Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

GillyK’s question about assets & care eligibility

GillyK’s question about assets & care eligibility

Old Aug 25th 2019, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

GillyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GillyK’s question about assets & care eligibility

I wonder if there are any ex-pats who are in the same boat we are in? We have lived abroad for 15 years and now, at ages 81 and 77, wish to return to the UK where my partner could receive the care he needs as a stroke victim and which we have to pay for where we presently reside, in South Africa. However, on a recent visit to Citizens Advice in the UK, I'm under the impression that we would not receive care unless we paid for it if we have jointly more than £24 000 in assets. All our assets in South Africa would have to go towards buying a house, or on a shared-ownership basis, in order to get the required care. This would leave us with the £24 000 to live on as the only other income we would have would be the state pension. Does anyone else have these concerns and if so what have you been able to do about it? Many thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GillyK

Hi, welcome to BE.

I’ll move your thread as The Welcome Inn is really just a place to say hi, hopefully you’ll get some good advice.

Just checking as you’ve not said, but are you both British citizens?

Good luck with the move back.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GillyK’s question about assets & care eligibility

I’m thinking that Citizens’ Advice is correct. Before Brexit consumed all the political capital, the government were considering relaxing the assets rule to £100k. I’ve listened to stories on BBC Money-box of the problems families face paying for long term care for loved ones.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: GillyK

Yes, both UK citizens. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

As it is a shared income, it would assessed as 50% for each, 12,000, at least that is how they worked out my parents savings when they returned to the UK. My sister also created a separate account for my Dad, so his pension would only go into that account. The sale of house in South Africa would be assessed in the same manner. It will take time for some benefits to be applied as some require you to be resident for 6 months even if your are UK citizens.
My Mum went straight into private nursing home which was about 5,000 a month at the time (4 yrs ago), Once her savings hit 21000, then the fees were slowly reduced. If she had been the same nursing home, once she hit 16000, then the full government benefit would have covered about 50% or less of the fees. She was lucky to get a place in local council home about a year after her return but they are very few and far between. Even, then there are expenses associated with those nursing homes, so any income your husband has will be assessed for that ie his state pension or any other pension will go to the cost of the nursing home. Not sure how it works with a married state pension as both my parents had separate pensions. Hope that helps
Old Aug 26th 2019, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I realise that any assets we have in SA would have to go into a house in order to reduce our income. It means that if you have only £24 000 left then once that is gone in living and care expenses then you would be totally dependent on the state, a parlous state.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyK
Thanks for your reply. I realise that any assets we have in SA would have to go into a house in order to reduce our income. It means that if you have only £24 000 left then once that is gone in living and care expenses then you would be totally dependent on the state, a parlous state.
I‘m afraid that is just the way it is here for everyone. What will happen in SA when your assets are depleted paying for care? If the situation in SA will be worse once you can’t afford to pay for care then it may still be worth returning to the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have misunderstood my point about the house. If your property is in both your names, ( parents jointly owned their house) any income you derive from it will be split 50/50. They won't stop you buying a house with the money but they can put a lien on it to collect any money owed by the person in care, collected at a later point. So you should try to sell the house before you leave South Africa and put any money into a separate account for yourself.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2019, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why would it have to go in to buying a house to reduce your income? Could you not rent instead to free up some capital?
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:54 am
Just Joined

If I have capital of more than £24 000 then I have to pay for care myself and wouldn't qualify for carer's allowance. Hence the reason for putting our money into a house which, as long as I am living in it with my husband, they couldn't insist on selling if he had to go into a nursing home.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

If I have capital of more than £24 000 then I have to pay for care myself and wouldn't qualify for carer's allowance. Hence the reason for putting our money into a house which, as long as I am living in it with my husband, they couldn't insist on selling if he had to go into a nursing home.
If we were in a similar position this is also what I would do.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

this might well be a benefit that restricted when you first arrive. Took my sister about 6 months to get carer's allowance for my Dad who had a stroke just before he came back to the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gilly. This fact sheet from Age UK may help to answer some of your questions. The information is applicable to England and Wales, links are provided for Age Scotland and Age NI
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset...abroad_fcs.pdfb