Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting A UK Bank account Open

Wikiposts

Getting A UK Bank account Open

Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:48 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting A UK Bank account Open

It's nearly impossible to get a UK bank account if you've left the country so thankfully I left my HSBC Uk account fully active.
However, my English born husband cannot open a UK account from Australia even if I introduce him as my husband. This means we can't open a joint account into which to transfer joint funds when we go back.

But...........I have just been told of a way to do it by the UK HSBC. If you open an account with an Australian HSBC, they will introduce you as a customer to the UK HSBC who will then allow you to open an account.

Just thought I'd post this as opening a British bank account while out of the country is a nightmare.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting A UK Bank account Open

hi
was back in scotland in june this year.both myself and husband are british (me scot) him yorkshire. opened a bank account only a savings account through bank of scotland. interest not good, but will change to a different account once we are back perm.cant get a current account until we are in country 6 months? and are on electoral roll to get a credit rating apparently. we showed bank statements,utility bills,australian passports etc to open the account.we have been in australia for last 17 years.still havent got our passsword sent to us,all other paperwork and atm card was sent.