British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   GiffGaff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/giffgaff-762370/)

jenny heading home Jun 21st 2012 12:18 am

GiffGaff

has anyone heard of giffgaff in the UK? It is a mobile phone network provider i believe. Someone mentioned it to me saying that they were supposed to be reasonable for PAYG

jemima55 Jun 21st 2012 8:03 am

Re: GiffGaff

Hi Jenny! I`m back earlier than planned due to family circumstances. I`ve seen Giffgaff advertised and they do indeed seem to offer cheap PAYG packages. Hubby got me a Lebara sim, but I may change to Giffgaff. It seems PAYG rates can be quite expensive in the UK.

englishguygoinghome Jun 21st 2012 10:10 am

Data can be expensive on PAYG, three do a good deal with 500MB & 100minutes for 10quid or unlimited(hard to get on a pay monthly!!) & 300 minutes for 15quid - each valid for 30 days. It is worth noting that three have pretty poor reception in some areas (but the same can be said about all the networks), check who's network your provider uses and see id you can find a freind in the area you're going to be who uses them and can give you feedback

rebs Jun 21st 2012 12:36 pm

I've not found PAYG to be too bad for us... we don't tend to use our mobile phones a great deal for calls, but do like to have the data options and my son uses BBM a great deal.

My husband & son are both on T-mobile and they offer 6 months internet access for £20 which I think is a pretty good deal. As I say, we don't use the phones much for calls, so I'm not sure how much they are per minute, but I tend to top them up £15 every couple of months or so (if even that often). My husband uses his phone to create a 'mobile hotspot' and then uses his ipad for surfing/emails etc, which works really well.

The downside of PAYG (for us) is the price of the phones. I've got a pay monthly contract to get a phone that I liked - I pay around £16 a month which gets me internet and all the minutes and texts that I can use!

jenny heading home Jun 22nd 2012 4:27 am

thanks guys for all the info, really helpful :)

Madnellie Jun 24th 2012 6:48 am

Hi Jenny, I moved over to giffgaff a few months ago when my contract with Orange finished. I pay £15 per month for a goodybag which gives me 250 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data. They do different priced goodybags or you can just use your credit as normal. I've found them very good so far, they use the O2 network so coverage is good. The only slightly odd thing to get used to is that the network is pretty much run by it's users, so if you have any issues you go to the community forum rather than phone customer services. This seems to work pretty well though as far as I can tell. hope this helps, any more questions please ask :)

MrMckenna Jun 24th 2012 9:45 am

On PAYG £25 per month you get 1500 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited Internet and giffgaff to giffgaff is free it's one of it's many goody bags.

I use giffgaff in England but the reception ain't the best always hear people complaining.

jenny heading home Jun 25th 2012 6:05 pm

wow thats is really cheap, better than i expected. I guess i will defiantly give them a go as nothing to loose really when its PAYG. Thank you :)

MrMckenna Jun 25th 2012 6:16 pm

It's an Asian friend of mine from Birmingham who started giffgaff he had a deal with o2 for so many million minutes plus Internet data and sells them on for his own price. Quite simple but very clever!!

Londonuck Jun 26th 2012 1:28 am

Originally Posted by jenny heading home (Post 10130183)
has anyone heard of giffgaff in the UK? It is a mobile phone network provider i believe. Someone mentioned it to me saying that they were supposed to be reasonable for PAYG

We had it at home and it was excellent. 10 quid PAYG for 250 mins, free texts to other GG users and unlimited internet, no data limit. Canadians cant believe we got all that for 10 quid a month. :)

nwtrucker Jun 26th 2012 5:55 pm

Me and my wife use giffgaff too. I bought a smartphone on Orange, had it unlocked and now pay for a 'goodybag' £10 per month for 250 mins, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited internet. Compared to the other providers it's a complete no-brainer. You can also buy 'extra' credit which allows you to text abroad at a ridiculously low rate too. I'll be gutted to lose them when we move to Canada! Have a look at the website.

Londonuck Jun 27th 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwtrucker (Post 10140458)
I'll be gutted to lose them when we move to Canada! Have a look at the website.

Mate, its an absolute rip off here. Im on a PAYG through 7-11 (Speakeasy) 25 bucks for 100 mins and you get charged mins when people ring you as well.