Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Glass half full or half empty? Does the UK really have to be that bad

Wikiposts

Glass half full or half empty? Does the UK really have to be that bad

Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass half full or half empty? Does the UK really have to be that bad

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Plus the papers are full of rubbish, it's all sport and ads anyway!!

How are you now you are back downunder?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass half full or half empty? Does the UK really have to be that bad

Originally Posted by quoll
Never mind it will soon be Christmas........in the heat.......
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
They live in Wollongong Polly

But you are right there is nothing wrong with knowing the facts but you don't need to have it rammed down your throat so much so that kids are having nightmares!!

I don't know whatever happened to common sense it got lost somewhere along the way .......people going to see the big waves or the scary bushfires.......

I get more like Grumpy Old Women every day.
Its all about a balance between the facts and scaring people, isn't it. I'm with you on the common sense thing. First thing that happens when the beaches get closed here because of dangerous waves is that everyone goes to have a look. I mean, WTF do they think we tell them to stay away?

LOL B, dont you know that the Gong is right in line for the Biggie tsunami when NZ goes under? I hear it is going to wash right up to the top of the Clyde so anything lower than that is cactus!

However, yes, reading the news is bad for your health!!!
And there's me considering a move south.....

I feel - and share - your pain
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And there's me considering a move south.....
I know, that's why I told (warned) you.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Since I've been back lots of people have chipped in with their two pennies worth "why one earth would you come back..." doom and gloom mince. I just say "have you ever lived in Australia? No? Well then" - end of.

I think that the British media has so much to answer for that people have got an inferiority complex about living here.

Even though there were many things about Australia that I liked, and some aspects of being back that do suck (the subzero temperatures this week for example) I refuse to indulge the uneducated in Britain OR Australia.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Since I've been back lots of people have chipped in with their two pennies worth "why one earth would you come back..." doom and gloom mince. I just say "have you ever lived in Australia? No? Well then" - end of.

I think that the British media has so much to answer for that people have got an inferiority complex about living here.

Even though there were many things about Australia that I liked, and some aspects of being back that do suck (the subzero temperatures this week for example) I refuse to indulge the uneducated in Britain OR Australia.
I think this response is almost an automatic thing for a lot of people, a bit like commenting on the weather - it's just what you say when someone comes back to the UK from overseas.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Oh a bit confused here, well then you ain't islandwoman (Rosie) USA to the UK.....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:55 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I feel - and share - your pain
Me too.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:58 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely spot on. I'm so ready to come back to the UK despite some people at home thinking that I live in some kind of sunshine paradise full of unicorns, rainbows and pots of gold. You're right not to indulge the ignorants.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Too right, the stupid in Britain say "Britain is crap" and the stupid in Australia "Australia's awesome" so it's an opposite viewpoint but equally uneducated way of thinking.

Both countries have their good and bad points, which have been discussed at length in other threads.

But I'm damned if every idiot I meet is going to tell me I'm wrong for choosing to live in my own country. Nah, not on my watch.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Too right, the stupid in Britain say "Britain is crap" and the stupid in Australia "Australia's awesome" so it's an opposite viewpoint but equally uneducated way of thinking.

Both countries have their good and bad points, which have been discussed at length in other threads.

But I'm damned if every idiot I meet is going to tell me I'm wrong for choosing to live in my own country. Nah, not on my watch.
LOL, me neither - I got some really pitying looks when I was home last month and they all pretty much said Oh dear, poor you, you must really be missing the weather. I actually never missed an opportunity to tell them how it really is and they looked somewhat gobsmacked but definitely got the message by the time I had finished. Actually, Canberra has had more than 10 times the rainfall of UK in the time I have been away - well, it seems that way with 40mm just the day I came back and it hasnt stopped since and I know it has been like this pretty much all the time.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:56 am
Home Sweet Home

I like that.........

"Have you ever lived in Australia? No? Well then"

Yes this is the line I will use. Thank you.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:03 am

Good for you!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:49 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great topic. I have no worries about my return home other than this one. I just can't stand negativity and I know how much of it there is there. I am afraid it will really get me down.

Luckily most of my family and friends are upbeat and actually love England - and for the the ones who are not, I usually just tell them facts - like "did you know I pay $1,400 a month for health insurance that still won't pay for my migraine pills?" That usually shuts them up.

My mum is terrible and it's entirely because she reads the Daily Mail. No other reason. Her life is lovely and she has nothing to complain about. I tell her that all the time but it doesn't seem to penetrate.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:00 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Glass half full or half empty? Does the UK really have to be that bad

I was on a Singapore Airlines 747 on my return to New York from Singapore a couple of months ago and decided to watch the documentary channel on the IFE. They show a lot of English TV programmes on this airline, so I spotted a show called "Phil Down Under" about relocation from the UK to Oz

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv...der/index.html

I was very interested in the programme on the plane as it was a home search for an ex-military man and his family (plus his mother!) relocating from the UK to a Sydney suburb - and they were looking at a property in French's Forest, where my best friend's sister lives.

I've seen this Phil Spencer and his sidekick (the posh) Kirsty Allsop doing 'Relocation, Relocation, Relocation' TV programme in the UK and I guess as the format has become rather tired, they're now venturing overseas...and Phil's wife just happens to be Australian....so how nice to get the TV company to have them over in Oz for filming a series.

Anyway....no wonder Brits watching this 'Relocation Down Under' get all of these ideas about living in Oz the way that Phil was glamourising everything, and here's a quote from the video clip on the link; Phil is narrating and this is what he says - "Adam and Kam George hail from Basingstoke in the south of England who've given up on not-so-Great Britain" (How dare he say that! Grrrrr!!!!!)

I'd love to know how much editing is done as everything seems to go so smoothly and according to plan and the sun is always shining (no-one seems to struggle financially either). The links says "Apply Now to go househunting with Phil in Australia"....

Next thing we will probably see Phil in Florida....

I have noticed that the TV production company now has a media request on this website....for people wishing to RETURN TO THE UK...anyone, lol? Now I wonder why they are doing this.....could it be that some people just can't settle Down Under?!

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 1st 2010 at 4:18 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.