British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Go home in style? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/go-home-style-911266/)

tusitala Apr 3rd 2018 8:41 pm

Go home in style?

If you are returning to the UK from the US and don't have a huge amount of stuff, consider taking a one way transatlantic cruise for the same or less than a typical airfare plus baggage fees!

One way fares from the east coast to Southampton are often available for around $700 (and sometimes much less) and that includes all the luggage* that will reasonably fit in your cabin along with 6-13 days of pampered relaxation

Just one caveat, most offerings are in the spring when ships are repositioning from the Caribbean to Europe but I believe the Queen Mary II sails most of the year

* - check with the cruise line before you book!

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2018 10:30 pm

Re: Go home in style?

Originally Posted by tusitala (Post 12475414)
If you are returning to the UK from the US and don't have a huge amount of stuff, consider taking a one way transatlantic cruise for the same or less than a typical airfare plus baggage fees!

One way fares from the east coast to Southampton are often available for around $700 (and sometimes much less) and that includes all the luggage* that will reasonably fit in your cabin along with 6-13 days of pampered relaxation

Just one caveat, most offerings are in the spring when ships are repositioning from the Caribbean to Europe but I believe the Queen Mary II sails most of the year

We like to travel to the UK from NYC on the QM2 and yes you can often get good last minute fares. They also have a limited number of kennels on board...but these are often booked up months in advance...but cancellations often become available.

Several of our members have returned to the UK on the QM2...plus dogs. A quick search of the UK forums should bring up past threads on the subject.

Edit: The QM2 sails from NYC to Southampton at the beginning of January for one voyage...then is on a world tour. Transatlantic voyages resume usually in May to the end of the year.

PrairieWriter Apr 3rd 2018 10:52 pm

We thought about this, but can't do it. Why? Because we will be taking a nine-month-old baby with us, and their age restrictions indicate that kids under one can't travel. Bummer!

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter (Post 12475479)
We thought about this, but can't do it. Why? Because we will be taking a nine-month-old baby with us, and their age restrictions indicate that kids under one can't travel. Bummer!

This is true...shame.

One thing I will mention just in case anyone wishes to travel during the winter months. The QM2 is an ocean liner and was built to sail the Atlantic in very rough seas. When we were on her in January we had gale force 12 winds...an extreme storm...she hardly moved. Unlike cruise ships...they roll around in the slightest bad weather conditions.

Benson55 Apr 4th 2018 5:23 am

What a great idea especially for the retired folks.

Brigette Apr 4th 2018 10:11 am

Oh my this sounds like a great idea. Will have to look into it. Im single no children and really do not have a lot of stuff (very sad to be leaving my bed..love my bed). Where should I look first?

Jerseygirl Apr 4th 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 12475657)
Oh my this sounds like a great idea. Will have to look into it. Im single no children and really do not have a lot of stuff (very sad to be leaving my bed..love my bed). Where should I look first?

It’s a nice relaxing way to travel across the pond...especially if you are relocating or if you have pets.

Depends on your location and what time of year you want to go back. If NYC is the most convenient departure location...or if you want to travel between May through early January...then look on Cunard’s website. If you wish to sail in the spring or fall from Florida...you may be able to get a relocation cruise. Try Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL etc. or ask a travel agent.

tusitala Apr 4th 2018 12:25 pm

I also have seen Galveston and Boston departures, you may also be able to join a voyage in Halifax Canada

We have taken four transatlantic cruises and they are a lot of fun, I can't think of a better way to start your new life.

I think only Cunard takes pets other than support animals but we have seen a number of "emotional support" dogs on other cruises.

The QMII does fare better in bad weather due to its V shaped hull , most regular cruise ships have a relatively flat bottom and were not designed for north Atlantic crossings.

We have sailed on her and my mother was at the launch of the first (Cunard) Queen Mary in 1934. I have also been on and under the QEII and Queen Elizabeth in dry dock and stayed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

JerseyGirl -

Bummer you can't sail with the nine month old baby, you may want to verify all cruise lines have the same policy.

Brigette -

maybe you could sneak the bed on board ;}

also - some cruise lines offer a few single person cabins but that would limit the amount of luggage you could fit in

Jerseygirl Apr 4th 2018 12:32 pm

I think I am past the sell by date for having a baby. :lol:

tusitala Apr 4th 2018 12:47 pm

Oops,

Sorry JerseyGirl, that should have been PrairieWriter with the baby!

durham_lad Apr 4th 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tusitala (Post 12475414)

The year we moved back from Houston Princess had a re-positioning cruise leaving from Houston right about the time we wanted - April. This was the last year they sailed out of Houston so we were doubly lucky.

The first time we sailed from NYC to Southampton was in 2013 on the Queen Elizabeth at the end of her world tour and it only cost us $500 each.

Brigette Apr 5th 2018 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12475680)
It’s a nice relaxing way to travel across the pond...especially if you are relocating or if you have pets.

Depends on your location and what time of year you want to go back. If NYC is the most convenient departure location...or if you want to travel between May through early January...then look on Cunard’s website. If you wish to sail in the spring or fall from Florida...you may be able to get a relocation cruise. Try Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL etc. or ask a travel agent.

Thank you so much. I am relocating. No pets but will definitely get a pup when I get there :fingerscrossed: Unfortunately I am no where near NY or Florida will do some digging as you suggested and see what I come up with

Jerseygirl Apr 5th 2018 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 12476044)
Thank you so much. I am relocating. No pets but will definitely get a pup when I get there :fingerscrossed: Unfortunately I am no where near NY or Florida will do some digging as you suggested and see what I come up with

If you look at the website of the cruise companies I named...you can usually put in ‘relocation cruises’ in the search.

You could always try Expedia, Cruise Critic and other travel websites...I prefer to book direct with the cruise company.

tusitala Apr 5th 2018 11:52 am

On Expedia (and other) websites

Select "Transatlantic"

Then select "Departure Port" - United States ( or possibly Canada)

Then check the US departure ports you are interested in
(New York, Miami, Oklahoma City ;} etc)

Today's lowest fare is 14 nights from Miami to Southampton from $683 ppdo + port charges with stops in the Azores, Portugal, Spain and France, sail date is April 22nd (Navigator of the Seas, NCL )