Giving birth in USA or UK

Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in USA or UK

Originally Posted by kins
Exactly - you can have complications wherever. Therefore you need to either be ready to pay potentially huge medical bills or you should have insurance. Or give birth in the UK, of course...
Yup
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
but recently, I met a Canadian, who had her first child premee in the UK and her second in the US, she said she paid for a private room in the UK $350 for 2 weeks. her birth in the US with health insurance $3000! and she said the British birth was better as she had just a midwife, the American birth was a doctor, and he was in and out of the room, and not with her?
The doctor would have been in the room. I have had three children in the US and one in the UK. I had quality care with all of them.

With my last child I had complications and ended up with an emergency c-section, and severely hemorrhaged. It was a scary time, but the doctors did a good job. My midwives after the fact were very good, the only issue I had was that unfortunately they were spread very thin and I rarely saw one. The first few days I was hooked up to a few machines and slept almost non-stop. The rules were that babies stayed in with their mothers and while that is a good thing, I wasn't awake most of the time and thankfully my baby stayed asleep as well. I was told it was due to the extreme loss of blood, that I was so sleepy. At night time the baby went into the nursery. But I stayed in the hospital for 7 days and they wanted me to stay longer.....by this time I was paying for the private room and I wanted to go home anyway. I had very good care when I got home.....something they need to do in this country for sure. It would have been extremely nice as a first time mother to have a midwife come and visit, unfortunately my mother died when I was a young girl, so I didn't have a mother to ask questions.

At any rate, I had good care on both sides of the pond. Years ago when I had my first children, my ex-husband and I were not well off financially, thankfully we had medi-cal (a replacement to Medi-caid in California) to fall back on and didn't have to pay for any doctor bills..... Unfortunately it isn't the same system as it was years ago.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The doctor would have been in the room.
Only intermittently.

I hate it when the midwife holds the baby's head in so that it is the Dr who actually delivers.....seen this happen too many time
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Only intermittently.

I hate it when the midwife holds the baby's head in so that it is the Dr who actually delivers.....seen this happen too many time
I always had a doctor to deliver and never heard otherwise. But maybe I and friends and relatives were an exception....
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I always had a doctor to deliver and never heard otherwise. But maybe I and friends and relatives were an exception....
It really depends on the hospital. Midwives do deliver at some, especially if the doctors are already busy with more complicated patients. If it's a teaching hospital, all of the doctors & students want their numbers so will do their best to be in the room for the delivery.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It really depends on the hospital. Midwives do deliver at some, especially if the doctors are already busy with more complicated patients. If it's a teaching hospital, all of the doctors & students want their numbers so will do their best to be in the room for the delivery.
I had my first three quite a few years ago when you were actually moved from the labor room into the delivery room for delivery (so much easier now!) I distinctly remember having to get onto to the delivery table and all prepped for the doctor....all at the same time that I wanted to push the baby out. Very ridiculous and anal way of doing things, thankfully its changed. My last child would have been delivered by the midwife and all in one room had things not went very wrong at the end.

I must add that although I had decent doctors on both sides, its the nurses/midwives that are the real angels. Even when I had to go into the hospital in the UK for a minor surgery (after my last child was born) I really had great care from the nurses.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone I know in the UK who has had a straightforward delivery has had the midwife deliver the baby and not a doctor. The doctor is usually called if there are complications.

When my daughter was born the doctor came in after she was born. The doctor was a pediatrician and not an OBGYN.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 18th 2009 at 4:32 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Everyone I know in the UK who has had a straightforward delivery has had the midwife deliver the baby and not a doctor. The doctor is usually called if there are complications.
I never thought it was otherwise..... I had a doctor because I had major complications and was moved to an operating theatre for an emergency c-section.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never thought it was otherwise..... I had a doctor because I had major complications and was moved to an operating theatre for an emergency c-section.
I'm sorry to hear that you had complications
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sorry to hear that you had complications

It was very scary, but it all ended well....and I have a beautiful 8 year old daughter to show for it.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It was very scary, but it all ended well....and I have a beautiful 8 year old daughter to show for it.
Well worth the pain and suffering.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do not confuse residency meaning 'where you are living' with residency for immigration purposes.

As far as the "dreaded" NHS is concerned, you are not resident in the UK and thus not entitled to NHS care unless you return to live there permanently and pass the Habitual Residency Test, or if an emergency were to befall you on a visit there.
Since she can't fly beyond a certain number of months...she will have to return to UK for several weeks beforehand anyway....I seriously doubt anyone will even question her entitlement to NHS care...since when could a Brit not return to live in UK? - pregnancy is the crystal clear case since she will have to stay several weeks - she can't just nip in and out....I do not approve of medical tourism to gain benefits when not technically resident but do not begrudge a fellow Brit returning home to have her baby on NHS...we let countless others with no connection to UK do it.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

So if the baby is born in the UK what legal right does he/she have to then come and live in the US? Will that be a whole new VISA/green card process?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
So if the baby is born in the UK what legal right does he/she have to then come and live in the US? Will that be a whole new VISA/green card process?
Child may be a US citizen:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Americ...en_Born_Abroad

If not a US citizen, Immigrant Visa will be needed, usually.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Child may be a US citizen:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Americ...en_Born_Abroad

If not a US citizen, Immigrant Visa will be needed, usually.
Baby can enter the US on a travel letter if parent s are perm US residents. Must enter within
?2 yrs of birth + becomes a perm resident on entry to US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.