Gloucester or Exeter

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:52 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all
Default Re: Gloucester or Exeter

Originally Posted by Erica
Hi Daisycutter. I live about 10 miles away from Gloucester in Nailsworth with is a small town, and I have to say I would not recommend Gloucester city itself. This is based on my own experiences there and some other people I know who I have talked to about Gloucester. Some of the areas around it are lovely though and my kids' school is just outside in Whaddan, and there are some lovely smaller towns and villages near it. I have only been there four times and I am not chomping at the bit to return. One time was to sing in Gloucester Cathedral with my kids' school which was wonderful, the area around the Cathedral is very pretty, but other times I have been there, in the main shopping streets, it felt very grim indeed, very run down and depressing. Lots of people who looked miserable and a few crazies swearing loudly in the street, lots of tacky shops and boarded up shops - I hope that is not offensive to anyone who loves Gloucester who might be reading! Some of the architecture is amazing but that is all I would recommend. I think you should go and check it out for yourself and get a feel for it. Also, I will ask some of the parents at school what they think of it as a city to live in, because that was only my impression and I don't want to completely slag it off. The towns around it, like Cheltenham, Cirencester and Bath are much, much nicer. It has a very wierd feel to it in my opinion and is a disjointed place with an awful traffic system. I hope that helps! I will get some more opinions for you. Where are you coming from?
Hi again Daisycutter. I asked a friend at school today and she says she really likes Gloucester because it feels so normal and relaxed and has a good multi-cultural mix, and she likes to go shopping there - she doesn't like the traffic system though. She lives in Stroud. Just thought I would let you know!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

groovy_moose is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Cheltenham, next to Gloucester, and wouldn't move there in a million years. There are some nice suburbs and local Cotswold villages, but Gloucester itself is a bit of a dump.

Exeter is probably a better bet.

I'm sure you have your reasons for picking these two, but have you considered other places. For example, Cambridge and Ely have tons of rowing, very nice schools and beautiful towns.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by groovy_moose
I grew up in Cheltenham, next to Gloucester, and wouldn't move there in a million years. There are some nice suburbs and local Cotswold villages, but Gloucester itself is a bit of a dump.

I'm sure you have your reasons for picking these two, but have you considered other places. For example, Cambridge and Ely have tons of rowing, very nice schools and beautiful towns.
House prices in Cambridge are excessively high, though.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:45 am

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
House prices in Cambridge are excessively high, though.
hi robin,yes the prices seem a bit higher,but we only need 3 bedrooms and will go to 700k which i hope will get us a detached house ... cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisycutter
hi robin,yes the prices seem a bit higher,but we only need 3 bedrooms and will go to 700k which i hope will get us a detached house ... cheers
Well yes for that kind of money you should get a pretty nice detached even in Cambridge & vicinity!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to add except that we recently spent a day/night in Exeter and had a good impression of the town. It was last week of term for Uni, students were everywhere in the good weather and well behaved in the evening. People shopping seemed relaxed. Pub were great at all levels of style.
As we drove out the next morning there was a long slow stream of traffic coming into the City and a few horn tootings.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by groovy_moose

I can only agree with this and anyone considering a move to Gloucester should consider that during last year's riots, Gloucester was one of the main areas that experienced rioting. On saying that, the surrounding countryside is very pleasant but places such as Cheltenham and even Worcester are not that far away and a better bet.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:32 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Hello, we have recently moved from the Forest of Dean to USA. The area to the west of Gloucester is fantastic. Have you thought of Monmouth? It has rowing on the River Wye and great secondary schools, private and state, both have rowing clubs. It is a true gem hidden in beautiful countryside. It is about 40 minutes from Gloucester, close access to M4, M5 and Cardiff. Shopping is also great,it has a nice small market town feel. Good luck
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:14 am

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VJW
Hello, we have recently moved from the Forest of Dean to USA. The area to the west of Gloucester is fantastic. Have you thought of Monmouth? It has rowing on the River Wye and great secondary schools, private and state, both have rowing clubs. It is a true gem hidden in beautiful countryside. It is about 40 minutes from Gloucester, close access to M4, M5 and Cardiff. Shopping is also great,it has a nice small market town feel. Good luck
thanks ... will take a good look ...