Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Global Entry UK Background Check

Global Entry UK Background Check

Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global Entry UK Background Check

A word of caution regarding Global Entry. I am a LPR since Dec 2018. I applied for GE on 24 June 2019 - still pending review. There is no way to talk to CBP about the application; portal is useless, phone permanently engaged.

Knowing this now I would have simply done TSA pre-check and taken the hit on waiting in line at immigration.

Very frustrated with the glacial pace of the application
Old Dec 6th 2019, 5:50 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
A word of caution regarding Global Entry. I am a LPR since Dec 2018. I applied for GE on 24 June 2019 - still pending review. There is no way to talk to CBP about the application; portal is useless, phone permanently engaged.

Knowing this now I would have simply done TSA pre-check and taken the hit on waiting in line at immigration.

Very frustrated with the glacial pace of the application
everyone says stuff like that, but whenever I have had issues that are not just not wanting to wait I got responses back to emails same day or next day. Examples are:

- when ESTA was new and they had coded the input to only allow passports with a max validity of 10 years, i emailed on a Saturday, 6 days later they emailed to say the system had been updated and it worked.

- when my AOS to LPR happened I was out of the country, so I had no GC to show at checking or CBP. I emailed the London embassy the day before travel and got a email response from USCIS in 32 minutes. At first they were going to issue a one time transportation letter, then CBP got looped in and said to use my AP, or visa. I ended up using the visa and the CBP at EWR did not care. I came back 3 or 4 days later after picking up the GC and going on a trip and it was no issue.

I managed to sign up to GE from an internet cafe in Thailand with a picture of my GC. They have to do checking, in general my experience is things move when they move, unless your get Congress involved nothing changes the speed of any of these things, so if you get through on the phone your will likely just get a stock answer, like it’s in process.

do your have travel history to less Western counties?
Old Dec 6th 2019, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I'm not sure if you mean me or not but yes, I have a history of travel to places in the Middle East and the Horn of Africa.

My travel history didn't seem to cause me any issue when I applied for my visa, but once I moved here it made for some fantastic first date conversations when I was single!
Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:15 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I'm not sure if you mean me or not but yes, I have a history of travel to places in the Middle East and the Horn of Africa.

My travel history didn't seem to cause me any issue when I applied for my visa, but once I moved here it made for some fantastic first date conversations when I was single!
so they are probably doing more checking with other agencies... this lets you do security light, so they do their homework. It really makes a difference and is worth the wait. My average time form aircraft seat/door to outside customs is about 10 minutes at EWR.. with a range of around 6-18 minutes depending on how far away the gate is in the C gates, B is always much faster. The biggest time saver is being able to skip the line for customs which can be crazy long as it is not separated by USC/PR and non like the first inspection for admissibility . Pre is also a massive time save and normally way faster than the Premier/Premium line.

Last edited by tht; Dec 6th 2019 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

not really, one vacation to Turkey from the UK in 2015, apart from that it's all been UK, USA, France.

I travel a lot both international (US-Europe)a domestic, so the delay is just irritating.

It's getting to the point of raising a claim with my credit card company for a service paid for but not delivered and let VISA deal with the Government. If I've not got approval after 6 months, then that's the plan and just go get Pre-check ( typical time 1-2 weeks)
Old Dec 7th 2019, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting to the point of raising a claim with my credit card company for a service paid for but not delivered and let VISA deal with the Government. If I've not got approval after 6 months, then that's the plan and just go get Pre-check ( typical time 1-2 weeks)
I have heard that GE has slowed down radically in the past year or so. When I got mine in 2017, it zipped along, but a friend recently was left waiting months for a renewal. Apparently, the 2 months between renewal notice and expiry is NOT enough to process it

Has anyone set up trackers on trackitt? That might give you some idea of the current wait times.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 11:44 am
tht

not really, one vacation to Turkey from the UK in 2015, apart from that it's all been UK, USA, France.

I travel a lot both international (US-Europe)a domestic, so the delay is just irritating.

I could see Turkey being on the “list” since it was a transit point for lots of EU origin DASH. But it sounds like it’s a wider issue. I called the Bowling Green office yesterday as I need to update my passport to a US one and no none picked up, I let the phone ring out for maybe 5 minutes.

Did you actually pay for it? 3 or 4 of my cards include it and so did my main airline United, they even provide Clear as well now.

I doubt DHS/CBP/USCIS will give any credit card company the time of day unless it’s via congress, the airlines may have a better shot there, but since it’s security related I doubt even they can do anything.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I called the Bowling Green office yesterday as I need to update my passport to a US one and no none picked up, I let the phone ring out for maybe 5 minutes.
To my knowledge, you can't actually make an appointment for this; you just show up with your new passport and existing GE card. Someone just needs to scan the PP into the system, so there is no kind of interview that needs to be scheduled. I did this at JFK very easily, but not sure the same works at Bowling Green. Did livinginnyc post about this recently?
Old Dec 8th 2019, 1:45 am
tht

Originally Posted by retzie
To my knowledge, you can't actually make an appointment for this; you just show up with your new passport and existing GE card. Someone just needs to scan the PP into the system, so there is no kind of interview that needs to be scheduled. I did this at JFK very easily, but not sure the same works at Bowling Green. Did livinginnyc post about this recently?
Yes, but you can’t make the appointment online, you have to call, and to make the appointment they would need to pick up the phone... will try to call again next week. Was surprised they did not even have answer phone. It just rang out for maybe 3 minutes and cut me off. I tried twice but nothing.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
Yes, but you can’t make the appointment online, you have to call, and to make the appointment they would need to pick up the phone...
My claim is that you don't need an appointment at all. Have you seen it advertised otherwise?

At JFK, I handed my materials to the security person at the door. She disappeared for a few minutes and came back saying "all done". I didn't have to enter the premises at all, so there was really nothing to make an appointment for. Admittedly, it might be different at Bowling Green, but I strongly suspect you just need to show up.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 1:29 pm
tht

My claim is that you don't need an appointment at all. Have you seen it advertised otherwise?

At JFK, I handed my materials to the security person at the door. She disappeared for a few minutes and came back saying "all done". I didn't have to enter the premises at all, so there was really nothing to make an appointment for. Admittedly, it might be different at Bowling Green, but I strongly suspect you just need to show up.
At an airport with a interview facility your are right, at bowling green in lower Manhattan you are wrong. They won’t let you in without by the reports I have seen. Not really worth the $150 ride each way for me to hit EWR or JFK.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 3:15 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I did! and like you I just went to an airport (I went to Newark as I figured it would be quieter), and was in/out within 10 minutes.

Bowling green is by appointment only vs JFK/Newark where no appointment is necessary. I believe Bowling green is an actual office vs field offices so federal security is involved.etc

As retzie mentioned above - GE has significantly slowed down due to the government shutdown a while back - they are massively backlogged (it says it all over their site).

Originally Posted by tht
At an airport with a interview facility your are right, at bowling green in lower Manhattan you are wrong. They won’t let you in without by the reports I have seen. Not really worth the $150 ride each way for me to hit EWR or JFK.
If you're in Manhattan (apologies I don't know your location, but you mentioned getting to bowling green) - no way either JFK or EWR are $150 each way. You can ride the E train all the way to Jamaica for JFK and ride the air train which would be closer to $10 each way (it just sucks as thats a long trip), or an off-peak LIRR which would be closer to $30 each way.

For EWR, Subway to Penn, then NJ Transit to Newark Airport, and the airtrain is included in your NJ ticket. that would be about $35 each way.

I have to fly to LA once a month for work, so travel a lot - so those prices I'd say are pretty accurate from the island.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 9:24 pm
tht

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I did! and like you I just went to an airport (I went to Newark as I figured it would be quieter), and was in/out within 10 minutes.

Bowling green is by appointment only vs JFK/Newark where no appointment is necessary. I believe Bowling green is an actual office vs field offices so federal security is involved.etc

As retzie mentioned above - GE has significantly slowed down due to the government shutdown a while back - they are massively backlogged (it says it all over their site).

If you're in Manhattan (apologies I don't know your location, but you mentioned getting to bowling green) - no way either JFK or EWR are $150 each way. You can ride the E train all the way to Jamaica for JFK and ride the air train which would be closer to $10 each way (it just sucks as thats a long trip), or an off-peak LIRR which would be closer to $30 each way.

For EWR, Subway to Penn, then NJ Transit to Newark Airport, and the airtrain is included in your NJ ticket. that would be about $35 each way.

I have to fly to LA once a month for work, so travel a lot - so those prices I'd say are pretty accurate from the island.
I am in CT, an Uber is about $150 to either airport. I am frequently in Manhattan. And yes from there it would be less expensive, if I was doing non car I would take the bus for $18 each way, but still a 2h round trip. I almost went to the international terminal at ORD last month to do it but was short on time. Will need to keep trying the phone, once I get though should be able to get an appointment a couple of months out and if I end up flying before that I can go early and walk up to the GE office in Terminal B. Been flying out of BDL and driving to places like Boston because traffic to EWR and LGA is so unpredictable, went to LGA in 45 min, and the return trip even getting off 95 was 4+ hours...
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:44 am
Just Joined

dwl715 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bc2015
You may be disappointed - in my experience, even with Global Entry, TSA Pre is restricted to US citizens/permanent residents and Canadian citizens (with Nexus). IMBW though.
TSA Pre works just great as a UK citizen with GE. Additionally, if you have others on your booking who dont have TSA Pre, they get to come with you (their boarding pass gets the mark). Saves so much time and aggravation at US airport security!
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:47 am
Just Joined

dwl715 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bc2015
Yep the problem is that even though GE "includes" TSA Pre, the qualification criteria for TSA Pre still applies. So you get GE as a British citizen but you don't qualify for TSA Pre as you don't meet their qualification criteria.
Just to clarify, UK citizens with GE do get TSA Pre. It's all good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.