Wikiposts

Going Against The Grain

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:46 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going Against The Grain

Does anyone feel sometimes that by wanting to return to the UK they are ''going against the grain'', so to speak?

I mean, other Brits who have left the UK (and are happy with their move) will often quite happily tell you that you are virtually insane/stupid and hardcore Aussies (of whom there seems to be a fair number) will often do the same. Plus of course there are Brits back at home who say ''oooh, you don't wanna come back here, mate, you're best off there in Australia'' etc etc etc, despite the fact that they have never been to Australia anyway!

I definitely feel that contemplating returning to the UK is much tougher than contemplating the move to Australia in the first place, and that's saying something!!

Anyone else felt the same about this issue?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Against The Grain

Yup. Except occasionally you assume that you are going to get the "OMG why are you thinking about that routine" and you find that someone who has been here for decades just gives a little sigh and says "I wish I had done that when I had the chance". As for the ones in UK who think this is paradise on a stick - when you actually sit and talk to them about what they think is here vs what is actually here then you can see the wheels turning over and sometimes they even say "I never thought of it like that". But, in general, yup they think you are bonkers.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Does anyone feel sometimes that by wanting to return to the UK they are ''going against the grain'', so to speak?

I mean, other Brits who have left the UK (and are happy with their move) will often quite happily tell you that you are virtually insane/stupid and hardcore Aussies (of whom there seems to be a fair number) will often do the same. Plus of course there are Brits back at home who say ''oooh, you don't wanna come back here, mate, you're best off there in Australia'' etc etc etc, despite the fact that they have never been to Australia anyway!

I definitely feel that contemplating returning to the UK is much tougher than contemplating the move to Australia in the first place, and that's saying something!!

LOL yes all the time...it has finally taken 11 nearly 12 years before we return to the U.K...it is a very confusing time when you actually tell people how you might be feeling or your plans and they come back with all this anti U.K attitude and then you also get a lot of it from the U.K as well...a bit of a double whammy really...you really just have to do what you think is best for you and yours in the end....you know what though the scariest is when people in Aus say to you .."wish I had done it years ago....I am stuck now"...that use to put things into context for me/us....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:07 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

yep , no point getting into a debate with pro-australian ,anti -brit brits because it always finishes with the ''what about the weather '' ,your done for and you have to stay here because the sun shines .
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Nope can't say I've noticed.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

You're thinking about this too much, william. But, from a technical perspective I suppose you are going against the grain because the majority of immigrants to Australia stay so by returning you are "going against the grain".
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:23 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
You're thinking about this too much, william. But, from a technical perspective I suppose you are going against the grain because the majority of immigrants to Australia stay so by returning you are "going against the grain".
Thats right ,all us non -believers are certainly in the minority and as you have stated most migrants stay ,so good onya australia .
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Why should going back to the UK be in any way wrong? It's an awesome country. I think some people that contemplate moving back are concerned that it may be viewed as failure. The failure would be staying somewhere you felt wasn't right. I have moved to Aus and have had no regrets whatsoever. Many on here knew straight away it was wrong for them. All good.
The people who feel undecided are the tough ones, not an easy scenario!

I agree with what you say regarding people back home. I never understand why people have such a negative view of Britain. Do you think other countries take this view, or is it a British trait?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:53 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Why should going back to the UK be in any way wrong? It's an awesome country. I think some people that contemplate moving back are concerned that it may be viewed as failure. The failure would be staying somewhere you felt wasn't right. I have moved to Aus and have had no regrets whatsoever. Many on here knew straight away it was wrong for them. All good.
The people who feel undecided are the tough ones, not an easy scenario!

I agree with what you say regarding people back home. I never understand why people have such a negative view of Britain. Do you think other countries take this view, or is it a British trait?
Well, it's certainly not a trait you'll ever encounter in Australia, is it. I mean, bloody hell, I've never known such unmitigated, disproportionate flag-waving as you see constantly here in Australia. And this forum adheres to that trend by and large, as I've tried to point out elsewhere on BE, usually without success. In Australia, the 'done thing' is to say ''bloody oath, I love Australia''. Whereas in the UK the 'done thing' is to complain (not criticise, I hasten to add, but moan and complain - quite specifically) about everything possible: the weather, the immigration, the prices, the taxes, the congestion, etc etc etc.

Missing the UK is sufficient to be ''going against the grain'', never mind actually wanting to go home and perhaps planning to do so.

The idea of coming to Australia as a Brit is that you arrive, spend a few months or so settling in and then declare how bloody fantastic you think it is (harp on about the brilliant weather and outdoors life) and proclaim that ''you will never go back''. All of which is fair enough. Where it goes wrong is that very often these people seem to get rather smug about their move, and scoff at those (like me) who miss the UK. It is almost as if you are not in the club; ''club Australia''. I do sometimes suspect that people missing the UK raises a few issues buried deep down in the people who shout about loving Australia but they'd never ever admit that, of course.

Anyway, it is a British thing to moan about Britain. Poor Britain gets a double bashing cos it's not only the Brits at home doing it but a lot of the Brits over here doing it too, especially when they go back to the UK to visit family or something.

And about the failure thing you mention. I have NEVER, EVEN ONCE, perceived it that way. I do sometimes feel though that there are smug, self-satisfied characters on BE that would LIKE me and those like me to feel that way about it.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup. Except occasionally you assume that you are going to get the "OMG why are you thinking about that routine" and you find that someone who has been here for decades just gives a little sigh and says "I wish I had done that when I had the chance". As for the ones in UK who think this is paradise on a stick - when you actually sit and talk to them about what they think is here vs what is actually here then you can see the wheels turning over and sometimes they even say "I never thought of it like that". But, in general, yup they think you are bonkers.
Very true. It is amazing how many people have the perception that life in Australia is one big holiday. Stupid. Every single person I know here, bar none, works every bit as long hours as people in the UK do. Perhaps more so, even. Yet people have this idea that once you are in Australia all you need do is sit around on a beach swigging beer all day long and having endless barbecues.

This is the propaganda that Australia itself has put out there, so I guess it's hardly surprising. Some expats go in for it too, which I find odd, as unless they are independently wealthy they must work as much as everyone else. I think they perhaps like to continue the myth for some reason.

It can take a while to get people who have never lived in Australia to appreciate that it is not what they picture in their imaginations. Yes, there are certain lifestyles/hobbies that Australia makes easier, but there an awful lot of things that, sorry to say aussie apologists, simply ain't here.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 24th 2009 at 12:08 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by king kong
yep , no point getting into a debate with pro-australian ,anti -brit brits because it always finishes with the ''what about the weather '' ,your done for and you have to stay here because the sun shines .
Ha!

When I was a kid, I used to think adults just used the weather to make small talk. Never realised people actually cared that much about it.

Now I've lived in Australia I know different. Expats here like my aunt who, when a trip back to the UK is looming, goes on and on about ''I don't know how I'm going to cope with the weather''.

What????!!!!??? She lives in Melbourne; the climate is hardly astonishingly brilliant here anyway. And since when is the UK soooo unbearable??!

I'll never, ever understand this weather crap. Especially not when there are sandstorms turning a whole city orange and causing health issues, floods causing havoc and fires destroying all in their path. But no, I am wrong, the weather in Australia is heaven on earth.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 24th 2009 at 12:11 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Well, it's certainly not a trait you'll ever encounter in Australia, is it. I mean, bloody hell, I've never known such unmitigated, disproportionate flag-waving as you see constantly here in Australia. And this forum adheres to that trend by and large, as I've tried to point out elsewhere on BE, usually without success. In Australia, the 'done thing' is to say ''bloody oath, I love Australia''. Whereas in the UK the 'done thing' is to complain (not criticise, I hasten to add, but moan and complain - quite specifically) about everything possible: the weather, the immigration, the prices, the taxes, the congestion, etc etc etc.

Missing the UK is sufficient to be ''going against the grain'', never mind actually wanting to go home and perhaps planning to do so.

The idea of coming to Australia as a Brit is that you arrive, spend a few months or so settling in and then declare how bloody fantastic you think it is (harp on about the brilliant weather and outdoors life) and proclaim that ''you will never go back''. All of which is fair enough. Where it goes wrong is that very often these people seem to get rather smug about their move, and scoff at those (like me) who miss the UK. It is almost as if you are not in the club; ''club Australia''. I do sometimes suspect that people missing the UK raises a few issues buried deep down in the people who shout about loving Australia but they'd never ever admit that, of course.

Anyway, it is a British thing to moan about Britain. Poor Britain gets a double bashing cos it's not only the Brits at home doing it but a lot of the Brits over here doing it too, especially when they go back to the UK to visit family or something.

And about the failure thing you mention. I have NEVER, EVEN ONCE, perceived it that way. I do sometimes feel though that there are smug, self-satisfied characters on BE that would LIKE me and those like me to feel that way about it.
The thing is I find people who run down the Uk, just as irritating as those that slag off Aus. I think the general idea is that you pick a side here I take on board what you say about the jingoism here but I really feel that as Australia should look at the more balanced approach Brits have, we should indulge in a bit more flag waving about Britain.
People generally don't have the ability to look beyond their own situation, which can make things a bit fraught at times, especially in here or the Barbie where views are very polarized.
I catch a bit of flak from everywhere as I am very pro Aus but also anti, anti -UK as well.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:14 am
Banned

The thing is I find people who run down the Uk, just as irritating as those that slag off Aus. I think the general idea is that you pick a side here I take on board what you say about the jingoism here but I really feel that as Australia should look at the more balanced approach Brits have, we should indulge in a bit more flag waving about Britain.
People generally don't have the ability to look beyond their own situation, which can make things a bit fraught at times, especially in here or the Barbie where views are very polarized.
I catch a bit of flak from everywhere as I am very pro Aus but also anti, anti -UK as well.
In some ways I am quite happy to go against the grain on this issue anyway.

I really could never be one of those who buys wholesale into the whole ''Australia is god's country'' cliched gibberish that so many seem to fall for so spectacularly. It's like they are not really thinking for themselves. Just going with the herd.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:18 am
Account Closed

In some ways I am quite happy to go against the grain on this issue anyway.

I really could never be one of those who buys wholesale into the whole ''Australia is god's country'' cliched gibberish that so many seem to fall for so spectacularly. It's like they are not really thinking for themselves. Just going with the herd.
That god's country quote has been used about Yorkshire, Scotland etc etc.
Long before the Aussies nicked it too.
Very few people have real independent thought, whichever country they are from...
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:22 am
Banned

That god's country quote has been used about Yorkshire, Scotland etc etc.
Long before the Aussies nicked it too.
Very few people have real independent thought, whichever country they are from...
Never said the expression was unique to Australia, did I? But the sentiment is indulged in far more here than anywhere else I know.

Of course people do not have true independent thought. I didn't specifically say that either.

What I AM saying is that it seems to be such a boring, well-trodden path; the path of ''isn't Australia wonderful, I'm staying here for good, never setting foot in UK again if I can help it'' blah blah blah. In some ways I am very happy that I am not in that category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.