Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of commitments in USA so we can leave?

Getting rid of commitments in USA so we can leave?

Old Aug 15th 2007, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

charliebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting rid of commitments in USA so we can leave?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
What a stressful time you are having. How can you consider another baby with all the stress? I only ask because we are in the same situation. We are trying to work out the best way to secure our rights to live in the US and not cock everything up through impatience, sell our house (haven't even put it on the market yet and with all the stories I am reading, I am dreading it already), get everything sorted so we can get back to the UK, find a place to live, jobs etc... and at some point during all this, maybe have another baby.
My last baby I was in bed for 16 weeks as I went into labour at just 20 weeks, so I am high risk too. With no family or friends around I promised myself that if I did it again, I'd make sure I was in the UK, especially with a toddler to care for this time too.
I think we will have to put baby making off for a bit but I can see that you have good reasons to go for it - anyway I wanted to say that I related to your post and good luck with everything. I hope your house goes soon.
No more stressful than your situation. As for the baby, when we conceived this plan, we thought ohhh we will just sell the house like it was no big deal. We knew it could take a little time but we NEVER thought we would still be here at this time. So baby was part of the plan of once we sold the house. Our son was just about to turn 1 when we devised the plan to head back to Blighty, now he is about to turn 2.

We bought our house for 178k 5 years ago. We are listed at 197k and not even a silly offer at this point. It is crazy to think but we are getting bites at 188k as FSBO, but we have invested about 20k into the house to update it completely that we are never going to recoup. It is sad really. If we had to do it all over again, we would have never bought a house here but who knew that Cleveland would go practically belly up and the housing market would crash here first and when we really want out we can't get out.

Nice to know that we are not alone in our struggles. I just hope we both have a bit of luck and can sell and our plans come to fruitition without a ton more stress.

Best!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:29 am
Just Joined

fullerlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are in a similar situation. Owned the house for about 3.5 years, have been on the market for just over 4 months. We've had people interested, but at least 2 have struggled with getting qualified.

I've landed myself a good job back in the UK so we have decided to just go for it and leave the house on the market. It's not ideal, but we don't want this crappy housing market to dictate what we do for the next few years. Our US savings will go towards paying the mortgage here, and our UK savings will be enough for a deposit in the UK.

Does anyone know if UK mortgage lenders check US records?

Lee

PS. Anyone want to buy a house?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

charliebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fullerlee
Hi,

We are in a similar situation. Owned the house for about 3.5 years, have been on the market for just over 4 months. We've had people interested, but at least 2 have struggled with getting qualified.

I've landed myself a good job back in the UK so we have decided to just go for it and leave the house on the market. It's not ideal, but we don't want this crappy housing market to dictate what we do for the next few years. Our US savings will go towards paying the mortgage here, and our UK savings will be enough for a deposit in the UK.

Does anyone know if UK mortgage lenders check US records?

Lee

PS. Anyone want to buy a house?
Have you considered a rent to own program or just renting it while you are in the UK? We unfortunately cannot do this, but a lot of people seem to be turning to that route due to current market conditions.

You may also want to consider using the classifieds on this site to increase your exposure. You can see ours by clicking on the link to my classifieds just below my user name on the site.

If your realtor has not done so, you also may want to consider additional exposure avenues such as craigslist. I am amazed how many calls to our realtor and people at our open houses who found us because of craigslist.

I believe I have read on a number of occassions that lenders in the UK do not routinely check US credit records. However, if you feel it will benefit you for them to have the information, obtain current copies of your credit report and a reference letter from your current lender.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:52 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Heres the problem, we are desperate to leave here, but the houses arent selling. Some near us have been for sale for years. We have to sell up to get out of this loop we are stuck in. We dont want to be here another day never mind a year.
Someone told us of an English guy that just gave his house back to the mortgage company and left, as he had enough of being stuck here because of his house.
Is this possible in an emergency? Im thinking we might need to put a time limit on how long we are willing to stay and can afford to pay the mortgage.
Im worried it will affect our credit hsitory though, the banks in the Uk will take our credit here, but if we had to do anything this drastic it would be after we have moved back, so I dont know if they would even be interested after our credit has restarted back there.
Theres enough equity in the house for the mortgage to still make plenty on it after fees etc.
We are just getting pretty desperate :'(
Thanks
my sympathies, it can be very stressful. My house has been on the market since feb- I'm in washington state. We had an offer then they dropped out after we fixed everything on the home inpection. We got their ernest money back but big whoop.
Now just sitting and waiting again. Originally we had hoped to get out before my daughter was born but now she's a month old. Nice US hospital experience mind you.

Hello to all who are still on here that I recognise!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
my sympathies, it can be very stressful. My house has been on the market since feb- I'm in washington state. We had an offer then they dropped out after we fixed everything on the home inpection. We got their ernest money back but big whoop.
Now just sitting and waiting again. Originally we had hoped to get out before my daughter was born but now she's a month old. Nice US hospital experience mind you.

Hello to all who are still on here that I recognise!
Hello Hayley...congratulations on the birth of your daughter. What have you called her and do you have any pics to put in the Gallery? I know you were hoping to be back in the UK by now but at least your daughter is a dually.

I hope you manage to sell your house soon. Any chance of renting it out until you find a buyer?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:10 am

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello Hayley...congratulations on the birth of your daughter. What have you called her and do you have any pics to put in the Gallery? I know you were hoping to be back in the UK by now but at least your daughter is a dually.

I hope you manage to sell your house soon. Any chance of renting it out until you find a buyer?
Thanks for the congrats Jersey! we called her Elsa Iris- no pics uploaded as yet.

We have been really down as my mums house has sold and she is back to the Uk at the end of this month I know things could be worse but it's really hard to snap out of a down time sometimes.
Trying to count my blessings :-)
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Thanks for the congrats Jersey! we called her Elsa Iris- no pics uploaded as yet.

We have been really down as my mums house has sold and she is back to the Uk at the end of this month I know things could be worse but it's really hard to snap out of a down time sometimes.
Trying to count my blessings :-)
What a beautiful name...I can't wait to see her.

I like to think things happen for a reason. It may be difficult at the time but I usually find when I look back I can see the reason and it all works out for the best. Hang in there...it will all come right you'll see.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What a beautiful name...I can't wait to see her.

I like to think things happen for a reason. It may be difficult at the time but I usually find when I look back I can see the reason and it all works out for the best. Hang in there...it will all come right you'll see.
thanks for the words of support.

It's just very hard to view it that way as our savings are about to run out and I don't know how much longer we can even afford the house. I am really at a low point- returning to this site makes me feel tons better though- just reading others posts and thinking that sounds just like us. Plus some poor folks have it way worse.