Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting out of my car lease

Getting out of my car lease

Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

JDH101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting out of my car lease

Does anyone have any experience in getting out of their car lease? I live in California, and we are moving back to the UK. I've annoyingly got about 2 plus years on my lease. I have a feeling this isn't going to be pretty....
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting out of my car lease

Originally Posted by JDH101
Does anyone have any experience in getting out of their car lease? I live in California, and we are moving back to the UK. I've annoyingly got about 2 plus years on my lease. I have a feeling this isn't going to be pretty....
I don't know about the USA but Iv done it in the UK and it was pretty straight forward.
When I was moving to NZ I just rung the bank I was with and says I wanted to hand the car back. Took it to the Auction place got it valued and had to pay the difference or any damages to the vehicle. think I had to pay about 500 quid.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are not going back to the USA then just walk away, leave it at the airport.
They cannot get you in the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

As tempting as that is, my wife is American and we will need to come back to visit from time to time.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

There are lease trading web sites, where you can list a lease for someone else to take over. Not all leases a transfer, but many do. Search for lease trading or lease swap in a search engine of choice.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:58 am
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I apologize that I tried to offer some advice but I guess the people in charge think that I am not genuine as this was my first post, so no need to apologize for wasting my time signing up for this site as it is pretty insulting to have a post deleted because SOMEONE thinks it is not correct. Pretty sad you could have contacted me directly to see if I was telling the truth about my recommendation.. go ahead and delete this
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

I recall the suggestion was to look at swapalease.com. I might I have been overly cautious in my earlier post as i was sure if direct 3rd party recommendations were permitted. But just did a quick search and that site has been mentioned inother posts.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 8:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
Well I apologize that I tried to offer some advice but I guess the people in charge think that I am not genuine as this was my first post, so no need to apologize for wasting my time signing up for this site as it is pretty insulting to have a post deleted because SOMEONE thinks it is not correct. Pretty sad you could have contacted me directly to see if I was telling the truth about my recommendation.. go ahead and delete this
We can't contact you directly, you haven't posted enough to enable the PM system.

But look at it from our point of view? You've given no introduction. You've not posted anywhere else or joined in the forums at all, all of your posts were to recommend this one company. The guy in charge of marketing for the company you're pushing happens to have the same name as you (could be a coincidence I know).

Bear in mind we get a lot of spammers, forums do attract them. If you're a genuine forum member, then you're very welcome, but do join in the forums elsewhere before making recommendations. Tell us about yourself, whereabouts in the UK are you from, where are you living in the US now? We have a great US forum and I'm sure people there will be happy to hear from you, particularly anybody that is considering moving to your area, you could help those asking questions - https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/

Once you're an established member, your recommendations will be very welcome.

HTH clarify it a bit.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 2nd 2020 at 8:12 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 12:01 am
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

I joined this foruml back in 2017 when my wife and I started to consider returning back to Wales since then I have gotten a lot of information, sure I have not posted because I really didn't have anything to offer, but when I saw some one asking about what to do about a car lease I thought well I went through this myself last year, we had sold our main car and was intending to return to Wales, we went back in the summer but didn't find a place we liked and realized it was going to take more looking than we realized, so rather than buying a new car I looked at taking over an existing lease which when I first looked into it I was concerned if there were some hidden catches but I was perhaps lucky I found a great seller close to home we did all the paper work together through Toyota and it was very easy and smooth not only for me as a buyer but also for the seller. As it looks like we won't be getting back to Wales this year due to Covid19 I decided to actually extend the least which Toyota was happy to help with and hopefully we can get back on track by the end of this year about looking for a home back in Wales. Hopefully this explains my original post when I just tried to offer some help as I felt I had some experience with taking over a car lease, nothing what so ever to do with promoting the leasing company.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
I joined this foruml back in 2017 when my wife and I started to consider returning back to Wales since then I have gotten a lot of information, sure I have not posted because I really didn't have anything to offer, but when I saw some one asking about what to do about a car lease I thought well I went through this myself last year, we had sold our main car and was intending to return to Wales, we went back in the summer but didn't find a place we liked and realized it was going to take more looking than we realized, so rather than buying a new car I looked at taking over an existing lease which when I first looked into it I was concerned if there were some hidden catches but I was perhaps lucky I found a great seller close to home we did all the paper work together through Toyota and it was very easy and smooth not only for me as a buyer but also for the seller. As it looks like we won't be getting back to Wales this year due to Covid19 I decided to actually extend the least which Toyota was happy to help with and hopefully we can get back on track by the end of this year about looking for a home back in Wales. Hopefully this explains my original post when I just tried to offer some help as I felt I had some experience with taking over a car lease, nothing what so ever to do with promoting the leasing company.
Absolutely fair enough then, thank you for introducing yourself. We just get soooooo many spammers it's unreal, for some reason they seem to have ramped up in the last couple of weeks as well, which at least gives us something to do I guess.

Good luck with your move back to Wales.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the end result? I will have about 6 months on my lease when I leave....
Old Aug 10th 2020, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lauraloulou
What was the end result? I will have about 6 months on my lease when I leave....
I'm not entirely sure. After speaking to BMW finance many times it came down to two options. Sell the car through them but I was probably looking at around 10k or voluntary lease surrendor. That one will hurt my US credit for a period of time but cost me no money. I opted for that as I have now made the move home and don't really care about my US credit. I also think that because of the current Covid situation, they may not put a mark against my name. Who knows.

You should be ok with only 6 months left on your lease. You might even be able to return it at no cost since its under 6 months. My problem was that I had 2 years left on the lease.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 2:18 am
Just Joined

djsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nicedjsoul is just really nice

https://www.swapalease.com/
Old Aug 16th 2020, 12:01 am
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately my lease is not transferable or I would definitely go down the swap a lease route. I have read that you can have your car valued and pay the difference between what you were on the buyout amount. My car has very low mileage so that may be an option I will look into.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

sk_lfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JDH101
I'm not entirely sure. After speaking to BMW finance many times it came down to two options. Sell the car through them but I was probably looking at around 10k or voluntary lease surrendor. That one will hurt my US credit for a period of time but cost me no money. I opted for that as I have now made the move home and don't really care about my US credit. I also think that because of the current Covid situation, they may not put a mark against my name. Who knows.

You should be ok with only 6 months left on your lease. You might even be able to return it at no cost since its under 6 months. My problem was that I had 2 years left on the lease.
I am in a similar position, I have them listed on swapalease and hope to transfer. However if I get no buyer will my bad USA credit follow or will it affect applying for a esta in future or any type of immigration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.