Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting a UK driving license

Getting a UK driving license

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

rushie10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a UK driving license

My wife is moving back to England with me, the visa and plane tickets are all sorted, what's the deal with her driving over there? I've heard she can drive for up to 12 months with her American license, is this right? Does anyone have a resource/website I could look at?

Can she take driving lessons in the UK with her American license? Or does she need to get her English temps?

Thanks, Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a UK driving license

Originally Posted by rushie10
My wife is moving back to England with me, the visa and plane tickets are all sorted, what's the deal with her driving over there? I've heard she can drive for up to 12 months with her American license, is this right? Does anyone have a resource/website I could look at?

Can she take driving lessons in the UK with her American license? Or does she need to get her English temps?

Thanks, Ian
Google is your friend: https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

rushie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly what I was looking for, that's the real deal. Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

12 months on her US licence, after which she needs to hold a full UK licence or give up. She should apply for her UK provisional licence straight away and start driving lessons as the UK test will be far more difficult than the equivalent US test and she may need multiple attempts to crack it.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushie10
Exactly what I was looking for, that's the real deal. Thanks.
Note that she can take the theory test any time after receiving her provisional licence but for the practical test she must have been resident here for at least 6 months. Our son recently passed his practical test first time but he did take driving lessons shortly before he put in for the test with an instructor who took him on typical test routes and trained him specifically on how to pass the test (he had been driving in the USA for 15 years so knew how to handle a car)

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your test.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

uaemanc is an unknown quantity at this point

does this apply to a british citizen wishing to apply? as theyv been out of the country for 3 yrs... does the 6months apply to them too?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uaemanc
does this apply to a british citizen wishing to apply? as theyv been out of the country for 3 yrs... does the 6months apply to them too?
I don’t know but you can email them and ask, which is what I did for my son who returned from the USA after many years away, and they confirmed the 183 days wait.

You can send a message from the website or email them at
[email protected]

Below is the reply I received from them earlier this year

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your email dated 7 February.

I can confirm that they must have lived here for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day they take their test. This is regardless of which country they have moved from.

You can view that here.

The examiner will also make them sign a declaration before the test commences to confirm this.

How did we do? Please take a few moments to complete our customer satisfaction survey by clicking here.

Yours sincerely

Marie Hawkins | Customer Support Representative

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

Phone: 0300 200 1122

[img]blob:https://britishexpats.com/e6358df9-a...8-083a0aeb09d3

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa

Follow us: facebook.com/dvsagovuk | youtube.com/dvsagovuk |twitter.com/dvsa_helpme

Sent: 07 February 2018 14:03
To: CSU <[email protected]>
Subject: Residency requirements when arriving from the USA to get a driving licence

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 28th 2018 at 3:52 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking to apply for a UK driving licence for the first time?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

I had a provisional license but never too the practical test there as I moved to the UAE ended up passing my driving test in the UAE. Now that me and my spouse are shifting we r both looking to get our drivers license as soon as we can.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:23 pm

I had a provisional license but never too the practical test there as I moved to the UAE ended up passing my driving test in the UAE. Now that me and my spouse are shifting we r both looking to get our drivers license as soon as we can.
Sounds like you’ll be waiting six months as well then.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for lettin me know.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
12 months on her US licence,
It is 365 days, not a full year if a leap year comes into play. That was my practical traffic law exam at Hendon Police College and the "driver" had been resident 366 days, but on dates exactly one year. Jan 28th 1976 to Jan 27th 1977 strange how things stick in your mind even after many years.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
It is 365 days, not a full year if a leap year comes into play. That was my practical traffic law exam at Hendon Police College and the "driver" had been resident 366 days, but on dates exactly one year. Jan 28th 1976 to Jan 27th 1977 strange how things stick in your mind even after many years.
Top fact!
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point

What if my US driving license is expired couple months after I arrive England? Does it mean I can’t drive at all?

Old Aug 31st 2018, 5:49 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minhan
What if my US driving license is expired couple months after I arrive England? Does it mean I can’t drive at all?

If your US driving license has expired it is invalid in the UK. You could use it until it does expire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.