Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

giving up Aussie citizenship

giving up Aussie citizenship

Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default giving up Aussie citizenship

Hi, I'm trying to find out how I can give up my oz citizenship.

The reason being I have to access my oz super. I believe the only way I can do this is to give my Australian citizenship up :-(

A few weeks ago my youngest son was seriously assaulted here in the UK. He was fighting for his life. He had a large acute extra dural haematoma. And had to undergo an emergency craniotomy.
Now a few weeks on and he's doing well. A long road to go but with his rehabilitation he should have a full recovery.

My son has lots of appointments to attend to for his rehabilitation process but I don't own a car. I have no funds to purchase one, I can't work due to an operation that went wrong and I'm due another major operation soon.

The only way I can see for me to access my super is to give up my citizenship and send my Aussie passport back.
Anyone else done this?

Thanks
Kim
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default giving up Aussie citizenship

https://www.australiansuper.com/regi...3-a74c635af5c6
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any one gave up there oz citizenship?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/give_up/
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken

The reason being I have to access my oz super. I believe the only way I can do this is to give my Australian citizenship up :-(

A few weeks ago my youngest son was seriously assaulted here in the UK. He was fighting for his life. He had a large acute extra dural haematoma. And had to undergo an emergency craniotomy.
Now a few weeks on and he's doing well. A long road to go but with his rehabilitation he should have a full recovery.

My son has lots of appointments to attend to for his rehabilitation process but I don't own a car. I have no funds to purchase one, I can't work due to an operation that went wrong and I'm due another major operation soon.

The only way I can see for me to access my super is to give up my citizenship and send my Aussie passport back.
Anyone else done this?

Thanks
Kim
Some super funds will allow access to funds for medical/compassionate grounds I think - have you looked into this?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giving up Aussie citizenship

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/give_up/
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know about the charity Headway? I believe they are able to offer emergency funding for some circumstances- got to be worth contacting them for support anyway- what a terrible thing to happen. www.headway.org.uk
Old Nov 18th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else done this?

Thanks
Kim
Sorry to hear this, if your son is on a pension whilst injured have you looked into entitlement for a car from the NHS. My sister had one whilst her oh was seriously ill. She only returned it once he died. Better than taking out the super if possible.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some super funds will allow access to funds for medical/compassionate grounds I think - have you looked into this?
Hi yes I phoned my super and they told to call human services. They emailed forms for me to fill in and return.
I've been told if accepted they deduct 21%. I'm happy for them to do this as it will still be enough to buy a car.
I don't really want to give up my citizenship but will do if I get refused on compassionate grounds.

Kim
Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petals
Sorry to hear this, if your son is on a pension whilst injured have you looked into entitlement for a car from the NHS. My sister had one whilst her oh was seriously ill. She only returned it once he died. Better than taking out the super if possible.
He isn't on a pension as he's only 18. I'm trying to claim employment support allowance for him as he won't work for a while anyway.

Kim
Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by campervanfan
Do you know about the charity Headway? I believe they are able to offer emergency funding for some circumstances- got to be worth contacting them for support anyway- what a terrible thing to happen. www.headway.org.uk
I had a look thanks but they don't give funds to purchase a car.

Kim
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes I phoned my super and they told to call human services. They emailed forms for me to fill in and return.
I've been told if accepted they deduct 21%. I'm happy for them to do this as it will still be enough to buy a car.
You should check to see if there will be additional United Kingdom tax payable.

I don't really want to give up my citizenship but will do if I get refused on compassionate grounds.
Is there a right of appeal if refused?

Regarding giving up citizenship, from the ATO site, it looks like you cannot access superannuation on this basis unless you held an "eligible temporary visa". Even then, it's not clear if former citizens are ever eligible.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=2&H2

If you have any other legal reference, I'd be interested to see it. I have never seen anything other than hearsay before now.

Also be aware that if you renounce your Australian citizenship the Minister has the right to revoke the Australian citizenship of any of your children under 18, unless a. the child has no other citizenship; or b. the other responsible parent is an Australian citizen (or was so at death).
Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:40 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He isn't on a pension as he's only 18. I'm trying to claim employment support allowance for him as he won't work for a while anyway.

Kim
"Pension" in Aussie terminology refers to benefits in general - bit like some of us Brits say "Is he on Social Security" or "Ïs he on benefit? - if he's not receiving any benefits it might be worth talking to the local Citizens Advice Bureau to see if he's entitled to any.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=JAJ;10389441]You should check to see if there will be additional United Kingdom tax payable.

Is there a right of appeal if refused?

Regarding giving up citizenship, from the ATO site, it looks like you cannot access superannuation on this basis unless you held an "eligible temporary visa". Even then, it's not clear if former citizens are ever eligible.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=2&H2

If you have any other legal reference, I'd be interested to see it. I have never seen anything other than hearsay before now.

Also be aware that if you renounce your Australian citizenship the Minister has the right to revoke the Australian citizenship of any of your children under 18, unless a. the child has no other citizenship; or b. the other responsible parent is an Australian citizen (or was so at death)

Here is a copy of an email I received.
Yes I shall check to see if I have to pay UK tax.

Kim
Attached Thumbnails giving up Aussie citizenship-screenshot_2012-11-19-06-52-39.png  
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
"Pension" in Aussie terminology refers to benefits in general - bit like some of us Brits say "Is he on Social Security" or "Ïs he on benefit? - if he's not receiving any benefits it might be worth talking to the local Citizens Advice Bureau to see if he's entitled to any.
Hi, I'm in the process of calming him esa. It's a benefit you can claim here in UK if unfit for work.

Kim
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:39 am
Home and Happy

Hi, I'm in the process of calming him esa. It's a benefit you can claim here in UK if unfit for work.

Kim
Sounds like the updated version of Incapacity benefit as I knew it years ago. Might be worth getting the CAB to have a look and see if there is anything else available - some kind of carers allowance etc - sorry I'm so vague but its been 10 years since I left!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.