up again would we ,poor old berwick doesnt know wether its artha or martha .

Last edited by king kong; Sep 24th 2009 at 2:27 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:29 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=king kong;7961334]
Originally Posted by kporte

i honestly dont think independance these days makes a differnce ,we are all in the EU . im not an advocate of independance as britains strength in the world has been because of the union of the crowns and long may it continue ,after all we wouldnt want the border reiver raiding partys starting up again would we ,poor old berwick doesnt know wether its artha or martha .
I blame bloody Braveheart. Not kidding either.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:35 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;7961352]
Originally Posted by king kong

I blame bloody Braveheart. Not kidding either.
lol ,well he did wear blue war paint apparently .I must admit i find the history between scotland and england fascinating and coming from a mongrel mixture of ulster-scots english background it really pulls on the heart strings .i feel just as much at home in scotland as i do in ulster as i do in england . A story many here could tell i guess .
At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the scots ,ulsterman ,welsh or english for that matter but the history and how its carried by each nation these days by the normal folk is indeed an interesting subject .
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:41 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=king kong;7961381]

lol ,well he did wear blue war paint apparently .I must admit i find the history between scotland and england fascinating and coming from a mongrel mixture of ulster-scots english background it really pulls on the heart strings .i feel just as much at home in scotland as i do in ulster as i do in england . A story many here could tell i guess .
At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the scots ,ulsterman ,welsh or english for that matter but the history and how its carried by each nation these days by the normal folk is indeed an interesting subject .
I have shitloads of ideas but not one answer.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:44 am
poole ,dorset . love it

[QUOTE=kporte;7961397]

I have shitloads of ideas but not one answer.
we can always be just happy that it gives us a bit of banter in the pubs ,and football meet ups are always interesting .
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:47 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=king kong;7961407]

we can always be just happy that it gives us a bit of banter in the pubs ,and football meet ups are always interesting .
I lived in Armadale in Scotland, for a bit. More serious Rangers fans than any part of Glasgow
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:12 am
poole ,dorset . love it

[QUOTE=kporte;7961428]

I lived in Armadale in Scotland, for a bit. More serious Rangers fans than any part of Glasgow
rangers/chelsea is one of the few time you will see scots and english side by side in the same stadium ,but thats a whole differnt story and sure would be one that will upset some ,nevertheless interesting how politics etc and allegiances can brush aside ones of individual nations .I guess its way way off the original subjct but in a way connected due to the fact the human mind and perceived history etc shapes us and makes us generalise about people when i guess we should judge each book by its cover .
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by willamos
Does anyone feel sometimes that by wanting to return to the UK they are ''going against the grain'', so to speak?

I mean, other Brits who have left the UK (and are happy with their move) will often quite happily tell you that you are virtually insane/stupid and hardcore Aussies (of whom there seems to be a fair number) will often do the same. Plus of course there are Brits back at home who say ''oooh, you don't wanna come back here, mate, you're best off there in Australia'' etc etc etc, despite the fact that they have never been to Australia anyway!

I definitely feel that contemplating returning to the UK is much tougher than contemplating the move to Australia in the first place, and that's saying something!!

Anyone else felt the same about this issue?
Yes, to some extent we tend to feel that we're going all against the grain by moving back to the UK. We're in Canada at the moment but have found that most of the people here we know understand our decision. Our friends & family in the UK also understand; in fact some have lived abroad at one time or another.

I think the hardest part of the decision to return to the UK is realising the fact that you haven't failed by going back, in fact you've achieved something that most people are too frightened to try and you now realise all the good things the UK does have to offer. It does make you wonder about expats who do criticise you for going back- deep down maybe they're wanting to return as well but haven't had the light bulb go on yet maybe?

I'm not sure anyone living in England who hasn't emmigrated abroad for an extended period of time would have a realistic perspective on why you shouldn't come back. England does have it's faults as do all other countries but the "faults" you're willing to accept are one of the many factors that influence your decision on where home is.

Comments- both positive and negative- all go towards helping you make a decision but at the end of the day only you know what's best for you.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

That god's country quote has been used about Yorkshire, Scotland etc etc.
Long before the Aussies nicked it too.
Very few people have real independent thought, whichever country they are from...
Don't forget South India too!I saw countless signs saying the exact same thing when I was over there!!!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Why should going back to the UK be in any way wrong? It's an awesome country. I think some people that contemplate moving back are concerned that it may be viewed as failure. The failure would be staying somewhere you felt wasn't right. I have moved to Aus and have had no regrets whatsoever. Many on here knew straight away it was wrong for them. All good.
The people who feel undecided are the tough ones, not an easy scenario!

I agree with what you say regarding people back home. I never understand why people have such a negative view of Britain. Do you think other countries take this view, or is it a British trait?
Going back to the UK should absolutely not be viewed as failure, unless I suppose those going back gave their new country a matter of weeks, etc., which I have read on here. I think I read someone once who went back in days, which is of course totally absurd and says much more about the immigrant than the country.

Those that stay for a realistic, grown-up amount of time and give their new countries a chance to work out, but then decide to go back for whatever reason are still successes because they had the courage to do what so many others just tal about - become an immigrant and live overseas.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:04 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Going back to the UK should absolutely not be viewed as failure, unless I suppose those going back gave their new country a matter of weeks, etc., which I have read on here. I think I read someone once who went back in days, which is of course totally absurd and says much more about the immigrant than the country.

Those that stay for a realistic, grown-up amount of time and give their new countries a chance to work out, but then decide to go back for whatever reason are still successes because they had the courage to do what so many others just tal about - become an immigrant and live overseas.
Afriend of mine lasted 4 days here in perth back in 1993 .Mind you it has took me 20 years to arrive to the same conclusion . Maybe sometimes we get a ''feel''about a place but ignore it because a lot of us have given up and said a lot in the old country ,so we soldier on because we dont want to seen as failures .
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a vietnamese friend of mine who has been here all but 2 years of his life ,he is succesfull but still he feels he doesnt ''fit'' at least us from the british isles can fit in untill we open our traps ,then its on .
Strange but my (half) Vietnamese husband feels he fits in more here...and he lived in Singapore from birth, then secondary school and uni in UK. He experienced loads of bigotry there. I guess it depends where you live, but he hated his experience in UK, and he is half Brit. However when he moved to London, life was a lot easier.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read the whole thread and I'm about to go into a 'death by powerpoint presentation' (yay ). But I've written before about this and I think Australia's inability to see anything negative about itself is only balanced by Britain's inabilty to see anything positive about itself.

I blame the parents.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:53 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Haven't read the whole thread and I'm about to go into a 'death by powerpoint presentation' (yay ). But I've written before about this and I think Australia's inability to see anything negative about itself is only balanced by Britain's inabilty to see anything positive about itself.

I blame the parents.
Good one.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:06 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

I blame the parents.
never a truer word said