British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Go back for kids university/life experience? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/go-back-kids-university-life-experience-584642/)

triumphguy Jan 15th 2009 10:51 pm

Go back for kids university/life experience?

My kids are still young, but you've got to think ahead.

I have some bright kids and wonder whether to plan ahead to live in the UK and have them apply for university in the UK/France (my daughter is in French Immersion here in Cananda). In high school they can study the IB program which enables them to apply to European Universities.

I went to London University and it was a growing experience.

Has anyone gone back for their kids schooling, or to expose their kids to a different culture?

quoll Jan 15th 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Go back for kids university/life experience?

Remember that if you do go back for your kids to go to Uni (I'm a UCL girl!!!) then if you havent had 3 years of residency prior to beginning uni they will be slapped with international student fees. Just another little snippet to file away in your planning.

triumphguy Jan 15th 2009 11:34 pm

UCL cough cough, ugg.

I was at Kings!

I was expecting to pay anyway so that's no prob. I'd have to pay over here too!

And it's not a question of which is the better school/university (Tho' Kings and UCL are up there!!!)

London has loads to offer - doh!

Has onyone done this? Any suggestions? Thoughts? Or just let the lttle trogs hitch round south asia on their own dime?:rofl:

quoll Jan 16th 2009 1:03 am

That's OK you can still be my friend, I wont hold Kings against you - we University of London alumni need to stick together you know! I had friends at Kings - was in a Uni hall of residence not a UC one!

Divorce the kids as soon as they begin to get stroppy and expensive I reckon.

Tr1boy Jan 16th 2009 2:16 am

Jim Hatcher went to LSE and he became Prime Minister :lol:

triumphguy Jan 16th 2009 3:56 am

Mick Jagger went to LSE and he didn't.
Pierre Trudeau went to LSE and he married Margaret who shagged Mick!!!

And the point is?

Tr1boy Jan 16th 2009 3:58 am

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7175189)
Mick Jagger went to LSE and he didn't.
Pierre Trudeau went to LSE and he married Margaret who shagged Mick!!!

And the point is?

The point is I watch too much tv :D

triumphguy Jan 16th 2009 4:36 am

How's the knuckle-dragging going?:D

Tr1boy Jan 16th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7175260)
How's the knuckle-dragging going?:D

Just managing to keep mine off the ground, but it's a daily struggle. :D Is that a T100?

triumphguy Jan 16th 2009 2:05 pm

Bonnie: now highly modded!

Do you ride?

MikeStanton Jan 16th 2009 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7174529)

I have some bright kids and wonder whether to plan ahead to live in the UK and have them apply for university in the UK/France (my daughter is in French Immersion here in Cananda). In high school they can study the IB program which enables them to apply to European Universities.

Has anyone gone back for their kids schooling, or to expose their kids to a different culture?

Both.

We didn't want the kids 'growing-up' with the entrenched Aussie parochochalism - as if mediocrity is something worth celebrating. Also, our experience of both Oz public and private schools was a key driver for our move back to the UK.

No regrets.

And our recent visit to Oz only helped to reinforce that view.

Sally Redux Jan 16th 2009 4:15 pm

Yes I would like them to go to UK university but now they are settled here.

dunroving Jan 16th 2009 6:08 pm

Don't they educate bright kids in Canada's universities? Why do you want to send them to a UK university?

dbd33 Jan 16th 2009 7:17 pm

One of my kids, born in Canada, was accepted at the Sorbonne and at Swiss and US schools (on the strength of her IB and SAT scores). In the end she went to King's in Halifax. I think this was a mistake and that we should have stumped up the cash for her to go to Paris, she was bored to death in Halifax and ultimately transferred to a school in Montreal. My partner, otoh, who was born in the US, went to Aberdeen and greatly benefitted from being exposed to culture.

What we did when the kids were in high school and, indeed, before that, was to send them to Europe for the summer. I think this helped to give them the idea of a world beyond the bounds of the ttc, something many of their contemporaries lack.

There is, of course, a good argument that if one is to put the children first then moving to the colonies ought not to be considered at all.

hudd Jan 16th 2009 7:50 pm

triumphguy

At the local boys Grammar school which my 2 sons attend there is an option to take 4 or 5 A Levels or the IB programme. I understand about 800 schools in the UK have signed up to the IB programme.

UK universities will accept IB students in the UK and have been told they find student better equiped for Uni.
We moved back to from Canada when my eldest son was 11 so he could get into the UK secondary school system. At the Grammar school they expect students to least 2 languages and you will find that studying French in Canada put them ahead. I expect both my sons to get A's in GSCE French.

A contributing factor for us to return to the UK is that it still has many of the top Universities in the world, though Canada does have some good ones as well. My eldest was attending Saturday school at Oxford University when he was 14, so I think it better for them to go to an English University as in my mind opens up a lot of opportunities for them especially inEurope.

What I have been impressed with is that the Grammar school is that they are teaching students so that they can work international job market and that they will be the next generation of leaders/professional.

This is our third year back in the UK and both my wife and I are very happen with our 13 & 15 years old sons education.

Regards

Hudd