Wikiposts

Getting UK Spouse Visa

Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

gdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nicegdwink is just really nice
Default Getting UK Spouse Visa

Hello everyone -
I'm hoping to receive some straightforward advice on a couple of issues.

Firstly -
When my UK fiance comes here to visit, is there a way to extend his 90-stay for an extra 60 days?

If we got married whilst he were here, how easy is it to get a UK spouse visa for me to return with him?

I hesitate to apply because at present, I'm the more financially stable one and it appears from what I've read that he's the one they (UK Gov) want to have the bank accts, established home, job, etc.

I've read what a nightmare it is to try for a US spouse visa, and I'm just as happy to go back to UK with him.

Is it possible to get a UK spouse visa for me if I'm the one with the assets?

We leaning toward him coming here for his 90-days and then my returning with him (hopefully they'll stamp my passport for 6-mos) and whilst in the UK establishing a bank acct together, leasing a flat, etc. Then returning to the US when my 6-month's is up and getting married. Then applying for the visa whilst in the US.

Is this making sense to anyone?

Also, does anyone know the link for applying online for the UK spouse visa?

Sorry this is so drawn out, I'm getting punchy after reading so many threads and not wanting to leave anything out of mine.

Many thanks to all who take the time to chime in : )
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting UK Spouse Visa

Originally Posted by gdwink
Hello everyone -
I'm hoping to receive some straightforward advice on a couple of issues.

Firstly -
When my UK fiance comes here to visit, is there a way to extend his 90-stay for an extra 60 days?

If we got married whilst he were here, how easy is it to get a UK spouse visa for me to return with him?

I hesitate to apply because at present, I'm the more financially stable one and it appears from what I've read that he's the one they (UK Gov) want to have the bank accts, established home, job, etc.

I've read what a nightmare it is to try for a US spouse visa, and I'm just as happy to go back to UK with him.

We leaning toward him coming here for his 90-days and then my returning with him (hopefully they'll stamp my passport for 6-mos) and whilst in the UK establishing a bank acct together, leasing a flat, etc. Then returning to the US when my 6-month's is up and getting married. Then applying for the visa whilst in the US.

Is this making sense to anyone?

Also, does anyone know the link for applying online for the UK spouse visa?

Sorry this is so drawn out, I'm getting punchy after reading so many threads and not wanting to leave anything out of mine.

Many thanks to all who take the time to chime in : )
We don't know much here about the details for the UK spouse visa; we usually refer people to the uk-yankee forums.

You can't extend a VWP visit.. 90 days max.

The US process isn't *that* difficult. I mean, most of us here managed it (and we're none too bright for the most part ).
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

#1: No.

#2: Why do you think it's a nightmare?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

gdw,

It takes longer than most people wish it would, but a "nightmare" only rarely.

Regards, JEff

I've read what a nightmare it is to try for a US spouse visa,
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No. There is simply no mechanism to do that.

Pretty easy.

I've read what a nightmare it is to try for a US spouse visa...
To put things in proper perspective, for every *one* horror story you've read about, there are *thousands* who have no problems! And even for those who do have problems, it's hardly a nightmare... more like a bad dream!

Yes, of course you can get a visa.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

ChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud of

"Nightmare"? I am finding the US spouse visa process much more pleasant than the UK one. I am a US citizen over here in the UK with my Polish husband. Every time I need to extend my UK visa I have to send my passport off to the home office and they keep it for 6 months. One time they even sent it back after 6 months rejecting the application because of a minor bureaucratic paperwork glitch and I had to start again.

At least with the US system, they won't take my husband's passport until the interview and he'll get it back a few days later. It is horrible to be stuck without your passport when there are so many good deals on Ryanair and Easyjet to Europe from London.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

huwie78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found it very easy to get a UK spouse visa. I had been in the UK as visitor for the maximum of six months then my husband proposed as I was leaving. We got married in the interim in the US and it took me literally one to two weeks to apply for and receive my UK spouse visa(and that was from the US so all my post). Just make sure you have all the papers you need. I applied for the visa myself, where as for the US visa for my husband, I am also doing a lot of that myself too as that is how they have it.
I have also extended my visa as the two years was up. They normally prefer you to apply for residency after the two years and expect you to explain why you are only applying to extend your spouse visa if you do not want residency, in my case I just wrote a letter to say my reason is to stay with my husband while we are applying for his US visa. That only took a couple of weeks to get back, and not too much of a pain to have to send in my passport with it as I was not planning on going anywhere during that time. It is extended for another two years. You can also continue to work during that time.

It has so far been 10 months that we have been going through the process of applying for my husband's US visa. It is a bit more difficult and time consuming, I wouldn't say a nightmare, and this forum has definitely helped, but you just have to read and reread things so many times as every time you do, you realise more and more about what it means. It just takes some time and dedication, but it was definitely quicker to get my UK spouse visa.
Hope this helps
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What do you define as a nightmare? You could start the K1 fiance visa process right now, and he could be coming over to stay with you permanently in 6-9months.

If you definitey want to move with him to the UK, then you need to go to the Uk-yankee forum (a totally different website - use google to find it) and begin asking your questions about the US->UK process and what is required.

You may find that it is not so easy for you to get a bank account, lease a flat, etc without a visa. I think they can be very picky about that sort of thing in the UK.

We decided on teh K1 route ourselves because I was the one with the higher income. If you are worried about him meeting the income requirements, think long and hard about which direction you want to go.