Wikiposts

Going Against The Grain

Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:56 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Against The Grain

Originally Posted by kporte
That's the thing though, people feel comfortable with stereotypes.
I find that the Australian stereotype of the English is far sillier than the English stereotype of Aussies though. Why? Because the English cannot be blamed for formulating an opinion of Aussies based on Australia's very own propaganda and tourist campaigns. E.g. Paul Hogan and the ''throw another shrimp on the barbie'' thing or the more recent ''where the bloody hell are ya?!''
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:00 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
i have to agree , after the americanwar of independance the prison ships on the thames had no where to go but aussie ,id put my last dollar on it there was more english than irish,scots,welsh .
I guess really for such a small nation the english have been very succesful in the past at being real barstewards ,but as stated theres absolutely no difference on the street level .
The Australian squattocracy on the other hand are certainly no differnt than the pompous twats born with a silver spoon in their mouths .
True. As i alluded to I have had a bit of stick from fellow Scots on the forum for talking about the relationship with the English. Some Scots have a chip. So do some Aussies. Not sure where to go from that though?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:03 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

True. As i alluded to I have had a bit of stick from fellow Scots on the forum for talking about the relationship with the English. Some Scots have a chip. So do some Aussies. Not sure where to go from that though?
One thing about the English; I do not feel that they have a chip on their shoulder. They can misjudge things badly at times, but they do not go around with an insecurity complex of any kind. IMHO, at least.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:04 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
I find that the Australian stereotype of the English is far sillier than the English stereotype of Aussies though. Why? Because the English cannot be blamed for formulating an opinion of Aussies based on Australia's very own propaganda and tourist campaigns. E.g. Paul Hogan and the ''throw another shrimp on the barbie'' thing or the more recent ''where the bloody hell are ya?!''
lets face it the ''tall poppy'' syndrome is alive and well within the working masses ,australians just dont like to see anyone rise above the bubbling mass especially if they are from the british isles ,ive heard scots,irish ,welsh all being called ''bloody poms '' becuase they are succesful in their new country .
migrants work harder , they have too thats what they came here for and they dont want to be seen to fail .
This is also true of the thousands of vietnamese etc ,all good contributors to australian way of life with their restaurants and late night shops ,but still they are called ''gooks'' etc .
I was talking to a vietnamese friend of mine who has been here all but 2 years of his life ,he is succesfull but still he feels he doesnt ''fit'' at least us from the british isles can fit in untill we open our traps ,then its on .
Account Closed

It's a naivety. Scots tourist campaigns are based around kilts and heather. It's almost like self flagellation.
Banned

The English are not trying to prove anything. I do think that the Aussies often are, however.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

One thing about the English; I do not feel that they have a chip on their shoulder. They can misjudge things badly at times, but they do not go around with an insecurity complex of any kind. IMHO, at least.
That's just it though, the lack of inferiority complex is seen as a superiority complex from those with the former
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

It's a naivety. Scots tourist campaigns are based around kilts and heather. It's almost like self flagellation.
The English don't go in for the silly self-sterotyping in quite the same way, I don't think. In fact, I don't think the English are all that concerned with telling the rest of the world what to think of them.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:07 am
Banned

That's just it though, the lack of inferiority complex is seen as a superiority complex from those with the former
Exactly! I think us English are just over it. After all the stuff we've done and been involved so directly in throughout history we're just past it. Maybe we've just given up!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:08 am
Account Closed

The English don't go in for the silly self-sterotyping in quite the same way, I don't think. In fact, I don't think the English are all that concerned with telling the rest of the world what to think of them.
True I believe, which again bolsters the belief of a superiority complex by others.....
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Exactly! I think us English are just over it. After all the stuff we've done and been involved so directly in throughout history we're just past it. Maybe we've just given up!
I am sad to say I see it in the UK now, where Scotland has been devolved to a degree but still benefit from the Union. I don't know why the English haven't flipped out tbh
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:11 am
Banned

[QUOTE=kporte;7961270]I am sad to say I see it in the UK now, where Scotland has been devolved to a degree but still benefit from the Union. I don't know why the English haven't flipped out tbh[/QUOTE

I often see that Scotland passes more moderate/sensible laws than England and Wales.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=willamos;7961276]
I am sad to say I see it in the UK now, where Scotland has been devolved to a degree but still benefit from the Union. I don't know why the English haven't flipped out tbh[/QUOTE

I often see that Scotland passes more moderate/sensible laws than England and Wales.
You know it worries me that we may find independence. All we have been through as a nation together. Scotland will struggle on it's own and the rest of the country will be lessened without it.
Scots law is actually quite sensible in places....
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:17 am
Banned

[QUOTE=kporte;7961295]

You know it worries me that we may find independence. All we have been through as a nation together. Scotland will struggle on it's own and the rest of the country will be lessened without it.
Scots law is actually quite sensible in places....
Scottish law always makes good sense to me. Less hysterical and over-the-top than in England and Wales.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:22 am
Account Closed

This has become interesting though off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.