Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting a provisional licence on moving back to UK

Getting a provisional licence on moving back to UK

Old Apr 29th 2019, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

kajalo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a provisional licence on moving back to UK

My son has been living in Poland since September 2017 with his Dad. I have remained in England during this time. My son is moving back to the UK this summer and would like to get a provisional licence and take driving lessons and his test as soon as possible. Do you know if he has to wait 185 days to apply for the licence or to take his test? Could he claim residency at my address for the last three years as this is the address that he will be returning to? If he applies for the provisional licence online he has to declare that he has been resident in the UK in order to submit his application so we are unsure what to do as we don't want to lie but there is no information on this on the DVLA website.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a provisional licence on moving back to UK

Our son was in a similar situation and even though he was coming back to live in our house the application for a provisional licence clearly asked him to state that he was living at our address so he didn’t want to lie and waited to apply for his licence until he arrived back into England. We checked with DVLA via email on their site and got the clear answer that he had to wait 6 months before he could take a test and that the driving examiner would ask him to sign a form stating that he had been resident for at least 6 months.

It wasn’t really an issue as he could drive on his US licence for up to 12 months.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a provisional licence on moving back to UK

You have to wait for six months before you can take your test:

You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your test.
https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

But your son can apply for his provisional licence as soon as he moves to the UK.

Last edited by BritInParis; Apr 30th 2019 at 12:36 am.